The shadow of your wings

In The Book of Psalms, Psalm 36 Verse 8-9 states:
How precious is your love, O God!
We take refuge in the shadow of your wings.
We feast on the rich food of your house;
from your delightful stream you give us drink.

Would The shadow of your wings be a metaphor for divine protection?

Like baby birds under the protection of mama bird’s wings :smiley:

It reminds me of Jesus saying: Jerusalem, Jerusalem, that killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent to thee, how often would I have gathered thy children as the bird doth her brood under her wings, and thou wouldest not? Luke 13:34

Our Eternal Father’s arms wrapped around His children, protecting us like a mother hen protects her chicks; keeps us warm and safe.

Overshadowing is a big deal in the Bible and the Catholic Church. These posts, based on my Catechism class content, cover the high points:

platytera.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-umbrella-of-lord.html

platytera.blogspot.com/2013/12/doesnt-matter-up-until-i-was-eight.html

platytera.blogspot.com/2014/12/hide-in-plain-sight-2.html

platytera.blogspot.com/2013/04/tough-guys-dont-pitch-tents.html

Yes.

In fact, in some samples of ancient Israelite art - specifically, from during the reign of King Hezekiah (ca. 8th c. BC) - you find the motif of the winged sun disc or the winged scarab (both templates imported from Egypt; Hezekiah had formed an alliance with Egypt against Assyria, and the Egyptians had pretty much influenced the Phoenicians and the peoples the Phoenicians were in contact with, which includes the Israelites/Judahites).

http://barrybandstra.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=617&g2_serialNumber=2

http://biblical-studies.ca/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/04/Hezekiah_bulla_tracing.jpg

One interpretation is that the sun disc and the scarab (another symbol of the sun) are both symbols of Yhwh. In fact, there could also be an allusion here to that trope of depicting a king wrapped in the wings of a falcon. In a way, Yhwh is also symbolized in the same way: as a bird that stretches its wings over the king (and the people) as a symbol of protection and authorization.

Hey that’s right, I forgot about Egyptian overshadowing. I think the Hebrews picked it up there:

platytera.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-borrowers.html

The edges/corners of the one garments are called wings in Hebrew. e.g. 1 Sam 24:4-5 and Ruth 3:9 and to spread one’s wings over another could be a pledge of marriage. Think the Spirit hovering (on wings) over the face of the water (Gen 1:2) as brooding over the egg which the earth will hatch, which is eventually the Bride of Christ. Since the clothes Jesus wore on the cross was His cross, the outstretched arms would be the wings so we are protected under Jesus’ wings at the foot of the cross.
Grace and peace,
Bruce

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.