The share of the population that is Christian in sub-Saharan Africa climbed from 9% in 1910 to 63% in 2010

1 Like

Good news for sub-Saharan Africa, but bad news for Europe.

Our parish has had several priests from Nigeria, Kenya, and Uganda since I have lived in Fort Wayne. All of them have been good priests and one of them is now a bishop. Our bishop traveled to Africa earlier this year to ordain 23 more priests for for one of the thriving religious orders there. I suggested that he take 2 (about 10%) of the priests back to Fort Wayne as his stipend, but there seems to be a problem with that in canon law.

I know what you mean, but actually good news for the Church in Africa is good news for the Church in Europe. We are one Church. Increasingly Christians in Africa have a calling to make disciples in Europe and the Americas.

Well, that’s the Scramble for Africa for you.

Thomas Pakenham? Decent book, but do you really regard this as a form of colonialism come again?

In Africa and in Central America The Church has to constantly compete with the evangelicals who are there in droves trying to spread their faith and even trying specifically to convert Catholics.

They have the advantage of using excitement and emotionalism in their services and presentations which can attract people.

It works both ways. My niece (by marriage) went to Nigeria as an evangelical missionary and returned married to a Catholic Nigerian. She is now in RCIA.

I think one of the important things to observe is that the Catholic Church probably has a very long history of feeding the hungry and those with other needs, clothing and so on. And there are never enough who can provide those basic needs. Yes, Evangelicals are there too.

So are, very much, the Lutherans. We get some of their monthly magazines on work they do in Africa, every little bit helps and I’m not in a position to criticize.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.