The show "Psychic Detectives"

Just wondering what people (IF anyone here watches it) think of this show. I find it entertaining, but am wondering if I should be watching it! I truly believe that there are people with certain heightened perception. It seems it’s okay to use that gift for good. Anyway, just wondering if anyone watches it and if so, what they think of it.

I was watching some show about a psychic solving crimes and she went into Seattle’s underground city into a blind alley where stains that looked like many generations of splattered blood stood on the wall behind her and without the night vision it would have been absolutely dark. She concentrated and said, “Something terrible has happened here.” Well, sure, but how many times a year? I don’t know how heightened some people’s perception is, but I’ve been a psychic and I know that it can be dangerous even when you are tryingto use it for good. You have to let God give you gifts when He decides to, not develop them on your own for your own purposes and sell them for entertainment. You and I and a TV detective aren’t wise or strong enough to control and understand some things, but God is. So I say praying detectives might be a better place to begin. I mean, yes, the gifts God gives us sometimes include seeing and knowing what others don’t, but we should never claim it as our own skill we developed and control. For safety and Godliness, we should give God all control and do it for His glory, when He wants us to use it. do you see what I mean? I may not be explaining very well.

I guess that’s why I’m a little confused. It seems that these “psychic” detectives are doing good, but some have indicated that they are professional psychics, which I’m sure means that they get paid for their services. Some of the psychics are so on the money with their psychic detecting, that it’s quite spooky. Even some of the police detectives are astounded by it. I’m not sure how some of that can be faked. Since so many police employ their services, is it possible that they are the real thing? If they are the real thing, should they use their psychic abilities to help solve crimes? Maybe I should’ve moved this to “moral theology”?

Here’s what the Catechism has to say about this:

Divination and magic (From the Catholic Catechism)

2115 God can reveal the future to his prophets or to other saints. Still, a sound Christian attitude consists in putting oneself confidently into the hands of Providence for whatever concerns the future, and giving up all unhealthy curiosity about it. Improvidence, however, can constitute a lack of responsibility.

2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to “unveil” the future.48 Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.

2117 All practices of magic or sorcery, by which one attempts to tame occult powers, so as to place them at one’s service and have a supernatural power over others - even if this were for the sake of restoring their health - are gravely contrary to the virtue of religion. These practices are even more to be condemned when accompanied by the intention of harming someone, or when they have recourse to the intervention of demons. Wearing charms is also reprehensible. Spiritism often implies divination or magical practices; the Church for her part warns the faithful against it. Recourse to so-called traditional cures does not justify either the invocation of evil powers or the exploitation of another’s credulity.

This should answer your question. forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=171839&highlight=ghosts

Nick,
Yes. That does help me out! Thank you for your response.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.