The Sign of the Cross - Prophesied in the Old Testament

I hope that some might appreciate this obscure prophesy.

Douay Rheims Bible: Ezekiel 9:3-6
"And the glory of the Lord of Israel went up from the cherub, upon which he was, to the threshold of the house: and he called to the man that was clothed with linen, and had a writer’s inkhorn at his loins. And the Lord said to him: Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem: and mark Thau [the Hebrew letter Tav/Taw] upon the foreheads of the men that sigh, and mourn for all the abominations that are committed in the midst thereof. And to the others he said in my hearing: Go ye after him through the city, and strike: let not your eyes spare, nor be ye moved with pity. Utterly destroy old and young, maidens, children and women: but upon whomsoever you shall see Thau, kill him not, and begin ye at my sanctuary. So they began at the ancient men who were before the house."
(Douay Rheims translated from the Clementine Latin Vulgate in 1610 AD)

The Clementine Latin Vulgate: Ezechiel 9:4-6
"Et gloria Domini Israel assumpta est de cherub, quæ erat super eum ad limen domus: et vocavit virum, qui indutus erat lineis, et atramentarium scriptoris habebat in lumbis suis. Et dixit D-minus ad eum: Transi per mediam civitatem in medio Ierusalem: et signa thau super frontes virorum gementium, et dolentium super cunctis abominationibus, quæ fiunt in medio eius. Et illis dixit, audiente me: Transite per civitatem sequentes eum, et percutite: non parcat oculus vester, neque misereamini. Senem, adolescentulum, et virginem, parvulum, et mulieres interficite usque ad internecionem: omnem autem, super quem videritis thau, ne occidatis, et a sanctuario meo incipite. Cœperunt ergo a viris senioribus, qui erant ante faciem domus."
(The Latin Vulgate was translated from Hebrew by St Jerome c. 390 AD)

[RIGHT] יְחֶזְקֵאל ט:ג–ו
וּכְבוֹד | אֱלֹהֵי יִשְׂרָאֵל נַעֲלָה מֵעַל הַכְּרוּב אֲשֶׁר הָיָה עָלָיו אֶל מִפְתַּן הַבָּיִת וַיִּקְרָא אֶל־הָאִישׁ הַלָּבֻשׁ הַבַּדִּים אֲשֶׁר קֶסֶת הַסֹּפֵר בְּמָתְנָיו׃ וַיֹּאמֶר יהוה אלו אֵלָיו] עֲבֹר בְּתוֹךְ הָעִיר בְּתוֹךְ יְרוּשָׁלִָם וְהִתְוִיתָ תָּו עַל־מִצְחוֹת הָאֲנָשִׁים הַנֶּאֱנָחִים וְהַנֶּאֱנָקִים עַל כָּל־הַתּוֹעֵבוֹת הַנַּעֲשׂוֹת בְּתוֹכָהּ׃ וּלְאֵלֶּה אָמַר בְּאָזְנַי עִבְרוּ בָעִיר אַחֲרָיו וְהַכּוּ על־ אַל־] תָּחֹס עיניכם עֵינְכֶם] וְאַל־תַּחְמֹלוּ׃ זָקֵן בָּחוּר וּבְתוּלָה וְטַף וְנָשִׁים תַּהַרְגוּ לְמַשְׁחִית וְעַל־כָּל־אִישׁ אֲשֶׁר־עָלָיו הַתָּו אַל־תִּגַּשׁוּ וּמִמִּקְדָּשִׁי תָּחֵלּוּ וַיָּחֵלּוּ בָּאֲנָשִׁים הַזְּקֵנִים אֲשֶׁר לִפְנֵי הַבָּיִת׃
[/RIGHT](I couldn’t bolden tav. Tav appears near the top and at the bottom of the text. :))

Ezekiel lived about 593 years before Christ. Tav/Taw at that time looked like a cross: http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/532822_366393573425023_200097130_n.jpg.

Ezekiel 9:11
"And behold the man that was clothed with linen, that had the inkhorn at his back, returned the word, saying: I have done as thou hast commanded me."

Jesus is the man in linen. He is the one who marks people with his sign, Tav. It is the sign of the Cross. That sign saves his own people from the weapon of destruction that kills all of the others.

See more about the Paleo-Hebrew Alephbet: Paleo-Hebrew alphabet - Wikipedia

Beautiful, but hardly obscure…think Ash Wedneday Mass.

[quote="Neofight, post:2, topic:287886"]
Beautiful, but hardly obscure...think Ash Wedneday Mass.

[/quote]

:p :thumbsup:

[quote="Neofight, post:2, topic:287886"]
Beautiful, but hardly obscure...think Ash Wedneday Mass.

[/quote]

Prefigurement of the successor of Passover blood on the lintels and door posts (Exodus 12:7-23).

“The Tau has exactly the same form as the Cross on which our Lord was crucified on Calvary, and only those will be marked with this sign and will obtain mercy who have mortified their flesh and conformed their life to that of the Crucified Savior.” St Francis of Assisi

source
tssf.org/tau.shtml

Thank you sooo much for this!! I needed some help on this topic and i just found it! :smiley: :thumbsup:

Very interesting stuff. Thanks!

Which is why Francis signed documents with a *T * (Tau):)

May God bless all dearest brothers sisters here, :)

:angel1:
Let the early Christian fish symbol compare to the sign of cross, and we will keep ourselves in the love of God till Christ lead His children to eternal life.

The prophecy was partially fulfilled in the destruction of Jerusalem, when all the inhabitants were killed. The Christians, those marked with the cross, were forewarned and fled the city before the battle.

This is modern Hebrew Tav: ת This is Tav from the time of Ezekiel: http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/206166_368058606591853_363328633_n.jpg

The early "protestant" Bible translators translated Tav as Thau, not just the Catholic. If Tav means "a mark", then the "new" translations should say: "...mark a mark upon the foreheads..." Thau is the Latin word for the Hebrew letter Tav. The Hebrew letter ת's name is spelt: "תו" in Hebrew.

Ezechiel 9:3-6 John Wycliffe (the first English) Bible (1395) translated from Latin
And the glorie of the Lord of Israel was takun vp fro cherub, which glorie was on it, to the threisfold of the hous; and the Lord clepide the man that was clothid with lynun clothis, and hadde a pennere of a writere in hise leendis. And the Lord seide to hym, Passe thou bi the myddis of the citee, in the myddis of Jerusalem, and marke thou Thau on the forhedis of men weilynge and sorewynge on alle abhomynaciouns that ben doon in the myddis therof. And he seide to hem in myn heryng, Go ye thorouy the citee, and sue ye hym, and smytte ye; youre iye spare not, nether do ye merci. Sle ye til to deth, an eld man, a yong man, and a virgyn, a litil child, and wymmen; but sle ye not ony man, on whom ye seen Thau; and bigynne ye at my seyntuarie. Therfore thei bigunnen at the eldere men, that weren bifore the face of the hous.

Ezechiel 9:3-6 Miles Coverdale Bible (1535) translated from Hebrew
for the glory of the LORDE was gone awaye from the Cherub, and was come downe to the thresholde of the house, & he called the ma, that had the lynnynge rayment vpon him, and the writers ynckhorne by his syde, And the glorie of the Lord of Israel was takun vp fro cherub, which glorie was on it, to the threisfold of the hous; and the Lord clepide the man that was clothid with lynun clothis, and hadde a pennere of a writere in hise leendis. and the LORDE sayde vnto him: Go thy waye thorow the cite of Ierusalem, and set this marck ת Thau vpo the foreheades of them, that mourne, and are sory for all the abhominacions, that be done therin. And to the other, he sayde that I might heare: Go ye after him thorow the cite, slaye, ouersee none, spare none: Kyll, & destroye both olde men and yonge, maydens, children, and wyues. But as for those, that haue this marck** ת Thau** vpo them: se that ye touch them not, and begynne at my Sanctuary. Then they begane at the elders, which were in the Temple,

Ezechiel 9:3-6 Matthew's Bible (1537) translated from Hebrew
for the glory of the Lorde was gone awaye from the Cherub, and was come downe to the thresholde of the house, and he called the man that had the lynen rayment vpon him, and the wryters ynckhorn by hys syde, and the Lorde sayde unto him: Go thy waye thorow the cyte of Jerusalem, and set thys marcke ת Thau vpon the foreheades of them, that mourne and are sory for all the abhomynacyons, that be done therin. And to the other, he sayd that I myght heare: Go ye after hym thorow the cyte, slaye, ouerse none, spare none: kyll and destroye both olde men and yonge, maydes, chyldren, and wyues. But as for those, that haue this marcke ת Thau vpon them: se that ye touch them not, and begynne at my Sanctuary. Then they begane at the elders, which were in the temple,

Ezechiel 9:3-6 Matthew-Tyndale Bible (1549) translated from Hebrew
for the glory of the Lord was gone awaye from the Cherub, and was come downe to the threshold of the house, and he called the man that had the lynen rayment vpon hym, and the wryters ynck horne by hys syde, and the Lorde sayde unto hym: Go thy waye thorow the cytye of Jerusalem, and set this marke. Thau vpon the foreheades of them that mourn and are sory for al the abhomynacyouns, that bee done therin. And to the other, he said that I might heare: Go ye after hym thorow the cite: slaye, ouerse none, spare none: kyll and destroie both olde men and yonge, maydens, children and wyues. But as for those, that haue this marke Thau vpon them: se that ye touch them not, and begynne at my Sanctuary. Then they beganne at the elders, whiche were in the temple,

Ezechiel 9:3-6 Taverner's Bible (1551) translated from Hebrew
for the glory of the Lorde was gone awaye from the Cherub, aand was come downe to the threshold of the house, and he called the man that had the linnen rayment vpon him, and the writers ynckhorne by hys syde, and then Lorde sayd vnto him: Go thy way thorowe the cytye of Jerusalem, and set this marke, Thau, vpon the foreheades of them that mourne and are sorye for all the abhomynacions that be done therein. And to the other he sayd that I might heare: Go ye after him thorow the citye, slaye, ouerse none, spare none, kyll and destroy both olde men and yonge maydens, chyldren and wyues. But as for those that haue this marcke Thau, vpon them, se that ye touche them not, and begyn at my Sanctuarye. Then they began at the elders whiche were in the temple,

Ezechiel 9:3-6 Knox's Bible (1945) translated from Latin
and now, borne on cherub wings, the glory of Israel's God rose above the threshold of the house, summoning him of the linen clothes and the ink-horn to set about his task. Make your way, the Lord said to him, all through the city, from end to end of Jerusalem; and where you find men that weep and wail over the foul deeds done in it, mark their brows with a cross. To the others I heard him say, Yours it is to traverse the city at his heels, and smite. Never let eye of yours melt with pity; old and young, man and maid, mother and child, all alike destroy till none is left, save only where you see the cross marked on them. And begin first with the temple itself.

Ezekiel 9:3-6 The Jerusalem Bible (1966) translated from Hebrew
The glory of the God of Israel rose off the cherubs where it had been and went up to the threshold of the Temple. He called the man in white with a scribe's ink horn in his belt and said, 'Go all through the city, all through Jerusalem, and mark a cross on the foreheads of all who deplore and disapprove of all the filth practised in it'. I heard him say to the others, 'Follow him through the city, and strike. Show neither pity nor mercy; old men, young men, virgins, children, women, kill and exterminate them all. But do not touch anyone with a cross on his forehead. Begin at my sanctuary.' So they began with the old men in front of the Temple.

Ezekiel 9:3-6 The New Jerusalem Bible (1985) translated from Hebrew
The glory of the God of Israel rose from above the winged creature where it had been, towards the threshold of the Temple. He called to the man dressed in linen with a scribe's ink-horn in his belt and Yahweh said to him, 'Go all through the city, all through Jerusalem, and mark a cross on the foreheads of all who grieve and lament over all the loathsome practices in it.' I heard him say to the others, 'Follow him through the city and strike. Not one glance of pity; show no mercy; old men, young men, girls, children, women, kill and exterminate them all. But do not touch anyone with a cross on his forehead. Begin at my sanctuary.' So they began with the old men who were in the Temple.

Ezekiel 9:3-6 Christian Community Bible (1988) translated from Hebrew
Then the Glory of the God of Israel rose from the cherubim where it rested and went to the threshold of the house. Yahweh called to the man clothed in linen who had the material for writing at his side, and he said to him, “Pass through the center of the city, through Jerusalem, and trace a cross on the forehead of the men who sigh and groan because of all the abominations committed in it.” I heard him say to the others, “Now you may pass through the city after him and strike. Your eyes shall not look with pity; show no mercy! Do away with them all – old men, young men, virgins, children and women – but do not touch anyone marked with a cross.” And as they were told to begin with the sanctuary, they struck the elders who were in front of the Temple.

Hebrew, Transliteration of Hebrew, Clementine Latin Vulgate, English Translation
--מִצְחוֹת----עַל----תָּו---וְהִתְוִיתָ
v'hitavita--tav----al----mitschot
--signa----thau--super--frontes
--mark-----tav---on----forehead

Learned about these translations having the actual Hebrew Tav and Thau from reading the originals here: bibles-online.net/ . Bible search engines do not make you aware of the Hebrew letter missing from what you are reading online. That website did not have John Wycliffe's Old Testament, therefore, I do not know if he included Hebrew Tav with Thau. Here is a picture of the Miles Coverdale Bible with with the Hebrew Tav next to the Thau pointed out and circled in green:
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/7979_367958766601837_582589579_n.jpg
Source: bibles-online.net/1535/OldTestament/26-Ezekiel/

Thank you and God bless you for this as well.

I understand the mark on the forehead on Ash Wednesday but what about blessing oneself while making the sign of the Cross (tracing it on your forehead) with blessed oil?

[quote="goforgoal, post:12, topic:287886"]
Thank you and God bless you for this as well.

I understand the mark on the forehead on Ash Wednesday but what about blessing oneself while making the sign of the Cross (tracing it on your forehead) with blessed oil?

[/quote]

Always use the sign of the Cross anointing anything onto you or your children. The original way to make the sign of the Cross was to use your thumb to trace it on your forehead. +

The the New American Bible, Revised Edition translates Tav as X. See here:
Ezekiel 9:3-6 the New American Bible, Revised Edition (2011) translated from Hebrew
Then he called to the man dressed in linen with the writer's case at his waist, saying to him: Pass through the city (through Jerusalem) and mark an X on the foreheads of those who moan and groan over all the abominations that are practiced within it. To the others I heard him say: Pass through the city after him and strike! Do not look on them with pity nor show any mercy! Old men, youths and maidens, women and children--wipe them out! But do not touch any marked with the X; begin at my sanctuary. So they began with the men (the elders) who were in front of the temple.

I’m no bible scholar and this is amazing to me. Thank you very much. Might have to buy a D-R bible.

I am not a scholar, however, I've studied enough. Protestants and Catholics agreed that Tav was the mark and was translated as Thau. An original Geneva Bible's footnote that I read said: "literally, mark a Thau". An original King James Version that I read had a footnote that said: "literally, mark a mark". Here are the first complete English translations numbered:

Everyone of the following translations of the Bible say: mark Thau:
1. John Wycliffe (the first English) Bible (1395) translated by a Protestant
2. Miles Coverdale Bible (1535) translated by a Protestant
3. Matthew's Bible (1537) translated by a Protestant
4. Matthew-Tyndale Bible (1549) translated by a Protestant
5. Taverner's Bible (1551) translated by a Protestant
9. Douay Rheims (1609) translated by Catholics

Everyone of the following translations of the Bible say: put a mark:
6. The Great Bible (1541) translated by a Protestant
7. The Geneva Bible (1560) translated by Protestants
8. The Bishops’ Bible (1568) translated by Protestants
10.The King James Version (1611) translated by Protestants

The Tau cross is the one St. Francis used after he lost his vision - I think it is how he signed things, with the Tau cross, and Franciscans still wear it. This makes it very significant to me, as Francis was the one God asked to rebuild his church!

closed #17

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.