The significance of consumming the Eucharist

Can someone point me in the direction of articles or explanations on the significance of consuming Christ in the Eucharist.

Does it reflect back to a Jewish tradition of some sort, it is something new with Christianity, (to consume one’s God).

I was thinking the other day how unique an idea that was. I don’t know of other faith traditions that do so, and was wondering about the theology behind it.

I know Christ instituted the Eucharist, but was wondering if it “fulfilled” a previous prophecy or ritual, or was it a new order.

bringyou.to/apologetics/a4.htm

In the OT (Exodus, I think), the Hebrews are told to slaughter a lamb, put its blood on the doorway of their houses, and then consume the lamb. All this must be done in order for the Angel of Death of pass past that household. The consumption of the lamb was vital.
Let me dig around for links-
here’s one:
leaderu.com/theology/passover.html

thanks! That is helping this make sense. I never knew that the lamb had to be roasted on a wooden stick! NOT metal, a spit of wood, pretty neat, I mean, well, you know, the similarity between the spit and the cross.

thanks,

cheddar

If you come across it, the similarities between the proscribed treatment of the Passover lamb and what Jesus endured prior to His crucifixion are equally interesting.

If I come across it, I’ll post it.

16The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ? 17Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body, for we all partake of the one bread. 18Consider the people of Israel; are not those who eat the sacrifices partners in the altar? 19What do I imply then? That food offered to idols is anything, or that an idol is anything? 20No, I imply that what pagans sacrifice they offer to demons and not to God. I do not want you to be partners with demons. 21You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons. You cannot partake of the table of the Lord and the table of demons. (1 Cor 10:16-21)One significance is that consuming the Eucharist makes us participants in the sacrifice offered on the table of the Lord and, thereby, partners with the Lord.

Also, since Jesus Christ sacrificed his Body and Blood on the Cross for a particular purpose, namely, to reconcile mankind to God, those who worthily consume the Eucharist, the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ, receive that reconciliation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.