The Simpsons Movie

Just starting this thread for those who have seen The Simpsons Movie. I can’t wait to see it, however knowing me, I’ll probably wait for the DVD.

I’ll rent it.

Since it is not really a “big screen” type movie – it looks no different than the show – I don’t want to spend $10 x2 or whatever movies cost to see it when I can put it on Netflix once it’s out – and I can wait.

I haven’t watched the show for X years so I am not in a rush.

(I used to really enjoy the shows between season 2 and 9, btw, so I am not a simple hater…)

I’ll go see it when it gets to the “Dollar Theater” in my city.

I LOVE the Simpsons, especially Milhouse. He’s so pathetic. Did you know he has the stigmata?

Really?? I watched the Simpsons for years and never knew this…thanks for sharing…interesting! :slight_smile:

I just saw the movie, it was pretty hilarious some parts made everyone in theater go hysterical. Its about an hour and a half long, but the funny parts are so frequent its still worth the money. The only thing i didnt like was there were some mean spirited jokes about God and Christianity. Id give it an 7.5/10 it had alot of smart humor like the tv show.

Quite hilarious. Marge did use GD and there was a bit where you saw Bart’s bits… but otherwise OK. I did like how Flanders was there for Bart. And the overall message of redemption and forgiveness.
Funny as all get out, and worth the time and money- IF you are a Simpson’s fan. Hang around til the very end to catch the Easter Eggs.

One of the worst movies I’ve ever seen…

No new jokes-goes against everything the Simpsons once stood for. Completely cliche.

The jabs against Christianity have gotten more frequent in the past few seasons. This movie had Homer calling God “phoney-baloney” and stated that the Bible “Doesn’t have any answers.” The USCCB dismisses these jokes, but they underlie a basic anti-Christian attitude of the show and the writers. I can’t help but think that the great saints and doctors of the Church would not only have hated this and other movies today, but many would actually preach from the pulpit to their congregation not to watch it. I am certain that St. Augustine would be ashamed at all of us.

Christians tolerate this nonsesne and we wonder why the Church and society is in the state its in…

I have had enough!

And yet it is God who through Abe Simpson (thought no one really listens) who gives warning about what is about to happen.

Oh, please. The whole movie was set up to mock religious visionaries. In the end he was supposed to be just a crazy old man who got something right. The idea that the writers, all who have said they think religion as a whole is a complete joke, would give serious credence to something serious like a vision, is funnier than any of the “jokes” in the movie.

The movie was down right blasphemous.

That was a joke you know.

I enjoyed it. I did not feel ripped off, as I sometimes do when I’ve paid for a movie in the past 7-10 years. The last TV brought to the big screen I liked was “X-Files” in 1998. Of course, one of our theaters has a first movie of the day special- So I got into the Simpsons for $4.

The graphics at times lent themselves better to a big screen. There were a couple scenes, such as the mob going to lynch Homer, that would’ve been fabulous with 3-D glasses.

I did not feel God was mocked, nor Christianity, no more than usual. Remember, Homer had his “Jesus and me” religion until he caught his house on fire in a TV episode. Also, Homer ended up owning the Springfield Church (of Presbo-Lutheranism) until God flooded Springfield. Homer is not the representative of Goodness, or even Truth. Homer is Adam on a bad day.

I did see some ribbing at Al Gore (“An Irritating Truth” presented by Lisa). Big Government was roundly thrashed. And a certain Calfornia governor got his only shot at being president (see, it was useful, too).

I was quite thrilled with the way Ned was there for Bart, and I liked the way that Homer finally had to make an attempt at thinking of somebody other than himself.

I saw double-entendre jokes. I like those, as children catch them at one level, adults another.

I would rather see how St. Thomas Aquinas liked the movie, rather than St. Augustine. It ran a full course, good won out, the greater good won out, the individual was still recognized, and logic was employed from beginning to end.

Wouldn’t it be more anti-Christian to have Homer supporting Christianity? Since he is so selfish and stupid and corrupt? I don’t think many people look at Homer as a role model and will run around repeating what he says as if it were fact.

No more anti-Christian than having the head of the church being the sucessor to the thrice-denier of Christ…

I see you point, but flanders is made out to be a naive doofus and Rev. lovejoy really doesn’t care except when it comes to blocking gays from getting married…

I have no sense of humor, can’t you tell? :wink: I’m just your typical bitter 23-year old :rolleyes:

the joke with homer looking at the bible and finding no answers is that he’s so stupid and selfish is he can’t see any. the joke is about homer being a fool, not about the bible not having answers. if the bible didn’t have answers, how would that be funny?

Now I’m not saying that they don’t mock Christianity, but you should check out: amazon.com/Gospel-According-Simpsons-Spiritual-Animated/dp/0664224199 Someone else on this forum had mentioned it once before and I checked it out and it’s an interesting read regarding religion in the Simpsons. I don’t know that I buy it all, but it might temper your thoughts.

This book came out a number of years ago (in 2001 I believe), and I think many of the more of the overt shots at Christianity have occurred on the show since it was published. I’d be interested to see what the author has to say about the more recent seasons (and episodes like the ones on gay marriage, evolution, etc.).

Most shows ignore religion all together. The Simpsons is one of the few popular programs where you actually see the characters praying and attending church on a regular basis. Of course, their theology is not always on target (and I suppose you could argue that no talk of religion would be preferable to bad theology).

I was a die-hard Simpson fan through season 9 or 10, but then they moved into more low-brow humor (I think Homer was seriously injured or maimed at least once in every episode in seasons 11 through 13) and Lisa became more and more the voice of radical liberalism (which of course is portrayed as eminently reasonable compared with Flanders’ blind faith). There are still some good episodes now and again, but nothing like it once was. Now, I don’t usually make any extra effort to even watch it.

That said, I know I’ll be going soon to see the movie. :o

Another interesting book you could read would be “The Simpsons and Philosophy: The D’oh! of Homer.” If anybody is interested in philosophy and likes The Simpsons, they will enjoy this book. It uses
situations from The Simpsons as springboards into discussions about various areas of philosophy.

I just wrote down the info on the “Gospel According To The Simpsons” so I can get it from my local library’s interlibrary loan. (Ask your library if they have one! Since so many people on here are heavy readers, you’ll love it as much as I do I’m willing to bet) Personally, I’m in the process of getting the season DVD sets because I really do enjoy the show. I haven’t been watching it on Sunday nights too often in the past few seasons because sometimes it does get a little ridiculous, but I’m willing to bet the Simpsons on their worse behaviour still is much preferable to South Park on it’s best behaviour.

I’ve heard alot of good reviews of the movie, and I’m batting back and forth about catching a matinee next week, since our local movie theater will do $4 a ticket (hopefully they still do this!) on weekday matinees. We’re not big time movie going people, preferring to rent and watch at home, but I make it to the theater a couple of times a year, usually for highly anticipated films. I might end up waiting for the DVD, though, since the “Halloween” remake comes out at the end of this month and “Diary of the Dead” in Sept.

All I know is I’m thrilled it beat out that abomination “I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry” by such a wide margin!

My husband uses this book as a “kick-start” for people who claim they do not like philosophy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.