The sinfulness of Alchohol

Hello all…

I had a party the other night and one of my protestant friends came over, and she is devout in her religion, and I in mine, and normally we agree to disagree.

We always discuss though, and she mentioned, while drinking a wine cooler by the way, that alchohol is sinful in all ways…and that she never partakes unless she’s at my house (the only Catholic in town)…Of course we went through the whole thing…Jesus’ first miracle…references by Paul…Anything in excess is sinful…and her belief that the wine was unfermented. Historically that is incorrect, and that’s where it went from there. Decent discussion.

BUT…after she left I began thinking about this position, and what protestants think about medication. She, for instance, has a nerve disorder and is on valium. How is Valium O.K. and alchohol not? Before someone says one is prescribed, and the other is not, Lets think back to the day when there were no Prescriptions…just to make it interesting and fair. Besides…I knew a man who was “prescribed” to drink beer to straighten up a bladder infection.

As someone who considers himself an alcoholic in recovery I can say that I don’t believe that there is anything inherently wrong or sinful w/ alcohol. However, I do believe my drunkeness was sinful and this seems to be what the bible points to as well. I think the same thing could be said for medications when abused…

Chris

[quote=christopher754]As someone who considers himself an alcoholic in recovery I can say that I don’t believe that there is anything inherently wrong or sinful w/ alcohol. However, I do believe my drunkeness was sinful and this seems to be what the bible points to as well. I think the same thing could be said for medications when abused…

Chris
[/quote]

Yes…anything in excess is sinful. Food, alchohol, sex, drug abuse. That is the Catholic position. My protestant friend believes that alchohol is sinful, even a drop on the tongue. Period. and I was wondering how she squares that with her use of Valium.

Congratulations on your recovery brother. I have a family member that is an alchoholic and I know how tough the road is…G-d Bless!!

Hello

Well the Great Jesus Christ did drink wine, possible at the Marriage of Cana and at the last supper. Everything in moderation I say except of praying, pray as much as you can.

God Bless
Saint Andrew.

Well it certainly sounds like Jesus thinks drinking wine is ok per Paul’s first letter to the Corinthians:

" 25 In the same way also the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.%between%"

I love these Catholic responses…

I am looking for the protestant response. You see…I couldn’t come out and ask my protestant friend why the Valium she takes is O.K. while alchohol is evil and sinful…that would be rude, and she is my friend.

I don’t see the difference between the two really, and I am curious haow a protestant feels

[quote=Lillith]Hello all…

BUT…after she left I began thinking about this position, and what protestants think about medication. She, for instance, has a nerve disorder and is on valium. How is Valium O.K. and alchohol not? Before someone says one is prescribed, and the other is not, Lets think back to the day when there were no Prescriptions…just to make it interesting and fair. Besides…I knew a man who was “prescribed” to drink beer to straighten up a bladder infection.
[/quote]

[quote=Lillith]Yes…anything in excess is sinful. Food, alchohol, sex, drug abuse. That is the Catholic position. My protestant friend believes that alchohol is sinful, even a drop on the tongue. Period. and I was wondering how she squares that with her use of Valium.

[/quote]

How does she square it with her use of Wine Coolers??

[quote=Little Mary]How does she square it with her use of Wine Coolers??
[/quote]

Hi Little Mary!! I don’t know if she really deep down believes it is sinful or not, and she might not want to admit…

It made me feel really onery after she said my house was the only place she ever had wine, Kinda like I’m the bad person with a bad influence, leading her away from her belief and tempting her like a devil…but…I didn’t want to get into that conversation with her because I didn’t want to make her feel guilty in the least!

[quote=Lillith] . How is Valium O.K. and alchohol not? Before someone says one is prescribed, and the other is not, n.
[/quote]

valium and alcohol don’t mix, she should read the instructions that come with the valium or ask her doctor or pharmacists, remember the Cracker Factory?

Personally, although I would agree that there isn’t anything intriniscally wrong with alcohol, I really don’t think any real good can come from it either. I mean, look at the fruits. The bad: broken families, people killed by drunk drivers, people doing things they regret later. The good: ummm, it helps you socialize:confused: . If you’re not drinking it to get drunk, what’s the point? With all the negatives, why even bother?

You gotta remember too that back in Biblical times, they didn’t have refrigerators so everything fermented. So if you wanted something to drink besides dirty water, wine was all you had, and maybe some warm goat milk.

When I was a protestant this alcohol thing always bothered me. I didn’t see anything wrong with it in moderation. It always seemed irrational to me.

I don’t think that the comparison of alcoholic beverages with a prescription medicine is valid, because valium is a substance her doctor says she needs to be on. (In the case of the man who was told to drink beer by a doctor, that is comparable to the use of a prescription med. But those are not the same as social drinking).

What I see as weird, is that she sits there drinking wine coolers, while criticising even moderate alcohol use as sinful! That simply makes no sense at all!! It is, in fact, rather hypocritical of her, isn’t it?

What I am really concerned about has all ready been mentioned: alcohol & valium do not mix!! That one or two wine coolers, with her valium, is enough to get her into a bad enough condition that her judgment is impaired…I hope she was not driving! That would be very dangerous, especially if the nerve pill had been taken fairly recently!!

[quote=Lillith]Hello all…

I had a party the other night and one of my protestant friends came over, and she is devout in her religion, and I in mine, and normally we agree to disagree.

We always discuss though, and she mentioned, while drinking a wine cooler by the way, that alchohol is sinful in all ways…and that she never partakes unless she’s at my house (the only Catholic in town)…Of course we went through the whole thing…Jesus’ first miracle…references by Paul…Anything in excess is sinful…and her belief that the wine was unfermented. Historically that is incorrect, and that’s where it went from there. Decent discussion.

[/quote]

It is unfounded that it is unfermented. The gospel of John says that normally people serve the good stuff first and when everyone is drunk they bring out the not so good stuff.

The bible also says that God created everything and it was good. Alcohol was created by God, and it is good as long as it is not taken in excess. If we do not abuse it, it is not evil.

[quote=Genesis315]Personally, although I would agree that there isn’t anything intriniscally wrong with alcohol, I really don’t think any real good can come from it either. I mean, look at the fruits. The bad: broken families, people killed by drunk drivers, people doing things they regret later. The good: ummm, it helps you socialize.
[/quote]

So, nothing good comes from consuming alcohol? But then you list one good thing. Nothing does not equal one, last time I checked. Moderate drinking of certain types of alcohol also has beneficial health effects. That’s two good things. Wine is viewed as a blessing from God (Genesis 27:28). Wine gladdens our hearts (Psalm 104:15). All of a sudden were up to four good things.

Scripture condemns inordinate consumption of alcohol (Proverbs 20:1, for example), not the consumption of alcohol.

– Mark L. Chance.

Why is the “devout” protestant coming to your house, drinking alcohol (the wine cooler) and then blaming you? i.e.

and that she never partakes unless she’s at my house

That’s like the guy who picks up a gun at my house, shoots my neighbor and then blames me for having the gun in my house.

She’s really demonstrating a twisted logic here and being manipulative in the extreme. Call her on it.
If she’s so “devout”, resisting that which she considers sinful should be a cakewalk.

The “sinfulness” of Alcohol is a humorous statement - alcohol is not sin, the abuse of alcohol by us is. It is perfectly fine to drink an alcoholic beverage, but not to get drunk and not if it makes your brother stumble. Is it safer to not drink? Yes, I beleive so but to say it’s sinful is going down a legalistic road, which is dangeorus as well.

[quote=christopher754]As someone who considers himself an alcoholic in recovery I can say that I don’t believe that there is anything inherently wrong or sinful w/ alcohol. However, I do believe my drunkeness was sinful and this seems to be what the bible points to as well. I think the same thing could be said for medications when abused…

Chris
[/quote]

Chris - I’m thinkin’ you’ve hit the nail square on the head! I’m not sure anything else needs to be said! :thumbsup:

[quote=Lillith]Yes…anything in excess is sinful. Food, alchohol, sex, drug abuse. That is the Catholic position. My protestant friend believes that alchohol is sinful, even a drop on the tongue. Period. and I was wondering how she squares that with her use of Valium.

Congratulations on your recovery brother. I have a family member that is an alchoholic and I know how tough the road is…G-d Bless!!
[/quote]

What I’m wondering is how she squares it with imbibing at your house. So it’s sin at her house or her church, but OK at your house? Is there a scripture she uses to make that leap?

[quote=Zooey]What I see as weird, is that she sits there drinking wine coolers, while criticising even moderate alcohol use as sinful! That simply makes no sense at all!! It is, in fact, rather hypocritical of her, isn’t it?
[/quote]

Q: Why should you always take two Baptists with you when you go fishing?

A: 'Cause, if you take only one, he’ll drink up all your beer. :stuck_out_tongue:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.