"the smoke of satan has entered the sanctuary"

What did Pope Paul VI mean by that? Is it even real?

I don’t recall this quote: but I would guess that he meant evil people had infiltrated the Church, or maybe the Vatican, and that their influence was causing harm.

Heck, the “smoke of Satan” surely entered our sanctuary just now.

Sorry to derail your thread.

What was the story all about where the Kremiln planted agents in seminaries to over come the church from within and most never made it beyond priest but a few got to bishop and some even sat on the second vatican council.

Maybe it was that to which he referred.

Either way, St John Paul in life on earth with the power of God combated the evil of Communist Russian aethiesm, so it is now academic

Shortly after the close of Vatican II, Pope Paul VI was overwhelmed by the universal rejection of many of the Council’s teachings.

Pope Paul VI stunned the world with the words: “We have the impression that through some cracks in the wall the smoke of Satan has entered the temple of God: it is doubt, uncertainty, questioning, dissatisfaction, confrontation… We thought that after the Council a day of sunshine would have dawned for the history of the Church. What dawned, instead, was a day of clouds and storms, of darkness, of searching and uncertainties.” [Pope Paul VI, June 29, 1972, Homily during the Mass for Sts. Peter & Paul, on the occasion of the ninth anniversary of his coronation]

His teaching was met with abundant ridicule, mostly from the clergy.

Fr Gabriel Amorth said in an interview: * “I have no doubt whatever that the Devil is tempting the upper levels of the Church, above all, just as he tempts every upper level – political and industrial.” *

I am sure he was joking, cause offcourse there is all this unity!:cool:

Eileen T, your life.com/nz link isn’t taking me to the site.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.