The sons of Alpheus

So the Gospels list the sons of Alpheus (Cleophas, Clopas) as James the Less and his brother Jude (Judas) Thaddeus. But there is another “son of Alpheus” amongst the Apostles, Matthew, also called Levi. I cannot confirm if he is or is not brother to these other “sons of Alpheus”. Does anyone know? I am pretty sure that Mary, wife of Clopas, is the mother of James and Jude, and she is close relation to the Blessed Virgin Mary. Some sources assert that John Mark was her son, so does that mean he is yet another son of Alpheus? Please help me sort out these relations!:slight_smile:

There were twelve disciples/
Jesus called to help him/
Simon Peter, Andrew/
James, his brother John

Philip, Thomas, Matthew/
James the son of Alphaeus/
Thaddeus, Simon, Judas/
and Bartholomew

Then there’s a little chorus thing at the end. But that’s the song I learned to remember the disciples. Was Judas Iscariot the Jude/Judas you’re talking about, or was there another? Also, I haven’t heard this song since I was…oh…10 years old, so if I got any of the names wrong or mixed up, let me know. I’m actually really curious about all of these relations too, so I will be subscribing to this thread in hopes that people who know more about this theology than I do can answer.

There was Judas Iscariot, but there was also Jude Thaddeus (at least once, he is referred to as Judas not Iscariot).

There were at least two sons of Alpheus amongst the Apostles: James the Less and Jude Thaddeus.

So is the Apostle that I’ve always heard referred to as Thaddeus actually Jude Thaddeus?

Yes. Also St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital is named after Jude Thaddeus, the patron saint of the impossable. :slight_smile:

Ahhhhhhh!!! Thank you, that makes a lot of sense!

I knew that St. Jude was the patron saint of “lost causes” (that’s what I always heard it called, but I guess impossible means the same thing). I wondered who St. Jude was, and it’s cool to know that he’s the disciple Thaddeus.

Did St. Jude do something interesting or miraculous during his life to be made the patron saint of the impossible?

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.