The Sopranos

I consider myself very open-minded when it comes to the arts, more so than most Christians.

But I just don’t get the adulation about The Sopranos. Good heavens, the way the media is crying, you’d think that some beloved saint was dying.

This is a show about people who murder and commit other crimes. I think that’s awful. To me, this blurs the line between good and evil. I don’t care that they’re “just like us middle class people.” No, they’re not! I don’t shoot people as part of my job!

I also have a little problem with the Italian stereotype of “mobster” although I understand that the Italian American societies eventually decided that the show was OK. Is this true?

So what does everyone else think? Am I being an ignorant Philistine for criticizing this show?

I grew up in an Italian family…in Jersey. The show isn’t that far off looking back at family reunions, etc…lol:blush:
I like the show…but I’m not heartbroken that it’s going off the air. It’s time, I think.

I also have a problem with the violence aspect of the show. I don’t relate to these characters because they are ‘middle class’. In fact, I don’t relate to these characters!

However, I do find myself watching and thinking “Wow, look what happens when God is not at the center of your life, and when pride and greed are what motivates you”.

I have planned my whole day around making sure I am in fromt of my TV when the Sopranos starts.

:smiley: lol

The show isn’t really violence for violence sake. And the characters are pretty deep…troubled…riddled with childhood problems that lead to their current situations. The writing of this show was superb. I don’t think all Italians are this way of course…certainly not. But, in Jersey…many Italians…they can be hardened like the characters on Sopranos. I think the show is pretty intriguing. But…it’s time to call it quits. The characters are either dying off or getting too old to be convincing anymore as ‘good fellas.’

I love the Sopranos, it’s a great show. Like has been said, the writing is superb. And yes there is violence and nudity and ‘adult’ themes in the show, but not for gratuity’s sake. It is often used in juxtaposition to how the violence or sex or other sins affect innocent people. Last week when the two main characters got hit, they spent a lot of time showing how the innocents around the hit were affected. The show has always been like that, a very realistic depiction of violence or other adult themes, sins. It doesn’t glamorize those themes at all.

And the characters aren’t glamorized or depicted in a way that makes them look great or encourages adoration. Tony Soprano is a psychopath and a bastard. Not someone I’d want to be. And that goes for all of the other mob characters as well. The show depicts them as normal people in one aspect, yet they’re also killers, thieves, psychopaths, and general bad guys as well. I think the point is, anyone can be evil inside. Even if they look normal. And there’s not much of a line to cross to take an average person there.

I also liked the first couple seasons when Tony’s wife had a lot of personal conflict with what Tony does and the church. Carmella was a very complex character. Then there’s the family and others whose lives are touched by the mob and sin indirectly. Great, well thought out writing.

I watch it because it’s so compelling. I’ve examined the show a lot lately and why I watch, considering my values as a catholic christian, etc. I don’t find that it conflicts, and if anything just reinforces my beliefs and values.

yep…yep…yep…and yep. It’s really a riveting show…not sloppy…and not glamourizing violence. Frankly, you feel sorry in some odd way, for the characters involved with their dilemmas…even though they cause them.

After seeing the non-finale finale, all I can say is HBO really blew it with manipulation. Im cancelling tomorrow.

Well that was a wasted hour. Such a great series -such a nothing ending.

The problem is the Sopranos makes these people look like they’re deep characters, often caught in situations beyond their control, and even deserving of sympathy. The truth is gansters are now, and always have been, sociopaths and killers. They’re so driven by greed they’ll kill, steal, posion communities with drugs, force women into prostitution, and every other evil you could imagine. The deep need of Americans to idolize criminals is something I’ve never understood. The sad truth is there really are people like Tony Soprano, it’s a fact that should sicken us; not entertain.

Don’t blow the surprise for us fans on the left coast!

HBO uses it’s ability to be extremely graphic to sale it’s product.

It is often used in juxtaposition to how the violence or sex or other sins affect innocent people. Last week when the two main characters got hit, they spent a lot of time showing how the innocents around the hit were affected. The show has always been like that, a very realistic depiction of violence or other adult themes, sins. It doesn’t glamorize those themes at all.

At times it does deal with the consequences, such as the problems Tony’s mistresses experience. However, in the grand scheme of the show, is a minority message. It certainly does glamorize and make mafia like “look” exciting. More often then not the “consequence” aspect of the show is simply the end result of its overly graphic nature as opposed to intentional writing.

And the characters aren’t glamorized or depicted in a way that makes them look great or encourages adoration. Tony Soprano is a psychopath and a bastard. Not someone I’d want to be. And that goes for all of the other mob characters as well. The show depicts them as normal people in one aspect, yet they’re also killers, thieves, psychopaths, and general bad guys as well. I think the point is, anyone can be evil inside. Even if they look normal. And there’s not much of a line to cross to take an average person there.

As often as not, especially during sessions with the shrink, Tony is made to be sympathetic. The result of a bad father and mother combine with enviroment. At other times noble, such as having Dr. Melfi’s rapist hunted down. The message of the show isn’t that anyone can be evil, quite the opposite, it’s that no one is really evil.

I watch it because it’s so compelling. I’ve examined the show a lot lately and why I watch, considering my values as a catholic christian, etc. I don’t find that it conflicts, and if anything just reinforces my beliefs and values.

I examined the show and found I could not justify watching it.

They’re going to make a movie, you really think they’d pass up that payday by winding it up on TV?

I don’t know anyone who thought the program did anything but show the nature of psychopaths.

They’re going to make a movie, you really think they’d pass up that payday by winding it up on TV?

It wasn’t just a weak ending. As a “final” episode was a big zero. Nada. Many Soprano fans I know have been very disappointed for the past three seasons and hung on out of loyalty and hope that the spark would return. That loyalty was spit on tonight.I think they alienated a lot of fans.:mad:

Okay, let’s look at the Ralphie story line. Ralphie mistreats a stripper he’s also fornicating with. Slowly Tony becomes interested in the girl’s life and in the end is morally outraged because Ralphie killed her and beats the snot out of him. Finally killing him over attachment to a horse.
To an extent there is some truth to this, all humans (even the really bad ones) have some good sides. I would think of it theologically in terms of a perfect nature that is just exceptionally tarnished. The problem comes when you watch the show for years and start to develop a certain sympathic interest in these characters. The US has a long history of idolozing criminals, whether it was Jesse James dime store novels or the Godfather films. It’s not exactly a charming social trend.

It wasn’t just a weak ending. As a “final” episode was a big zero. Nada. Many Soprano fans I know have been very disappointed for the past three seasons and hung on out of loyalty and hope that the spark would return. That loyalty was spit on tonight.I think they alienated a lot of fans.:mad:

Most shows have a two/three year shelf life and then the writers are out of good ideas. Of course the networks want to run these shows until they as long as they are profitable. End result is many shows with really strong early seasons end on sour writing. Of course HBO is strongly interested in a box office release, a strong series finale wouldn’t have been conductive to that.

Would Jesus watch the Sopranos? Why would any catholic, who takes their faith seriously, watch that awful show? I don’t mean to be judgemental. We are to try to live righteous lives.
God bless,
Chap

And we also try not to trivialize our Lord and Savior by wondering if he would have watched a TV show.

Last night’s finale was a total disappointment. Wow…what in the world was that???:shrug: I am wondering if they wanted to leave the door open to the potential of resurrecting the show down the road…my husband also read that they might have a movie that brings everything to a conclusion.

At first, I thought something was wrong with our tv…the screen just went blank. lol:D

I don’t have HBO so I’m not a Sopranos fan – I just catch the reruns on A&E sometimes.
But I did see a site that posted the last five minutes. Isn’t it obvious that the guy who went into the men’s room is going to kill Tony? Do you really need to see his brains spattered all over Carmela?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.