The Soul of Jesus

In prayer we say

The Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus.

In John 12:27

Jesus says ’ Now my Soul is greatly troubled , and what shall I say? ’

During His Passion

So this got me thinking about the Soul of Jesus.

Is His Soul like ours? But I don’t know how to think about the Soul of Jesus.

What do you guys think about when you think of the Soul of Jesus?

This, I believe belongs in the Liturgy and Sacraments forum.

His soul was a human soul, fitted to his body, in the same way as ours.

ICXC NIKA

+1

A human being is body and soul, and Jesus was fully human, body and soul united with the Divine.

Is, Jesus is the Son of man and the Son of God.

Jesus can’t be a was. Given Jesus is resurrected and in Heaven.

I, on the other hand will be a was until resurrection on judgement day, except for my soul.

So

How does the Soul of Jesus , as the Son of man and the Son of God, part of The Trinity, work?

Are we in communion with the Soul of Jesus, and in some way joined, at the foot of the cross, perhaps, as we become more holy on our earthly pilgrimage, given Jesus is the Head of the Church, and the Communion of Saints is the Body.

What do you all think of this or any other ideas.

To be in communion with the Soul of Jesus is to be in communion with God. So I would presume that the closer we get to that ideal, the more we are connected with Jesus’ Soul.

Jesus gave us the Eucharist so we could be connected to his Body also. He wanted to be as connected with us as He could get.

I started searching the Catechism.

Catechism says Jesus tasted death , as was His Father’s Will. So Jesus Soul did seperate from His Body in the tomb, prior to Resurrection. And Jesus was restored Body and Soul at Resurrection.

It’s pretty heavy going reading, but I will put the link here for the first one I found.

vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p122a4p3.htm

Paragraph 3. Jesus Christ was Buried

624 “By the grace of God” Jesus tasted death “for every one”.459 In his plan of salvation, God ordained that his Son should not only "die for our sins"460 but should also “taste death”, experience the condition of death, the separation of his soul from his body, between the time he expired on the cross and the time he was raised from the dead. The state of the dead Christ is the mystery of the tomb and the descent into hell. It is the mystery of Holy Saturday, when Christ, lying in the tomb,461 reveals God’s great sabbath rest462 after the fulfillment463 of man’s salvation, which brings peace to the whole universe.464

Christ in the tomb in his body

625 Christ’s stay in the tomb constitutes the real link between his passible state before Easter and his glorious and risen state today. The same person of the “Living One” can say, “I died, and behold I am alive for evermore”:465

God [the Son] did not impede death from separating his soul from his body according to the necessary order of nature, but has reunited them to one another in the Resurrection, so that he himself might be, in his person, the meeting point for death and life, by arresting in himself the decomposition of nature produced by death and so becoming the source of reunion for the separated parts.466
626 Since the “Author of life” who was killed467 is the same “living one [who has] risen”,468 the divine person of the Son of God necessarily continued to possess his human soul and body, separated from each other by death:

By the fact that at Christ’s death his soul was separated from his flesh, his one person is not itself divided into two persons; for the human body and soul of Christ have existed in the same way from the beginning of his earthly existence, in the divine person of the Word; and in death, although separated from each other, both remained with one and the same person of the Word.469

Does then, Jesus retain a human Soul, or has it been glorified and is now all divine?

What do you guys think?

Jesus retains his human soul. Both body and soul are glorified, but they’re still human.

Studying the heresy of Apollinarism might be helpful:

newadvent.org/cathen/01615b.htm

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollinarism

Thanks Wesrock, PluniaZ

PluniaZ that’s a bit heavy going but As I understand that heresy, that person didn’t really believe Jesus to be the Son of Man, given that person didn’t think Jesus had a human mind.

But the Bible teaches us that Jesus grew in wisdom and stature.
So Jesus had a human mind that grew as He grew, and with education, I imagine. Jewish temple education, reading writing, life skills, carpentery etc.

I don’t think there are any levels of Soul , such as that guy thought - a lower Soul for example. Or the Soul is the place of emotions. Is that a common belief?

I think most folks assign emotional function to the soul, although external “emoting” is done by the body; or at least via the body.

The classical Egyptians (and Biblicals) believed that emotion resided in the heart, and we still talk that way.

Many of us haven’t thought about levels in the soul. But the Jewish faith teaches that there are five (physical life = nephesh; emotional life = ruach; human mind = neshamah, and two more that don’t fit into our human bodies).

The levels make sense, in that our soul has functions, such as providing life and providing the mind, that run in parallel.

ICXC NIKA

Apollinaris taught that Jesus was not fully human. He believed Jesus was lacking the “highest part of the soul”, by which he meant the human intellect and will.

Apollinaris gave rise to the Nestorian and monophysite heresies of the 5th century that produced the first schism in the church - with the Nestorian Church of the East and the miaphysite Oriental Orthodox. I recommend reading the texts of the church councils from this era to better understand the Hypostatic Union:

newadvent.org/fathers/

Regarding levels of the soul, I think in the early church it was common to refer to higher and lower parts of the soul, with some even referring to the “spirit” as the highest part of the human soul, but today the standard Catholic approach seems to simply refer to just the soul.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.