The Southern Poverty Law Center is a ‘scam’

Two related stories.

Top one opinion.

Bottom story news that the opinion grew out of.

I posted both links for those interested (and several links related to the articles.)

A LOT going on with the SPLC recently.

Sunday, March 24, 2019

The Southern Poverty Law Center is a ‘scam’

by Becket Adams

| March 22, 2019 06:19 PM Washington Examiner

The Southern Poverty Law Center’s problems go well beyond the fact it’s a vicious, left-wing attack dog with no care whatsoever for the reputational and personal harm it causes by lumping Christians and anti-extremist activists with actual neo-Nazis.

As it turns out, the SPLC is a cynical money-making scheme, according to a former staffer’s blistering tell-all, published this week in the New Yorker. The center’s chief goal is to bilk naive and wealthy donors who believe it’s an earnest effort to combat bigotry. . . .

. . . “Outside of work,” author Bob Moser recalls of his days working for the supposed anti-hate group, “we spent a lot of time drinking and dishing in Montgomery bars and restaurants about … the hyperbolic fund-raising appeals, and the fact that, though the center claimed to be effective in fighting extremism, ‘hate’ always continued to be on the rise, more dangerous than ever, with each year’s report on hate groups. ‘The S.P.L.C.—making hate pay,’ we’d say.”

“[I]t was hard, for many of us, not to feel like we’d become pawns in what was, in many respects, a highly profitable scam,” he adds.

The way Moser tells it, the center’s chief founder, Morris Dees, who was dismissed unceremoniously last week for unspecified reasons, discovered early on that he could rake in boatloads of cash by convincing “gullible Northern liberals” that his group is doing the hard work of fighting “hate.” . . .

. . . But the sleaziest thing of all, out of everything Moser details, is the allegation that his former employer’s . . .

News Desk

The Reckoning of Morris Dees and the Southern Poverty Law Center

By Bob Moser

March 21, 2019

. . . The staffers wrote that Dees’s firing was welcome but insufficient: their larger concern, they emphasized, was a widespread pattern of racial and gender discrimination by the center’s current leadership, stretching back many years. . . .

Wow, pretty impressive that Moser can include direct quotes from 15 years ago from memory…

2 Likes

So, if this has been going on for decades, why exactly is it all coming to light now and Morris Dees being thrown under the bus at this particular moment in time?

Who’s benefiting? Who’s doing the power grab? Did donations drop? MeToo lawsuit? Still waiting for somebody to write something actually informative on the subject.

3 Likes

Perhaps because “decades ago” all there was, was a couple of people speaking on the “soap box” in public parks…the web has become the soap box and now we are subject to the opinions of everyone with computer access.

Technology brings with it, the good and the bad!

But, just as we could ignore the guy on the soap box in the park, we can just as easily ignore the guy on the soap box of the net.

I could ignore him, but Dees just got fired by the organization he started. Aside from the fact that at age 82 he was probably not doing much work except schmoozing donors, I would like to know why they felt a need to do such a big public firing. In other words, did he do something bad.

Whenever one organization calls another organization a scam, I have to wonder which one is the real scammer.

4 Likes

Well, I worked a case some years ago with Stephen Bright (president of the Southern Center for Human Rights). I was involved with Mr. Bright for some months and he was never anything but straight-up legit. He is one of the people who has called Dees a “con man and a fraud” so I tend to believe his view, since I knew him. However, Bright’s letter stating that was written way back in 2007, and has been repeatedly quoted by various media outlets over the years since then (like this article from 2013).

Meanwhile, Dees has been continuing for 12 years and the media has happily continued to publish the SPLC lists of hate groups which have gotten progressively weirder and weirder, including all kinds of suspect entries.

1 Like

Saying that Dees (who has been fired) is a fraud is a lot different than saying the whole SPLC is a scam, which was the headline.

2 Likes

Good point…

However, I think the whole place may at this point be so identified with Dees that they might do well to just dissolve it and somebody start a new one, rather than trying to re-brand.
This barrage of negative press is going to hurt any re-branding effort.

If such a barrage of negative press does materialize, they may indeed have to do that. We will have to wait and see.

These are regular news articles calling it a ‘scam’ not ‘another organization’.

Stop deflecting and comment upon the argument and evidence in the article.

1 Like

The only entity using the term “Scam” is the Washington Examiner. It is another organization, no more reputable than the organization they are reporting on. Plus is was an opinion piece.

Tis_Bearself . . .

However, I think the whole place may at this point be so identified with Dees . . .

Great point. That is exactly what the employees have said.

:joy: ROFL :joy:

Both the New Yorker and the Examiner quote the source as calling it as scam.

You are deflecting from the content of both articles because you don’t like one of their headlines?

2 Likes

OK, so it is not the W.E. or the New Yorker, but only “the source”? Well then my comment goes double. When one source calls an organization a scam, then I have to wonder which one is the scammer.

LeafByNiggle . . .

OK, so it is not the W.E. or the New Yorker, but only “the source”? Well then my comment goes double. When one source calls an organization a scam, then I have to wonder which one is the scammer.

Go ahead and think that LeafByNiggle.

But the SPLC has been falling apart at the proverbial seams.

Everyone has seen it over the last couple of weeks.

And your big contribution here is going to be source skepticism.

And all that I am saying here is, go ahead and think that way.

As for me?

I will take the evidence into consideration and unless I have a pretty good reason not to, affirm the source. At least for now.

1 Like

Please stop deflecting.
The New Yorker carried the exact same quotes calling SPLC a scam.

1 Like

My mistake. The same “source” both magazines quoted said the SPLC is a scam.

LeafByNiggle . . .

The same “source” both magazines quoted said the SPLC is a scam.

How do you know this Leaf?
Especially since the SPLC employees themselves are raising such charges,
firing their founder (Morris Dees),
forcing out their senior staff (Richard Cohen),
and in just plain disarray.

. . . “Outside of work,” author Bob Moser recalls of his days working for the supposed anti-hate group, “we spent a lot of time drinking and dishing in Montgomery bars and restaurants about … the hyperbolic fund-raising appeals, and the fact that, though the center claimed to be effective in fighting extremism, ‘hate’ always continued to be on the rise, more dangerous than ever, with each year’s report on hate groups. ‘The S.P.L.C.—making hate pay,’ we’d say.”

“[I]t was hard, for many of us, not to feel like we’d become pawns in what was, in many respects, a highly profitable scam,” he adds.

The way Moser tells it, the center’s chief founder, Morris Dees, who was dismissed unceremoniously last week for unspecified reasons,
discovered early on that
he could rake in boatloads of cash by convincing “gullible Northern liberals”
that his group is doing the hard work of fighting “hate.” . . .

How do you know such things?

The specific charge the the “SPLC is a scam” was only made by one person that I know of. I never said Dees was a good guy, or that many people were not upset with him.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.