The Spirit of the Lord is upon me

The Gospel on the Thursday after the Epiphany was Luke 4:14-22 where Jesus return to Nazareth after His time in the desert.
How does this verse, “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me”, indicate that Jesus is telling His family and friends that He is the Messiah?

And it this Isaiah 61 or another verse in Isaiah?

Thanks.

The Messiah is the anointed one (Greek Christos).

Isaiah 61:1-2

The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me,
because the Lord has anointed me
to bring good tidings to the afflicted;
he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim liberty to the captives,
and the opening of the prison
to those who are bound;

Then He rolled up the scroll, returned it to the attendant, and sat down. The eyes of everyone in the synagogue were fixed on Him, 21 and He began by saying, “Today this Scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.”

What an incredible moment!

1 Like

There were no others that were anointed by the Lord? I don’t see the Messiah connection here.

Yes, it must have been but the people who knew Him couldn’t believe He was the Messiah.

Read the passage in its context. It begins in Isaiah 59 – Isaiah is proclaiming a prophecy (an “oracle of the Lord”) that announces the coming of the redeemer.

1 Like

Thank you. Now it makes sense.

1 Like

Anointing was used for a priest or a prophet or a king.
The Messiah was all three. The Jews knew the verses which referred to the Messiah.

Thank you, Kim.T

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.