The Spiritual Dangers of Metal Music

Father Esper mentions an Italian psychiatrist named Dr. Simone Morabito who equates “Satanic rock music” to a slow-acting, highly effective poison. And Dr. Morabito goes on to say that according to the psychiatrists’ medical journal, in recent years there have been 5,000 young people in the United States who have committed suicide. Dr. Morabito is convinced that one of the main causes of these suicides is “satanic rock music that promotes the taking of one’s life.”

Besides the self-destructive lyrics found in certain songs, there is another kind of danger attached to heavy metal music which involves the extreme volume (110 decibels or more) of the music, combined with stroboscopic lights and the used of drugs or alcohol which can, because of the excessive stimulation of the mix, cause irreversible brain damage. And in addition to that, the increase of adrenaline in the bloodstream can cause the music to be physically addictive. And according to one researcher, music that is “consecrated” to the devil has a powerful rhythm that not only mimics the sexual act, but is also 7 decibels higher than our nervous systems can tolerate. This music brings forth a kind of “depression, rebellion and aggressiveness” and uses subliminal signals that are transmitted at too high of a pitch for human hearing to pick up on, yet capable of being picked up by the subconscious mind.

Examples of Satanic Influence in Music

A certain music group named Hell on Earth (which I will not link to due to the content I read on its Wikipedia page) had planned to feature an on-stage suicide of one of its fans, but due to the intervention of authorities was fortunately stopped. The group also promoted the vile and unthinkable act of grinding up live rats and giving the concoction to its fans. King Diamond of the Satanist band Mercyful Fate used a microphone stand made of the leg bones of a human, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers thanked Satan for their success at the MTV awards.

A former rock musician named Eric Barger has this to say about rock music:

Listening to rock music never sent anyone to Hell.  No, it simply teaches people how to get there, destroys God’s desire for one’s life, produces idolatry and conditions those who listen with satanic ideals.  Certainly, not every song on rock and country radio is evil. . . . It’s every third, fifth, eighth, fifteenth or twentieth song that teaches the adversary’s goals explicitly.  Many of the other songs may not be as blatant, but they still fall far short of the standard which God is pleased with.  And that’s really the key isn’t it?  Who and what are we identifying with?  What are we advocating?

How Parents Can Protect Their Children Against Spiritual Threats

Father Esper concludes this section of his book with some insights and advice as to how parents can take measures to protect their children from the spiritual threats that continually plague the youth. He says the following:

Having lost his own original spiritual purity and beauty, Satan hates innocence, and he takes a special delight in ensnaring and destroying the souls of young people.  His weapons are many, varied, and exceedingly dangerous – and, in today’s increasingly post-Christian society, more effective than ever.  Parents concerned over the spiritual well-being of their children may often feel overwhelmed, but the Lord expects them, rather than giving up in despair or merely hoping for the best, to take a proactive stance, using the spiritual weapons He has provided.

Living out the grace of one’s baptism (and teaching children to do the same), active involvement in a parish, carefully arranging for the religious education of one’s children, family prayer, shared reading of Scripture and other spiritual books, discussion on moral issues, encouraging involvement in parish and community activities for young people, fellowship with other families sharing similar values and worldviews, giving an example of moral integrity and commitment, and maintaining an attitude of acceptance and as openness to dialogue, are all ways of forming godly children and young people, and equipping them for spiritual combat.  Fulfilling such parental duties has become perhaps more important than ever before in history, and God’s blessings and peace wills surely be given to those mothers and fathers who attempt to do so in a spirit of prayerful humility and trust.

Apart from the very real danger of inducing deafness if listened to at full volume for a prolonged period of time, I don’t know if any of this about metal music is so potentially serious as it is reported to be. I remember some people said similar things about early rock-and-roll music such as that of Elvis Presley and would go on television and smash his recordings. And look how well that generation turned out! (OK, I take back that last statement.)

lol :smiley:

Satanic music? Really? Check this guy out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cesare_Bonizzi

I listen to metal, and I agree that volume can be a problem. However, I tend to limit myself to Christian metal and go nowhere near metal that is Satanic or has a bad message. Do you think the spiritual problem would still apply to me, or was it just to those who listened to metal the professed the wrong message?

I listen to christian hard rock, christian “Nu” Metal (basically rock), and Christian Metal-Core (metal with more singing than screaming) and i make sure that the lyrics of the bands doesn’t contradict my faith. So i do big work before i actually listen to them.

check out these bands:

RED (which is the band that changed my life forever, i also think their drummer is Catholic and influences most of the lyrics.)

Wolves at the Gate

War of Ages

For Today

Before Their Eyes

For more than half my life I listened to satanic music. Not all of it was explicitly satanic but it was all vile, promoting violence and sex. Thinking back I can remember feeling a darkness in my heart when I listened to it. A lot of what the study found is true, I can attest to that. The concerts were cesspools of violence, alcohol, drugs and lust. I have been inside the darkness, overcome with a burning hatred for Christ and all his followers. May God have mercy on my soul and the souls of all those still trapped in the lie of the deceiver.

Wow! I had never heard of that guy!!! Must hear his music now!!!

Ack, I didn’t realize it was all in Italian and I don’t speak Italian. But one thing I can say for sure is that Brother Bonizzi sure knows how to rock!!!

Most Rock and Metal music by description is loud,aggressive and rebellious.Rebellion and anger is against the nature of the Holy Spirit.You wouldn’t hear this type of music in Heaven,even if it is Christian metal,since it is not pleasing to God,even though the music carries the right message but is still loud,aggressive and rebellious.Because in Heaven,God takes delight in the chorus of Angels,the Heavenly voices of the Cherubim and Seraphim of Angels,and all the Hosts of Heaven.

Most Rock and Metal music by description is loud,aggressive and rebellious.Rebellion and anger is against the nature of the Holy Spirit.You wouldn’t hear this type of music in Heaven,even if it is Christian metal or Christian rock,since it is not pleasing to God,even though the music carries the right message but is still loud,aggressive and rebellious.Because in Heaven,God takes delight in the chorus of Angels,the Heavenly voices of the Cherubim and Seraphim of Angels,and all the Hosts of Heaven.

I see several flaws with this post…subliminal sounds that you can’t hear? Did the artists intentionally put these sounds in? Are the artists themselves satanic or just the music? I’ve listened to metal-core, rock, screamo, probably metal, and rarely do I see satanic messages. Often, I find the messages quite relatable, though I find the symptoms you describe uncannily similar to my own. Depressed, dark, sometimes hopeless. I still go to Church, in fact I’m going in a couple hours. Does this make me a sinner for the music I listen to? I just like the environment, the music, and a lot of the people. I don’t worship satan.

The screams of the music isn’t really rebellious. Most songs are about what people go through in spiritual fight. Take for instance “Fight Inside” by RED. The song is rock and is about the fight inside of us between good and evil. There is a line that goes back and forth saying “It’s nothing. It’s everything. etc.” with the first being satan and the last being God. Besides, RED also balances out their sound with some hard songs and some soft lighter piano songs. So i find their music more balancing.

So, not all the songs are rebellious, they help us relate more to real life IMO.

Besides, i balance it out by listening to the Cistercian Monks Chant, Matt Maher, and other songs. And i also know when its good to listen to the hard music and when its not. I also pray and make sure that the music isn’t affecting my spiritual life. There have been a few moments where i did over listen to it and silence inside my head was hard to find. So, lesson learned :slight_smile:

Continue to pray if you do listen to this music.

I guess Jesus was acting against Himself when He rebelled against the religious authorities of the Jews, rampaged among money changers, and cursed a fig tree to never bear fruit.

That’s cute but it gets boring after a while. If that’s what heaven is like, I think I’d rather ask St. Mike for a job keeping the punks of hell in line. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ahh… to slaughter demons to this tune. >B)

P.S.

You want high volume and noise pollution? Play this piece of classical music at that volume.

Play it to wake me up at 3 in the morning and it’ll be playing to the sound of me chasing with you a broom.

Play it to wake me up at a Saturday morning and you’ll get this. Don’t ask what I’ll be chasing you with. :mad:

I doesn’t make you a sinner,but just quit listening to metal or rock,today’s mainstream and underground music is mostly evil,and leads to all types of sins.You don’t hear depressive and anger moods in Church Hymns do you?Praise and Worship rather than being depressive is what music should be,and compose it in a meaningful manner without having to rebel,or to show anger,to get aggressive,or depressed.Christ came to redeem and save us,not to sadden or judge us.

Depressive and angry moods? You think those aren’t experienced by people who undergo intense meditation in places like this.

The Church isn’t all about campy, happy-pappy choir songs either.

I will not. I suggest you start listening to it!

today’s mainstream and underground music is mostly evil,and leads to all types of sins.You don’t hear depressive and anger moods in Church Hymns do you?Praise and Worship rather than being depressive is what music should be,and compose it in a meaningful manner without having to rebel,or to show anger,to get aggressive,or depressed.Christ came to redeem and save us,not to sadden or judge us.

I seriously do not understand what you’re saying. Sorry.

Kinda funny, because some of these people are the same people that whine about any music that shows the slightest hint of joy as well, as you say. But if it can’t be upbeat, can’t be aggressive, passionate, etc, what should it be?

Maybe they think music should be emotionless? All elevator stuff?

Oh no, not this again! :stuck_out_tongue:

I would be surprised not to hear this in heaven. :smiley:

In all seriousness, though, comparing our music on earth to that which will be heard in heaven is not really a fair comparison. I like Peter Kreeft’s comment that the greatest art, music, and literature that man has ever produced would be comparable to a kid’s stick figure drawing posted on the fridge. We may go back to it and enjoy it for sentimental reasons as a parent will hold on to the artistic efforts of their pre-schooler. But it will pale in comparison to the beauty that heaven has to offer.

These arguments are always the same. They take the most extreme examples of metal music and they proceed to argue as if all (or even most)) metal music is that way. Sorry, I’ve been listening to it for the past 25 years. I know that’s not true. Sure, if we believe some obscure Norwegian black metal band is represeentative of the whole, of course it looks like we should distance ourselves from all of it. But that’s not accurate nor is it an honest way to argue about the spiritual pitfalls of a musical genre.

What’s wrong with screaming your praises to Heaven? It is a musical outreach to people who may not have God. Besides, I can’t follow the argument that metal is aggressive or rebellious. Aggressive is a rather subjective term, and what you may see as aggressive, others may not. Many Christian artists try to make the point that they aren’t attempting to shove their beliefs on others. As far as rebellious, I guess it depends on who you listen to. It also depends on what it is being rebellious to. I’d say my music is rebellious to the culture we live in and all the bad influences that are going around. I can’t agree that not being traditional is being rebellious if that is what you are attempting to say. Now, I’m sure some metal falls under what you describe, but as I said, I make a conscious effort to avoid it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.