The Spiritual Exercises of Saint Ignatius of Loyola

After reading that the Holy Father is a Jesuit, I decided to read a little of Saint Ignatius. I am reading: The Spiritual Exercises of Saint Ignatius : amazon.com/Spiritual-Exercises-Saint-Ignatius-Loyola/dp/0385024363/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380999270&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=the+spiritual+exercises+of+st.+ingatius%2C+motola

I am particularly impacted by the selection quoted below as I know that talk too much. I am going to contemplate on this and try to adapt it to my life. It definitely means work. However, already I appreciate the reasoning he puts forth, that being that when we speak it should be for the good of souls. I like that as then when you do no matter for how long it would never be a waste of time. He writes that we can speak of (I paraphrase) politics and finance and or worldly concerns as long as it is for the good. In other words, not just to talk to talk.

Ummm, I wonder of he enjoyed a couple of jokes or good stories? :smiley:

“Idle words should not be spoken. By idle words I mean words which will serve no good purpose, and do not profit me nor anyone else, nor are they intended to do so. Words spoken for a useful purpose and words intended for the good of one’s soul or that of another or for the good of the body or for one’s temporal welfare are never idle words. Neither are words idle because one speaks of matters which are foreign to his state, for example, if a religious speaks of wars or of commerce. In all that has been mentioned there is merit if the words are directed to a good end, and it is sinful if they are directed to a bad end and spoken, idly.”

I like that, I want to speak less and when I do at least strive and be conscious of what Saint Ignatius wrote.

Do you know what other saints have said about speaking and silence? What do you think of the exercises? Has anyone here done them?

Peace

I know two people personally who made the thirty-day Ignation retreat at a spiritual center. Those same two people gave an 8-month version of it, to a group of about 6 people who met once a week. This was offered through my parish.
There was about 12 at the first meeting, and after a few weeks some felt that it wasn’t for them.
After about 3 weeks we were 6 people.

We were given the prayer/meditation assignment for the upcoming week, and were told to take an hour to do it. We also kept a spiritual journal by writing a paragraph or two sharing how the Lord spoke to you in the prayer time. We shared the contents of the journal with the group, if we were led to.

I found it very helpful, as it showed how important and life-changing a committed time of prayer is.

Someone should tell my wife!

Hey,don’t you know,women use 20,000words per day to a man’s 2,000?:wink:

That’s because most of the time we are talking to men!

Sorry! :smiley: http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/stock/smiley-scared0012.gif

:rotfl:

Abba, If you want to know more about Ignatian Spirituality, I would recommend reading the autobiography of St. Ignatius. Also, there’s a couple others books by Fr. James Martin, SJ that I would also recommend: The Jesuit Guide to Almost Everything: A Spirituality for Real Life and Between Heaven and Mirth: Why Joy, Humor, and Laughter Are at the Heart of the Spiritual Life. :slight_smile:

The question within is " What for?"

Only that I just prefer to say it out loud…:smiley:

To learn, of course. :slight_smile: Part of what I do is learn about my faith and this helps me to grow spiritually and otherwise.

I just signed up for this course :smiley:
Free Five-Part Course in Benedictine Spiriuality
procopius.webs.com/

I try to educate myself and, let me tell you there is a lot to learn. :nerd: I still have not gotten thru the CCC. Mama mia! There is a lot but it is wonderful! Our faith is very rich and we are blessed to have it. I see my learning as practicing my faith.

I would choose from the different spiritualities and apply what would help me in my life in the world.

Thank you for the information. I will look into those books. :thumbsup:

You should check out this website too Ignatian Spirituality.

Lot of great resources! :smiley:

Thank you all!
I love to learn and I love and appreciate sense of humor so much…
I’ ll get into the links you are sending:)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.