The Spouse of Mary

This morning at my church I saw a flyer advertising a lecture by Sister Nadine Brown on Mary. Says she has been on EWTN.

One of the points to be discussed is the Holy Spirit as the spouse of Mary. This is the first time I’ve heard of this. I understand that they both had a role to play in the conception of Jesus, but is that all that is being referred to?

Mary has been termed many things, one of them “espoused to the Spirit” or “espoused to the Holy Spirit”. This term is in no way a “new term” or anything strange or foreign or cause for alarm. The Marian doctrines of the Church can be some of the most complex to explain as well as defend. It doesn’t sound to me like anything eschew here; if youre interested I would say attend. Maybe you’ll pick up something you can articulate to the rest of us. I know I myself get lost in the articulation of the Marian doctrines. I accept them, and love to hear them explained, and they make sense to me, but I am terrible at relaying it to others, as beautiful as I see them to be.

[quote=joshua_b]Mary has been termed many things, one of them “espoused to the Spirit” or “espoused to the Holy Spirit”. This term is in no way a “new term” or anything strange or foreign or cause for alarm. The Marian doctrines of the Church can be some of the most complex to explain as well as defend. It doesn’t sound to me like anything eschew here; if youre interested I would say attend. Maybe you’ll pick up something you can articulate to the rest of us. I know I myself get lost in the articulation of the Marian doctrines. I accept them, and love to hear them explained, and they make sense to me, but I am terrible at relaying it to others, as beautiful as I see them to be.
[/quote]

For those of us not near wear this is going to be held, do you know of anything we could read to understand this doctrine (?)? Thanks and God bless.

[quote=Montie Claunch]For those of us not near wear this is going to be held, do you know of anything we could read to understand this doctrine (?)? Thanks and God bless.
[/quote]

Try this article: MARY, THE BRIDE OF GOD, PART 2: CHURCH TEACHING. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.