The stories Americans tell about 9/11 leave out discrimination against Muslims

Most of the undergraduates in my courses on Asian- and South Asian American communities, were in kindergarten when the attacks of 11 September 2001 occurred, so they have lived in the reality of post-9/11 America for most of their lives.

But their ability to critically analyze our government’s policies and practices in the post-9/11 environment is limited, because the narrative about the day and its aftermath – lives lost; War on Terror triggered – excludes the stories of South Asian, Arab, Muslim and Sikh communities in America and their ongoing experiences with hate violence, discrimination, government surveillance and profiling.

While the level of anti-Muslim sentiment increased precipitously in the months after 9/11, it has not subsided in the 14 years since then. The environment created by discriminatory government policies, xenophobic rhetoric and biased media representations remains a reality that many members of these communities contend with daily.

theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/sep/11/the-stories-americans-tell-about-911-leave-out-discrimination-against-muslims

…is one truly to be baffled as to why…?

Isn’t that the way? If Catholics are causing disturbances WE get looked at suspiciously…especially in the MEDIA… I’m referring to “pedophile priests…”

What the heck are you talking about? The article is not about Catholics or pedophile priests.

He just says, there is no surprise Muslims have been looked upon with suspicion. The Catholics are also looked upon with suspicion even for much weaker reasons.

Well, it is Muslims that are bombing and killing all over the world, so it is understandable that they are met with suspicion and surveillance. If it is a matter of security, I think it is necessary.

Further, it is suspected that if they were foremost in policing themselves few other protective measures might be deemed necessary…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.