The Story of St. Kateri Tekakwitha, American Indian Saint, "the Lily of the Mohawks," Whose Feast Day in the United States Is This Friday, July 14

see marypages.com/KateriTekakwitha.htm

In the United States her feast day is July 14; in Canada her feast day is April 17.

She was an Indian girl, living in an Indian village in what today is New York. “Those who had charge of her hated the Christian missionaries and Kateri was persecuted because she refused to give up her Christian way of life. ‘I want to be a Christian, even though I should die for it,’ she said. Her foster parents deprived her of all food on Sunday because she would not work in the fields on that day. Beatings, continual criticism, sarcasm and mockery were her constant lot. They tried to force marriage on her but she was inspired to remain a virgin and after she became a Christian she took a vow of virginity.”

“In time, Kateri made her way to a community of Christians in Canada. There she led a life of intense Christian virtue until her death in 1680 at the age of 24. Her renown for heroic sanctity soon spread and many miracles have been worked through her intercession.” (Society for Tradition, Family, and Property)

St. Kateri Tekakwitha, pray for us!

Thank you for using the correct term, I hate “Native” American (native means to be born in, just ask the nativist movement, though the link unfortunately uses it), though if I had to use a politically correct term, I’d use First Nation. I think, if I am every blessed with children, I should name one of them “Kateri”. It’s a pretty name.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.