The story of the mother of a fallen away Catholic and with a pagan husband--Saint Monica

see www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/st.-monica-mother-of-st.-augustine-commemorated-august-27/

[quote="mdgspencer, post:1, topic:254134"]
see www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/st.-monica-mother-of-st.-augustine-commemorated-august-27/

[/quote]

One the most amazing stories of the Church.
My Father left me THE slogan for my entire life, taken from the Confessions of St. Augustin: "You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our hearts are restless until they rest in you.". I do not like the English Translation for I thought the translation of the first part would be. "Our hearts were made by You ..." I cannot find the Latin quote to see which translation is better and i have no time to read the Confessions in Latin to find the spot.

But whatever, it says all. It is of such a deep meaning that I find no words to explain it. It is a slogan I live my life by.

[quote="Pfaffenhoffen, post:2, topic:254134"]
One the most amazing stories of the Church.
My Father left me THE slogan for my entire life, taken from the Confessions of St. Augustin: "You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our hearts are restless until they rest in you.". I do not like the English Translation for I thought the translation of the first part would be. "Our hearts were made by You ..." I cannot find the Latin quote to see which translation is better and i have no time to read the Confessions in Latin to find the spot.

But whatever, it says all. It is of such a deep meaning that I find no words to explain it. It is a slogan I live my life by.

[/quote]

You are right, it does say it all and I so love to ponder over those words. His prayer,

“Late have I loved you,
O Beauty so ancient and so new,
Late have I loved you…."

is another of my favourites.

[quote="odhiambo, post:3, topic:254134"]
You are right, it does say it all and I so love to ponder over those words. His prayer,
is another of my favourites.

[/quote]

That is not for me. I am a craddle catholic.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.