The superbug that doctors have been dreading just reached the U.S

washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2016/05/26/the-superbug-that-doctors-have-been-dreading-just-reached-the-u-s/

**For the first time, researchers have found a person in the United States carrying bacteria resistant to antibiotics of last resort, an alarming development that the top U.S. public health official says could mean “the end of the road” for antibiotics.

The antibiotic-resistant strain was found last month in the urine of a 49-year-old Pennsylvania woman. Defense Department researchers determined that she carried a strain of E. coli resistant to the antibiotic colistin, according to a study published Thursday in Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, a publication of the American Society for Microbiology. The authors wrote that the discovery “heralds the emergence of a truly pan-drug resistant bacteria.”**

This article continues at the link.

It’s not bombs but bugs that may cause the demise of our planet. Are microbiologists currently working on more effective antibiotics to combat the new superbug strain?

No, if you believe they are the ones that have been working on creating the ‘superbug’ :smiley:

Get ready for another round of bird flu. Not.

I don’t know. :shrug: I would assume (and hope) so. There’s just been such a long string of these overhyped pandemic-type stories that I really don’t know what to believe. At some point, humanity is going to have to pay the piper for our unrestricted overuse of antibiotics.

I question antibiotic use as a whole. Its like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. There are good bacteria too that can be used to kill the bad. Antibiotics kill the good too… and maybe that is the problem. We’ve killed off nearly all the good, or weakened them to the point we can’t strengthen our bodies to fight the bad when reaching for antibiotics to solve the problem. Let the good bacteria flourish, then maybe people won’t be so sick.

God’s design is best.

I didn’t take the time to read if this superbug is a virus or a bacteria. If its a virus, antibiotics aren’t really going to do a thing, from what I’ve been told.

Every year or two we hear about the latest thing that’s suppose to get us, and for 99 pct of us it means very little.

E. coli is a bacteria.

Thanks for that! As I said, I didn’t read the article. Just saw the headline and made a comment.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.