The supposed "Great Apostacy"

Because, don’t take this wrong, but because it’s all made up. :frowning:

There was no Great Apostacy although I at least give credit that the Mormons had to believe this in order to deny the teachings of the early church.

Where is the evidence of these Hebrew nations in North America?

Why no DNA link in native Americans to Hebrew people?

Where did the Bible come from? Collected during the Apostacy some how?

I have Mormon family. I love them dearly but it is unbiblical to say Jesus abandoned his church and there is no reason to believe in the man made authority of the LDS church.

Continue your search for the truth.

We have writings from the early bishops who were taught directly by the Apostles. I would suggest you read their works.

God Bless

Just a clarification because I fully agree with you, but Ignatius heard John preach as a child, he was born after Jesus.

He was well acquainted with Polycarp as a contemporary.

I am in my mid-30’s and we were taught this load of horse manure back when I was a teen in the LDS church. We were a “chosen” and “rising” generation, and in the celestial kingdom, everyone would be so impressed with us because we were alive during this time. Well, they are telling the same load to the teens now.

Yeah, I was so worried about not being perfect as a teen, I didn’t want Jesus to return!

And continue, I shall!

Thank you to everyone who has responded so far. It’s nice to know I’m not the only LDS who has had a problem with it! (Hence, my search for the truth!)

I will have to ask my daughter as she goes with my dad. I don’t want her worrying! I was terrified and never got a temple recommend because I was certain I wasn’t worthy! Just this year, a friend of mine was like, “no one was! We all lied!”

I’m also in my 30’s and some of that fear is just now melting away.

I totally lied too! I even spent half my time in high school as an agnostic until I reasoned my way to God my senior year. Yes, I lied to the bishop and my parents and went on youth temple trips. This is also why I never “bore my testimony”. Because I believed in God, I was able to stomach attending BYU (they paid for my tuition and no other university would, so I went there). It still took me this long to figure it all out and leave. I was an old lady when I got married (30) so my children only had a stint in nursery before we left. They will have no memory of ever attending the LDS church. Yea! I am so happy to be finally coming home to where God always wanted me to be.

The most important thing is for you to know you are not alone. Feel free to PM me if you ever want to talk or vent.

Awesome! I will most likely be pming you shortly! There are things I really don’t mind about being LDS, most are generally good people mad I still have several friends who love the church, but there is also a lot I don’t miss and a lot of the doctrine just doesn’t sit well with me and after I had my daughter, I knew I would never be able to fall into their mold. (I even got lectured by people! I know that can happen anywhere, but people who I barely knew asked why I didn’t give my baby up to a good, Mormon family. That really ticked me off!) long story short, it kind of triggered my search and luckily, I come from a split religion family!

I am sitting here dumbstruck. They wanted you to give up your baby? People may get lectured in other faith traditions but this crosses an entirely different line. :eek:

Yes. I was a sinner who had premarital sex (which, okay, I was wrong. I admit that. But no one is perfect!) and it resulted in a pregnancy. But yes, I caught flack like “did I learn my lesson” and “I should give my baby to a good, Mormon family”. My father marched into the bishops office and said that wasn’t happening and people need to let up. The bishop told my dad he agreed and not to listen to the jerks! To this day, that man is a close, family friend. And my strict dad? Said he wanted to know his grandchild and if I wanted to keep and raise my baby, he would be the happiest grandpa ever. (Completely opposite of what I thought would happen. I thought he’d disown me!) and he’s an awesome dad and grandpa and my family is extremely close 12 years later.

Sorry about this, but reading your comments give me an almighty belly laugh, know I shouldn’t, but it was spontaneous. :smiley:

Praise God for your family. And as far as being a sinner, welcome to the club. :slight_smile:

Tradition identifies St. Ignatius as the child whom Jesus held as described in Matthew 18:4…:slight_smile:

From Catholic Encyclopedia:

More than one of the earliest ecclesiastical writers have given credence, though apparently without good reason, to the legend that Ignatius was the child whom the Savior took up in His arms, as described in Mark 9:35. It is also believed, and with great probability, that, with his friend Polycarp, he was among the auditors of the Apostle St.

LINK

I couldn’t be more grateful for my family. And thank you for the welcome! I think some forget they are not perfect and would rather just call everyone else out. I know we are all guilty at one point or another, but I try my best to keep from judging people.

The link says it is legend without good reason???

Shouldn’t we dismiss legends as simply legends? Especially when we have better evidence?

Everything I’ve read puts him between AD35-50 as being born.

Who isn’t a sinner? Did you learn your lesson?! Like having a baby is a punishment! Premarital sex is a sin, but a baby is not! Babies are beautiful blessings! I am so glad your father and bishop gave you love and support. Many unwed mothers are treated much worse in the LDS church.

It’s been a rough day so knowing that my comments cause a hearty Irish belly laugh makes my day! :smiley:

:shrug:

I am sure you’re right, my memory is a bit dusty sometimes, as I have a habit of reading rather old books… :slight_smile:

Perhaps it was Eusebius (or Polycarp? or Papias?) that I was recalling…looks like another opportunity to refresh my memory of it…thanks.

lol So, Mormons believe THE Apostle John lost his Authority, yet he came down with Peter and James to confer authority of the Mel. Priesthood on Joseph?

Really?

more LDS confusion

because John apparently decided to totally disobey Jesus…

more LDS confusion

I would just like to point out that Jesus went out of His way to grab the attention of a really bad and mean sinner, one that had not personally met Him when he was alive.

He did not only because Saulo was persecuting the early Christians but as a result of his conversion he became known as the “Apostle to the Gentiles”. (St. Paul)

Any one doubts that, if He did this for the “worthless” gentiles. Would HE allow His followers to be left without shepards for what 1800 years?
Really?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.