The surprising thing ancient mummies tell us about what to eat

The surprising thing ancient mummies tell us about what to eat wapo.st/1mqc9hE

If I understood the article, they said it doesn’t matter what you eat, just eat less of it - stay lean.

I’m in trouble, but I’ve made a 2016 resolution to get leaner :smiley:

LOL Artherosclerosis is an ongoing inflammatory process not really related to any specific diet. Inflammation is what causes the plaque to adhere. What causes the inflammation is not known.

Chocolate?

Make that dark chocolate…and a minimal amount. :slight_smile:

I love dark chocolate!!!

How about chocolate flavored fish oil! yummy

Dr. Lundell, and others, are taking another approach:

Heart surgeon speaks out on what really causes heart disease

What are the biggest culprits of chronic inflammation? Quite simply, they are the overload of simple, highly processed carbohydrates (sugar, flour and all the products made from them) and the excess consumption of omega-6 vegetable oils like soybean, corn and sunflower that are found in many processed foods.

From my own experience, cutting out wheat products and processed foods made from wheat has helped me lose 10 lbs in about 12 wks. I’ve always been naturally thin, but the ‘middle age spread’ happened anyway. I feel much closer to my goal weight, though I know weight isn’t everything. We’ll see if my cholesterol numbers are down when I see my dr at the end of this month.

My dh, who is pre-diabetic & takes med’s for it, and needs to lose a significant amt of lbs, has also had much success with this diet. It’s fairly easy to do, once you find some substitutes and plan ahead. His cholesterol numbers are down. His dr also is of the opinion that a diet too low in fats is not entirely beneficial.

We eat olive oil, butter, some coconut oil and the fat that comes naturally from the meats and fish we eat.

I really think sugar will turn out to be a big factor in good healthy eating habits - much less of it, that is.

Here is a more recent article from Dr Hyman:
Eggs Don’t Cause Heart Attacks — Sugar Does

Happy New Year!
Mimi

I have a sweet tooth so this is my challenge for the new year, reduce the amount of sweets I eat.

Actually my challenge for this year is to decrease the amount I eat.

Must learn to be satisfied with less.

I’ve seen similar writings before and the article does raise the question , what causes heart disease? What brings about cardiac events? As the article brings up the theory that CT calcium in arteries, the clogged pumping theory, leads to heart attacks. In contradiction to that people can have heart attacks with no calcium in their arteries, the plumbing system clear.

“What does cause heart disease?”

drmalcolmkendrick.org/2015/03/01/what-does-cause-heart-disease/

snippet from Dr. Kendrick’s article:

…But is 414.0 what actually kills you? You can have coronary arteries blocked up to 70:80:90 even 100% without having a heart attack a.k.a. a myocardial infarction:

‘We conclude that total occlusion of the major coronary artery occurs commonly in patients with chronic coronary disease, but is associated with myocardial infarction in only 65%.’2

On the other hand you can find people with completely clear coronary arteries who have died of – what has been clearly diagnosed as – a myocardial infarction. Here is a paper from the European Heart Journal published last year, entitled: ‘Acute myocardial infarction with no obstructive coronary atherosclerosis: mechanisms and management.’

‘Myocardial infarction with no obstructive coronary atherosclerosis (MINOCA), a syndrome with several causes, is frequent in patients admitted with the diagnosis of M (myocardial infarction ‘heart attack’ my words). An accurate and systematic diagnostic work-up, is crucial for the identification of the cause of MINOCA in each individual patient, and then for risk stratification and for the implementation of the most appropriate forms of treatment. Yet, patients with MINOCA, in particular those with angiographically normal-coronary arteries, are frequently labelled as ‘non-cardiac patients’, thus missing the opportunity to appropriately treat patients with an outcome worse than previously believed.’1

In this study they found that about 5 – 25% of those admitted with ‘infarctions’ had no coronary atherosclerosis. So ischaemic heart disease/MI can very frequently occur without the presence of any atherosclerotic plaques at all.

Unfortunately, the plot thickens even further. In many cases it can be found that a large blood clot (thrombus) can form in an artery days or weeks before the myocardial infarction actually occurs.

Here is an interesting little section from an article with a very boring title: ‘The temporal relationship and clinical significance of plaque substrate in healing coronary thrombi from sudden deaths attributed to rupture and erosion.’

‘Although the morphology of the culprit plaque has been extensively studied, especially rupture, relatively little is known about the temporal relationship between the onset of acute coronary events and thrombus maturation. The occurrence of nonlethal ruptures recognized by accumulated fibrous tissue at healed repair sites suggests that healing thrombi represent an episodic cycle of lesion progression. Moreover, thrombi from fatal plaques are in various stages of healing, further suggesting that death might not necessarily coincide with the initial onset of thrombus formation.’3

Now, in English.

The thrombus ‘clot’ formation – the thing that is supposed to kill you within minutes of hours after forming – may well not actually occur shortly before you die. It can occur days or ever weeks earlier. Which mean that, in many cases the thrombus forms, the artery blocks, and nothing happens until – in some cases – weeks later.

This does not really fit with the current model of heart disease, which is very simple, and it goes something like this:

The coronary arteries gradually narrow and thicken.
At some point, a thrombus forms on top of one of the narrowest bits (the plaque),
This blocks the artery completely.
The heart muscle then rapidly runs out of oxygen and infarcts (dies).
In around 50% of cases you die as the heart stops beating, or goes into fibrillation – or suchlike
I call this the plumbing model of heart disease. Pump, pipes, blockage to the pipe in the pump …death. However, you can have final stage 100% occlusive atherosclerotic plaques without an MI. It is also perfectly possible have an MI without atherosclerosis. In addition, the formation of a thrombus does not necessarily correlate in any way, in timescale, with the MI – at all.

Because of all these problems with the current model, it would be perfectly possible to argue that we have the entire process of ‘heart disease’ the wrong way round. Indeed, I regularly communicate with a Brazilian called Carlos Monteiro, a researcher who proposes the myogenic theory of heart disease. He believes that the MI starts within the heart muscle itself, and the clot in the arteries comes afterwards.

His reasoning – following on from the work of his father in Law, the cardiologist Dr Mesquita is, as follows:…

I would put my money on oxidative stress being the cause.

I have worked in health research for a few years now and in now way believe that cardiovascular issues (to include heart attacks, strokes, etc) are caused by any “plumbing problem.”. Most have been lead to believe that some buildup of something causes our cardiovascular system to become clogged and the eventual result is a heart attack or some other catastrophic health event.

Here is what I have found out, a breakdown in the cellular structure of what comprises an artery or other major blood carrying vessel causes internal rupture. The body then reacts by clotting the rupture, the clot is commonly mistaken as the “plumbing problem.”. I will link to a video that better explains what I am talking about.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=sUughw_EUeo

Like I mentioned earlier, the true issue is oxidative stress and I have an abundance of research I would be happy to share with anyone on any health related subject as well as REAL solutions. Message me or post a reply here.

Thanks for the video with Dr. Sachs. We all have our choices I suppose on the healthy path one takes for prevention. It’s somewhat similar to what Dr. Sachs mentions with heart healthy eating, with her recommendations of fresh fruits and vegetables - the diet I have been following for prevention is Dr. Davis’s. He recommends eating fresh real foods and avoiding grains. He also suggests taking a few supplements such as vitamin D3, aiming for testing levels above 50g/ml below 70g/ml. So far so good for me. Dr. Davis mentions that his patients stopped experiencing cardiac events on the diet. I’m hoping that remains true.

With the plumbing theory, when i began reading study articles that heart stents and angioplasty were not preventing cardiac events, I began thinking something else is going.

“The Joy of Coronary Arteries (The body ain’t that simple)”

drmalcolmkendrick.org/2012/04/13/the-joy-of-coronary-arteries-the-body-aint-that-simple/

It is my understanding that’s what happened with news commentator, Tim Russert.

I am a lover of sweets. Some years back, I discovered by accident that what I always thought of as a “sweet craving” was actually a “fruit craving”. Eating fruit fully satisfies my desire to eat sweets…if the fruit is actually ripe.

Trouble is that so much of the fruit available to us isn’t really ripe and isn’t as sweet as fully ripe fruit. It’s tough to pick out the ripest fruit in a store. It’s almost an art form.

I realize some think fruit sugar is just as bad as any other, but i have my doubts about that. In any event, there are other things in fruit. It isn’t just candy-with-a-stem.

I also have come to believe we do have some inherited propensities to react negatively to one diet or another. So, for example, 80% of Indo-Europeans retain lactose tolerance into adulthood, and are about the only people on earth who do.

Why is that? Well, for millenia Indo-Europeans were herders on the Eurasian steppes; totally dependent on their animals for food in the form of meat and milk.

So, is the “Mediterranean diet” best for people of Mediterranean origin only, perhaps?

I do my best not to buy fruit from the store but rather grow my own indoors, year round. Ever hear of a Tower Garden? I’ve been using one for years and it works incredibly well. If you have questions send me a message.

About the only thing I buy from the grocery store produce section is bananas, most everything else is probably at least 2-3 weeks old. Within 5 days after being harvested produce loses 75% of its nutrient content, what you get from the grocery store may be edible but not necessarily nutritious.

Food is food and is not dependent upon the person eating it. The video I linked to previously is only 10 minutes out of a 30 minute presentation Dr. Sachs offered. She spoke extensively on the importance of fresh fruit and vegetable nutrition and used the “Mediterranean diet” as an example of the associated health benefits that come from such consumption.

Aside from controlling fruit and vegetable production with my Tower Garden I also use Juice Plus which has been an answered prayer for many health problems I have experienced.

I doubt I will ever have the time to do an indoor garden. I do well to find my shoes in the morning. But if you have information on it and it is not too much trouble, send me a link or something.

When I was growing up in a rural area, I ate fresh fruit from mid-spring through September. I’ll grant we also had these incredibly ugly, rock-hard pears that we wrapped in newspaper and put in the basement. By Christmas, they were tender, juicy and delicious. We also kept apples that would last that long and longer. Other things, my mother canned.

I sometimes wonder whether, with the supposedly “fresh” fruit and vegetables we buy at the store now, we are actually any better off from the standpoint of nutrition. I have my doubts. Home-canned tomatoes or green beans might have lost a lot of their nutrition, but at least they were fully ripe when they were canned.

And yes, there was added sugar in the jams and jellies, (though not the blackberries. They were just blackberries in blackberry juice) but at least they were made with fresh fruit when they were made and had no fillers of any kind.

Making myself hungry here.:blush:

I have read stuff from the 60’s that projected an incredible depletion in the future nutrient density in foods. In large part this is due to industrial agriculture but I personally believe it is because the public at large has been careless in their ignorance regarding the health and nutritional needs. Also most medical professionals, whom most people believe to be experts on the subject, receive little education on the nutrition (most get 1 college course).

We live in an age of fast junk food that tends to be high in bad calories and has little to no phytonutrient content. The lack of phytonutrients contributes as much as anything to our cellular breakdown which is the primary cause of the majority of health concerns. Then we see doctors who don’t solve problems but rather treat our symptoms with overpriced and ineffective prescription drugs.

I don’t doubt a bit of this.

As I have mentioned before, I eat grass-fed beef and can afford to do it because I raise the beef myself. But if you even just look at, say, a grass-fed steak and one you get from the store, the differences are dramatic. The former is very, very red, not streaked with fat, and it “stands up”. What you buy in the store is an unattractive pink, laced with fat, and flaccid.

I understand the fat difference is due to grain feeding of commercially available meat. But one wonders why the colors are so different. Do they do something to it that extends the meat counter life or something? Grass fed is not tough if the animal is prime stock and at the right age. Do they put something on or in the store bought meat to tenderize lesser quality stuff; something that changes the color and texture?

If they treat unripe apples with a gas that reddens them to make them look ripe, it’s hard not to wonder what else gets done to other things.

I’ll add this, and then I’ll quit for now.

I don’t raise chickens because it’s more expensive than buying chicken from the processor and around here owls and hawks carry them off before you can get a good head count on them. But I have had “range chickens” before and the difference in taste and texture is very noticeable.

Same with pork. I once made a deal with a hillbilly who wanted to buy some piglets to raise. I told him I would buy the piglets and pay for their mill feed and butchering, and we would share the meat. He didn’t want to feed them much mill feed because (at least then) he could go around to the dumpsters in back of stores and gather up fruit and vegetables that were discarded because they were past their prime. I was astonished that he would regularly bring whole pickup loads of apples, peaches, corn, lettuce, pears, peas, beans, figs, oranges, cantaloupes, you name it, all mixed together. The pigs loved it.

Best pork I ever had, before or since.

Just to throw this out there as a curiosity. Dr. Sachs’s comment about the lack of fresh fruit and vegetables that people eat reminded me of it.

There was a doctor, famous in his day that was curing many people of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and a host of other conditions. His diet was simple - white rice and fresh fruit.

rawfoodsos.com/2015/10/06/in-defense-of-low-fat-a-call-for-some-evolution-of-thought-part-1/
excerpts from Denise Minger’s article:

…At the time, very few researchers believed that food could have any effect on kidney disease. Or high blood pressure. Or diabetes. Or heart disease. Or most other chronically wrong-going things in the body. As with Ancel Keys, who was pretty much laughed out of the WHO conference where he presented his “fat causes heart disease” idea, Kempner spent the first chunk of his career swimming upstream in a river of skepticism.

But his colleagues’ dubiousness didn’t last long. After placing patient after so-called-hopeless patient on his unique regimen, it became clear that Kempner’s diet worked. Really ridiculously well. And it became equally clear that the kidney wasn’t the only body part made happy by the new cuisine. Obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart failure, coronary artery disease, psoriasis, and arthritis often saw major improvement or total reversal as a result of the diet. During the course of his career, Kempner treated over 18,000 patients with the above conditions—all by changing what went on the stabby end of their forks.

So what was in this mystical diet of his? Brace yourself!

White rice
Fruit
Fruit juice
Refined table sugar
In some cases, vitamin supplements (A, D, thiamine, riboflavin, and niacin)
…And not a darned thing else. Kempner summed up the details himself in a 1974 article, readable here:

A patient takes an average of 250 to 350 gm. of rice (dry weight) daily; any kind of rice may be used provided no sodium, chloride, milk, etc. has been added during its processing. … All fruit juices and fruits are allowed, with the exception of nuts, dates, avocados and any dried or canned fruit or fruit derivatives to which substances other than white sugar have been added. Not more than one banana a day should be taken. White sugar and dextrose may be used ad libitum; on an average a patient takes about 100 grams daily, but, if necessary, as much as 500 grams daily should be used. Tomato and vegetable juices are not allowed.

In other words, it was the CARBPOCALYPSE. Along with feasting on impressive amounts of white rice, people were averaging 100 grams of pure sugar a day, and some ate over a pound of it. That’s up to 2,000 calories from refined sugar alone—the same amount deliciously packed into 25 Cadbury Creme Eggs.

&

…For starters, Kempner was just as perplexed as us modern-day health enthusiasts might be when it comes to the effect his diet had on diabetics. As he penned in the paper you cannot see:

We have for the past 15 years treated numerous diabetic patients with the rice diet. Since more than 90 percent of the calories in this diet are derived from carbohydrates, it was anticipated that increased amounts of insulin would be necessary to keep the blood sugar at its previous level. However, the opposite proved to be true. … Not only is the rice diet well tolerated but in many instances the blood sugar and the insulin requirements decrease.

In this report, Kempner analyzed 100 diabetics who’d entered the rice diet program between 1944 and 1955. All of them strictly followed the diet for at least three months (often much longer), and they were observed an average of nearly two years—with some folks monitored for up to eleven years after they’d first embarked on the carby cuisine.

The findings? Ladies and gents, place your bets…

More than half of those 100 diabetic ricers—63%—actually saw their fasting blood sugar drop by at least 20 mg/dL during the diet. Only 15% had their blood sugar go up significantly. The remaining 22 saw little to no change.

To get a visual sense of those numbers, here’s an aptly named pie graph (don’t worry; it’s fat and carb free!). “Increased” or “decreased” is defined as a change of at least 20 mg/dL:…

&

…All that said, an important critical-thinky question remains: was this all just a byproduct of weight loss? We know that restricting calories and dropping pounds can definitely boost insulin sensitivity and glucose control, regardless of whether the diet used is particularly healthy. It’s one thing to not be diabetic because you’re eating kale and grass-fed buffalo whose ancestors were blessed by Sacagawea, and another to not be diabetic because you’re living on napkins and crack. Can we at least say that the successful diabetics were the ones who lost weight throughout the program, spontaneously eating less, unamused by a diet that had exactly one-and-a-half flavors?

NOPE. As Kempner pointed out, any obese patients were indeed encouraged to lose weight—but the improvements in blood sugar levels and insulin requirements occurred “both in patients who lost weight and in those who did not have a significant weight change” (his words). Kempner’s data, both in this paper and in the massive collection of his work filed away at Duke University, showed that the diet could benefit diabetics even when their weight and energy intake didn’t budge.

And it didn’t end there. The rice diet also proved helpful for heart failure. It rapidly healed psoriasis. It excelled at its original goal of treating high blood pressure. The “good for” list stretched on nearly as far as those endless bowls of rice! As early as 1949, Kempner had observed that the rice diet was healing more than 70% of his seriously ill, not-responding-to-other-treatments patients from a wide spectrum of disease backgrounds. That figure stayed pretty stable as the decades rolled on…

closed #20

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.