The Ten Commandments.

If we no longer observe the Sabbath and the Day of the Lord is what is to be kept in the New Covenant how does that relate to the rest of the Old Covenant commandments?

In other words, How exactly does the New Covenant abrogate the Old?

Joab, we are no longer bound by the Law, of which the 10 Commandments are a part. If we are bound by the 10 Commandments as written, then we must also be subject to the specific punishments prescribed in the OT for breaking each Commandment. Yet, we are not. Thus, we are not bound by the Commandments themselves (which are legal requirements), but by the righteousness (perfected in the Person of Christ) that lies behind each of the Commandments. And so, by selecting Sunday as its day of worship, the Church holds to the righteousness of the Commandment while being free from the Law of the Commandment itself. Further, no Christians of the early Church kept the Sabbath observance. On Saturdays, the earliest Christians lived and worshipped as Jews, evangelizing their Jewish brethren in the synagogues (a work). Their “day of rest,” the day on which they gathered to pray and worship among themselves exclusively was the following day, the Lord’s Day: Sunday.

This first site is for the late John Paul II’s encyclical, Dies Domini (on the proper keeping of the Lord’s Day):

vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_letters/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_05071998_dies-domini_en.html

This second site specifically addresses the “Seventh-Day observers” with links to fundamental articles on the subject:

diesdomini.com/

Joab, we are no longer bound by the Law, of which the 10 Commandments are a part.

The Ten Commandments (Aseret ha-Dibrot) are not part of the Law. They are categories.

The Aseret ha-Dibrot are not understood as individual mitzvot; rather, they are categories or classifications of mitzvot. Each of the 613 mitzvot can be subsumed under one of these ten categories, some in more obvious ways than others. For example, the mitzvah not to work on Shabbat rather obviously falls within the category of remembering the Sabbath day and keeping it holy. The mitzvah to fast on Yom Kippur fits into that category somewhat less obviously: all holidays are in some sense a Sabbath, and the category encompasses any mitzvah related to sacred time. The mitzvah not to stand aside while a person’s life is in danger fits somewhat obviously into the category against murder. It is not particularly obvious, however, that the mitzvah not to embarrass a person fits within the category against murder: it causes the blood to drain from your face thereby shedding blood.

jewfaq.org/10.htm
jewfaq.org/halakhah.htm

Why, yes, I forgot that the ten categories were in the Ark of the Covenant. :wink:

1. Jesus worshiped on Sunday as do we, this does not mean Saturday is insignificant at all. God would not be so childish to reject our love on any day. As we believe Jesus was God in form we believe God allowed both Saturday and Sunday worship. The Church holds that each member is to worship each Sunday as Jesus did.

2. I would say to you the Old Testament and the New Testament are the same! This appears to be true, however since the message was recorded by very different people in very different circumstances the record reflects this. As a result of the human influence a quick read and usually all first reads result in the belief the two testaments are very different. Given time to study the read usually concludes the messages carried in both Testaments are identical.

3. “The Law” a Jewish term of which I am no expert. If you read Leviticus (second book in the Old Testament) you will see many items we believe to be outside of God’s true desire for us. We believe Jesus came to us to adjust our understand concern living by rules verses living as good humans for which we were designed. We believe we live as God intended, which is the root message of both Testaments. The Church’s Magisterium is charged with identifying the root messages from God.

Hope that helps

Thanks for taking the time to provide this good answer.

I hadn’t thought of them as categories.

Are these sites within the teaching of the Magisterium?

Thank you.

It helps a litte. I was recently discouraged a bit by some MJ’s who choose to Judaize and began this thread here to clarify their misconceptions a bit for myself. I was hoping to get some specific abrogations at the time but am content now. There is a link above for a pertinent encyclical by JPII that I hope to get back to when I have the time.

Thanks for the help.

Only Jews were under the Old Covenent.
The Old covenent included the 10 commandments, because they were part of the natural law or moral law.
All people are under the moral law.

The day of worship was NOT part of the moral law or natural law, though it was placed there to give the Jews a time to worship.

In other words, the day of the week is nor evil or good, thus it is not part of the moral law.
Murder, theft, etc. is evil in itself. Thus it is part of the moral law.
God chose a certain day because of symbolic reasons, not because some days are evil and some are good.

When a Jew became a Christian he was no longer under the law of Moses, which required sabbath worship, but he was now under the law of Christ. Jesus kept the commandments and expanded upon them, but He moved the Church to change the day of worship to the day of His resurrection.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.