The Ten Lost Tribes

The so-called Ten Lost Tribes are not given any particular note within Scriptures…
The Twelve Tribes are…
When did that phrase come into existence?

My grandma’s apple pie isn’t mentioned in Scripture. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist or doesn’t refer to something that really exists and has meaning. :wink:

Which phrase? “Ten lost tribes”? Or “twelve tribes of Israel”?

“Lost Tribes”

The 12 Tribes are the only reference to Tribes which get mentioned in Scripture

Note: I’m not sola scriptura

It’s just a way to describe the people of the Northern Kingdom who the Assyrians exiled.

“lost tribes”

Yes… and When did that phrase with the “lost” - come into usage?

_

Some time following the Assyrian Exile?

I’m not certain what you’re trying to get at here. Feel like speaking more plainly?

I see, even though I don’t quite agree. The thread isn’t about Israel-Palestine though, so I would rather not move the thread there, but personally I don’t agree that it is “revisionist”. I don’t believe that choosing one over the other, as you put it, is conductive to peace. I do believe that peace should take into mind the rights and legitimacy of both peoples, the Jews who were exiled from the land and the Palestinians who may be or may not be descendants of converted Jews. Just my opinion, feel free to critique it or outright deny it. I do agree that it quite a difficult position to manifest into a tangible peace plan, but when has peace ever been simple?

Some time following the Assyrian Exile could mean sometime in the 20th Century…

Care to tighten up that date?

_

To what end?

Are you claiming that the phrase “ten lost tribes” has no validity and no historical presence?

In any case, Josephus references the ten tribes in his Antiquities. (That’s quite earlier than the 20th century. :wink: )

Some of the survivors moved to Judah; the prophetess Anna was descended from them. Some of them remained in their ancestral homeland and married Gentiles, producing the Samaritans. Others were scattered as far as India. In the mid-2000’s, I heard reports of the descendants of the tribe of Manasseh living in India being recognized as Jews by Israel.

To the end of finding out When in Time - the term “lost” came into usage…

Obviously, the term “10 lost tribes” has come into common parlance…

Josephus and I both refer to those tribes as ‘scattered’ and ‘dispersed’ - which, is not Lost.

The NT gives zero indication that 10 of the 12 known to them tribes are Lost…

In the NT - The 12 Tribes are mentioned at least a half-dozen times
without any claims that they are considered “lost”.

Rather, they’re simply mentioned as existing… in the manner of knowing they exist…

One account which says they are dispersed …

• contains a v.interesting and important admonition/teaching
  1. James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ,
  2. To the twelve tribes scattered among the nations:
  3. Greetings.
  4. Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
  5. If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.

Again… When in Time did the word L O S T come about? :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s such a simple question… and nothing more.

And if you do not know… that’s ok…

And? So?

And… it’s an irrelevant question. You seem to be wanting to suggest that “lost” means “irretrievably lost”. That’s not true. Nor has anyone suggested that it’s so. The tribes are reconstituted as the People of God through the New Covenant.

If you want to suggest otherwise, then please produce the evidence. Otherwise, I’d suggest you cease attempting to make more out of the name than what’s there.

Out of curiosity, where is it that the gentiles are counted as the lost tribes? I’ve always understood it as we were adopted into the family of Abraham, not into the tribes of Israel?

I’m not saying I don’t believe you, I would just like to read more on it, it’s interesting.

No I’m not…

_

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.