The tendency of sexual thoughts

Is thinking about sex a sin? Is it a mortal sin?

What if thinking about sex with one of the same gender? Is it a mortal sin?

According to my understanding, homosexual tendency is not a sin while homosexual activities are grave sins. So suppose a Catholic man does not undergo homosexual activities but feels a strong attachment to other men, and has sexual fantasy with men (which in some occasions are close to sadism or are beyond reason) before he sleeps. Is this also a kind of adultery?

If a Catholic tries to control sexual fantasies but fails, is it a must that he go to Hell even after Baptism?

How to eradicate all thoughts about sex?

Last week, my school invited a doctor to have a talk during an assembly about how to ‘transform gay men into straight guys’, and the nearly brainwashing talk sparked fierce debates and confrontations between many students and Religious Studies teachers. That’s why I have the above questions in mind.

Any official Catholic teachings on homosexuality and the above matters?

Willingly consenting to lustful thoughts with full knowledge and full consent of the will is mortally sinful regardless of if it is heterosexual or homosexual. All three conditions must be present for both.

According to my understanding, homosexual tendency is not a sin while homosexual activities are grave sins. So suppose a Catholic man does not undergo homosexual activities but feels a strong attachment to other men, and has sexual fantasy with men (which in some occasions are close to sadism or are beyond reason) before he sleeps. Is this also a kind of adultery?

Again, depends on if full knowledge and full consent are present. Also, they need to be present at the same time. If someone is daydreaming and has full consent, but doesn’t realize that it is wrong because they are daydreaming, it is not mortal. When all three conditions for mortal sin are present at the same, mortal sin exists. If even one of the three is missing, then it does not exist. Most of the time lustful thoughts are not intentional. St. Alphonsus Ligouri, the Doctor of Moral Theology, said that we can be sure that sin does not exist if we pray during the moment of temptation.

If a Catholic tries to control sexual fantasies but fails, is it a must that he go to Hell even after Baptism?

How to eradicate all thoughts about sex?

All mortal sins can be forgiven in the confessional.

It is next to impossible to completely “eradicate all thoughts about sex”. You simply pray to God to take the thoughts away and do not willingly indulge in them.

Last week, my school invited a doctor to have a talk during an assembly about how to ‘transform gay men into straight guys’, and the nearly brainwashing talk sparked fierce debates and confrontations between many students and Religious Studies teachers. That’s why I have the above questions in mind.

Any official Catholic teachings on homosexuality and the above matters?

There is no official Catholic teaching on that type of therapy. The Church does not know the cause of homosexuality, and recognizes that any number of factors could be at work.

Some people around here think that the gay conversion therapies work. I am of the belief that they don’t, because the only studies that support them are not the most credible. (I will be challenged on this on CAF, but it is true…) The Church does not require gay people to try to change their orientation. She requires that they live in chastity according to their state in life.

If gay people have sexual fantasies without any sexual activities, are they still living in chastity?

I hate to nitpick, but the OP mentioned “thinking about sex,” not necessarily the phrase “lustful thoughts.” So it might be fair to note that a “thought about sex” is not *necessarily *“lustful.”

I think we all have sexual thoughts. We are only humans. The question is what we do with those thoughts.

Sex has always been a “big issue” for reasons I do not know. It a struggle for The RCC to navigate thru a narrow passage and avoid stepping on someones toes. Sex is absolutely normal and healty, and not a sin as long as it is in take place in a marriage.

I think that this “sex-incident” is merely something that we don’t talk about, as much as we should. There is this saying “just lie still and think of England” so for women sex are a (God forbid enjoy it) “dirty deed” and we men just take what we want. IMO women have the full right to enjoy sex, as we men have. But we should talk about it, and by that make it a “clean” act between a man and a woman, as it is.

And what about gay-people? I agree with The CCC on that matter.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.