The Term "Roman Catholic"

Does anyone else dislike the term “Roman Catholic”? Personally, I *hate *that term–it’s just Catholic! Not *Roman *Catholic. The Catholic Church never calls herself the “Roman Catholic Church” but only “the Catholic Church.” If I understand correctly, this term was invented by Anglicans after the Protestant Reformation. It implies that there are Catholic churches besides the one, Catholic and apostolic church in communion with the See of St. Peter in Rome. And I’ve also noticed that Catholics usually just say “Catholic” but non-Catholics, especially high-church Protestants and Orthodox always say “Roman Catholic.” I know I’m on a rant, but it is like scratching a chalkboard whenever I hear it. Does anyone feel similarly?

I prefer Latin-rite Catholic.

[quote=Anima Christi]Does anyone else dislike the term “Roman Catholic”? Personally, I *hate *that term–it’s just Catholic! Not *Roman *Catholic. The Catholic Church never calls herself the “Roman Catholic Church” but only “the Catholic Church.” If I understand correctly, this term was invented by Anglicans after the Protestant Reformation. It implies that there are Catholic churches besides the one, Catholic and apostolic church in communion with the See of St. Peter in Rome. And I’ve also noticed that Catholics usually just say “Catholic” but non-Catholics, especially high-church Protestants and Orthodox always say “Roman Catholic.” I know I’m on a rant, but it is like scratching a chalkboard whenever I hear it. Does anyone feel similarly?
[/quote]

Anima Christi,

I appreciate your feelings, but sometimes it is necessary to specify Roman Catholic to distinguish the Roman Catholic Church from the Ukrainian Catholic Church, the Syro-Malabar Catholic Church, the Chaldean Catholic Church, and other such churches which are in full communion with the Roman church. There is also the possibility of confusion with the English Catholics (also called Anglicans) and the American Catholic Church; neither of these is in communion iwth Rome.

• Liberian

Here is a great article about the history of the name: ewtn.com/faith/teachings/churb3.htm

I just say that I’m Catholic. Proud of it, too! :smiley: (But I do use “Roman Catholic” on official documents.)

Yea, the name Roman Catholic is the name assigned by non-Catholic’s to refer to the Catholic Church. There are however more rites than just the Latin rite, but I don’t think people realize this is the case.

matt

[quote=Liberian]Anima Christi,

I appreciate your feelings, but sometimes it is necessary to specify Roman Catholic to distinguish the Roman Catholic Church from the Ukrainian Catholic Church, the Syro-Malabar Catholic Church, the Chaldean Catholic Church, and other such churches which are in full communion with the Roman church. There is also the possibility of confusion with the English Catholics (also called Anglicans) and the American Catholic Church; neither of these is in communion iwth Rome.

• Liberian
    [/quote]

All of these Eastern-rite churches are in communion with the Holy See, and are part of the one Catholic church. Catholics of the Western rites are properly called Latin rite Catholics, not Roman Catholics.
Any person or church that is not in communion with Rome, is not truly Catholic.

To make my Greek brothers a bit uneasy I say Roman Orthodox.

I dislike it the term…when refering generally I always say Catholic…usually if I’m in a discussion I’ll say Latin-Rite Catholic to further specify what I am.

[quote=marty1818] There are however more rites than just the Latin rite, but I don’t think people realize this is the case.
matt
[/quote]

very true. My family were struck speechless when informed that there was more than just the RCC. (They’re Baptist and only think there is only one CC, the RCC. :whacky: ) :smiley: I also dislike the term Roman CC and prefer" Latin Western Rite." :smiley:

[quote=Jayson]I prefer Latin-rite Catholic.
[/quote]

Me too.:yup:

I dislike the term also.

I like “Roman Catholic”, because it distinguishes our direct subordination to the Patriarch of Rome (the Pope). All the Eastern Catholic Churches are also (indirectly) subject to the Pope as Supreme Pontiff, but not as Patriarch. The Eastern Catholics have their own patriarchs. I think of “Roman Catholic” as a patriarchal term, not a blanket description for all Catholics.

Here’s an article by Jimmy Akin a while back that shows the pejorative origins of the term:

cin.org/users/james/questions/q072.htm

While I only refer to myself as Catholic, one of the best ways to take the steam out of an insult is to have fun with it. I forget who, but someone here has under their profile religion: Romish Papist Catholic. :smiley: I love it.

The word “Catholic” means “universal.” I dislike juxtaposing it with a “limiting” word such as “Roman.”

However, as other communions have legitimate claim to the term “Catholic,” it is sometimes expedient to use the term “Roman Catholic” to differentiate ourselves.

“Latin Rite” is specific to only one Rite of the “Roman Catholic” Church. I do not know of a term other than “Roman Catholic” that describes the entire Chhurch under the Roman Pontiff.

IMHO, this is a shortcoming within the Church. We ought to have an appropriate term to describe ourselves! Since we lack such a term, I suppose we have no right to complain.

It irks me, as a Byzantine Catholic, to be lumped in as a ‘Roman Catholic’. Since WE ARE in Union with Rome, it still DOES NOT make us Roman.

I once e-mailed a national Catholic apologist
and he wrote saying that: “If you are in union with the Pope of Rome, ‘you ARE Roman Catholic’”. I couldn’t believe THIS! I was coming from a WELL KNOWN Catholic Apologist. (I am NOT at liberty to say who it was, but I now watch what I hear coming from him. – Karl and Jimmy, your safe, no need to worry).

In my profile this is what I wrote:
“Cathoic in the Byzantine RIte of the Rutherian tradition”

And those of us in the Latin-rite are not properly called “Roman Catholics” but Latin Catholics or Latin-rite Catholics. I could see how you could say “Roman Catholic” to indicate one’s communion with Rome, but to me it seems to imply that there are Catholics churches which are not in union with Rome.
Those who are in communion with the Roman Pontiff are the only Catholics, they alone!

[quote=DeFide]Here’s an article by Jimmy Akin a while back that shows the pejorative origins of the term:

cin.org/users/james/questions/q072.htm

While I only refer to myself as Catholic, one of the best ways to take the steam out of an insult is to have fun with it. I forget who, but someone here has under their profile religion: Romish Papist Catholic. :smiley: I love it.
[/quote]

TY - that’s why I use it :smiley:

The Orthodox call themselves Catholic too, so this is a tricky one.

“Papist” has the advantages of:
[list]
*]not having any associations with words used in common by the Orthodox & by Latin-Rite Catholics;
*]emphasising the importance of the Pope; which is sound ecclesiology for us
*]and of brevity;
*]taking the steam out of the insult, just as you said
*]being a nickname which, like “Christian” or “Methodist” can become a badge of honour. ##
[/list]

[quote=Gottle of Geer]## TY - that’s why I use it :smiley:

The Orthodox call themselves Catholic too, so this is a tricky one.

“Papist” has the advantages of:

[list]
*]not having any associations with words used in common by the Orthodox & by Latin-Rite Catholics;
*]emphasising the importance of the Pope; which is sound ecclesiology for us
*]and of brevity;
*]taking the steam out of the insult, just as you said
*]being a nickname which, like “Christian” or “Methodist” can become a badge of honour. ##
[/list]
[/quote]

While I hate the term Roman Catholic, I love to say Papist, Popery, Romanist, etc. I think it is so funny. Me and some of my Catholic friends often do impressions of Protestant Fudamentalists and we call eachother papists. LOL.:smiley:
Have you seen this? I think it is hilarious, and I’m gonna order one when school starts again, I can’t wait to wear it around campus! :rotfl:
cafepress.com/ratzfanclub.10130950

[quote=Steve Green]To make my Greek brothers a bit uneasy I say Roman Orthodox.
[/quote]

I hope you realize that the Roman Empire did not come to an end until the fall of Constantinople. Greece was part of that empire and Greeks have traditionally thought of themselves as Romans since that is what they were historically and they were among the last who could legitimately be called such. Orthodox also see themselves very much as the “catholic” church so it would seem that your Greek Orthodox friends have the strongest claim to the title “Roman Catholic” :smiley:

Christos Anesti! Christ is Risen!
John.

[quote=Anima Christi]Does anyone else dislike the term “Roman Catholic”? Personally, I *hate *that term–it’s just Catholic! Not *Roman *Catholic. The Catholic Church never calls herself the “Roman Catholic Church” but only “the Catholic Church.” If I understand correctly, this term was invented by Anglicans after the Protestant Reformation. It implies that there are Catholic churches besides the one, Catholic and apostolic church in communion with the See of St. Peter in Rome. And I’ve also noticed that Catholics usually just say “Catholic” but non-Catholics, especially high-church Protestants and Orthodox always say “Roman Catholic.” I know I’m on a rant, but it is like scratching a chalkboard whenever I hear it. Does anyone feel similarly?
[/quote]

The Byzantines are not Roman Catholics, their rite came out of Byzantium, not Rome. I do not like the term at all.

[/quote]

I think the term The Catholic Church should be used instead. We’re not all Roman Rite. What I really detest, though, are the mnemonics like RC, RCC, CC, etc. I wish we could all agree to use the term “The Catholic Church” in place of all of these.

Pax Christi.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.