The terms "Christianism" and "Catholicist"

Christianism is considered a politico-religious aspect among many Christians who want secular laws that reflect their Christian faith. It’s like a counterpoint to the term “Islamism” and Islams relationship to Sharia Law.

…but what about the term: Catholicist. Could we call someone who is Catholic, and wants Secular laws to reflect the Catholic faith in particular a Catholicist…? Just wondering.

Because we refer to Sharia Law advocates as “Islamists”. Or would the term “Christianist” be better?

When I see Catholics who seem to push their political agenda over charity, I think to myself: what a … (Blank, there is no term)

I think the spiritual aspects of our faith combined with charitable acts is what being Catholic is all about. IOW, leave your Christianism behind! :thumbsup:

I don’t think I have ever seen a Catholic want to mandate everyone attend Mass every Sunday and HDO, confession and reception of the Holy Eucharist once a year, or implement any other portion or section of Canon Law into secular law. :shrug: What I have seen, is Catholics want secular law to reflect natural law, which happens to be part of God’s law.

So I have not seen a comparison to Sharia law and Islamists in Canon law and Catholic(ists).

Of course it helps that secular law has followed Christian ethics and juridic philosophy for some time. Including the government closing on major feasts, and the law generally following natural law and the 10 commandments. So many would like to keep it that way.

Well, that’s not exactly what I had in mind when starting this thread. I was referring more or less to Catholic Social Teaching in regards to economics, rights, politics, etc., and the level of emphasis placed on it by some. I guess I could have made myself more clear.

…but thanks for taking the time to post. I appreciate your feedback. :). By the way, I don’t think the government has ever followed all ten of the commandments.

I don’t know what the Protestants are up to, but there is a difference between what the Church teaches the case should be and what “Islamism” teaches should be (altho they don’t actually need a separate term as imposing the tenets if not the religion itself is an integral part of the Islamic teachings).

If Islam mandates that women wear a burka, the Moslems want that law to be imposed on all the women in the nation, whether they are Moslem or not. Moreover, the Moslems believe this should be the law even if Moslems are not the majority.

Catholicism wants laws in accord with natural law, but they do not want the nation to make a law that everyone must fulfill their Sunday obligation.

Islam has no sepration between Islam, law, and natural law. The Catholic Church teaches that there is a division between that which pertains to religion and that which pertains to the non-religious world.

Good point. The Catholic Church may have Social Teaching “principles”, but the Church offers no ‘choice’ on how to achieve those principles. Unlike Islamism with strict rules and political guidelines that actually spell it all out entirely. That’s a pretty big difference.

Therefore, there is no such thing as a “Catholicist”. No such thing as “Christianism”… There are only variations in how Catholics live out their faith.

…so, what about Judaism? Are they more like Catholics or Muslims? I hear people throw the term “Zionist” around, but from what I can understand, a Zionist is merely a Jew who wants the reconstruction of the temple… Not necessarily someone who wants to place religious laws over large areas of random peoples and cultures. Or is it?

My understanding of Zionist, was a Jew who believed in the restoration of Israel (not necessarily the temple). So that Jews should be able to immigrate freely to Israel and it should be their homeland. From Jews that live in the US, they seem to be more like Catholics and Christians, they only want to impose their specific laws on fellow Jews who agree to be bound. So their are special courts that do Jewish divorces and such. But they in no way want the general public to be bound by Jewish dietary laws, or other specific rules in general. I would say that Orthodox Judaism is even less active than Christians in secular laws, except when it comes to their freedom in practicing how they want.

I’m not sure if the media would use the term “catholicist” like they use the term “islamist”. The media use the term “islamist” to whitewash the crimes which are committed by muslims in the religion of peace daily across the globe, but the media doesn’t employ such a tactic when it comes to crimes done by Christians, even if the connection is spurious, and prefers to use the normal adjective “Christian”, as they did for Timothy McVeigh and Anders Brevik and numerous others (although comparatively miniscule compared to all the “islamist” crimes).

I think it plays out something like this:

Muslim - a person who worships God through the Islamic faith. May or may not want Sharia Law
Islamist - a Muslim who assists in helping Islamic (sharia) law to become public policy.
Terrorist or (Jihadist) - a militant Islamist who forces Islamic Law onto others.

In Catholicism there is only this:

Catholic - a person who worships God through the Catholic faith.
Catholicist - a person who uses Catholic Social Teaching in an attempt to influence public policy and others even though CST offers no choice on how to accomplish it. As a result, pop-politics which have no moral value, such as raising the minimum wage, serve to eliminate the Catholic moral teaching of conscience and prudential judgement.

A Catholicist could also include a Catholic who upholds old out of date political and/or economic Catholic Bulls and encynicals that were meant for a previous generation during a previous time.

A supporter of Rights to Life and the end of abortion would not be considered a Catholicist because abortion is always a true moral issue.

Islamist is a term coined to deal with a specific type of Islam that has a very strong presence in the world today. It was necessary to distinguish a current reality.

The case of the need to coin other terms, like Christianist, or Catholicist is nowhere near as compelling

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.