The "them and us" question

Talking a couple of Catholics has me a little confused as to their attitude in regards to
others not of the faith.Even others with a pretty non committal catholic faith.

Does God lump humans into a "them and us" category? The Catholics and then those other randoms that probably wont find the truth? I doubt it.

To me it is “we”.It has to be or we would distance ourselves from people who need our help
and give up on them.And perhaps build up an arrogance, putting good humility aside.

Jesus died for all of us. How can it be “them and us”?:shrug:

Am I wrong thinking while there is life there is hope?

:blush:I'm not the greatest at putting thoughts into words, so go easy on me ;)

"There is no them." :):):):slight_smile:

ICXC NIKA

Just to be clear first. By us you mean faithful Catholics, and them not faithful Catholics or even none Catholics? Am I correct?

I think there is pretty clear evidence that people lump people into the ‘us’ and ‘them’ category. Tribalism is built into our way of thinking. There is the in-group and the out-group. Whether it be by social, political, ethnic, cultural, or any other way we can identify someone as not like us. Or, I guess, like us.

‘Us’ is Catholics and ‘Them’ is non Catholics but it’s not designed to exclude anyone, since anyone is free to become Catholic and therefore become one of ‘us’.

I think it’s great that Pope Francis doesn’t appear to harbor an “us vs. them” mentality when it comes to Faith. He doesn’t seem to take a “Counter-Reformation” mindset of convert the “heretics”, so I think the Catholic Church has finally moved beyond that language.

The anti-“heretic” spirit of Trent is long deceased.

I believe, in my heart, that Francis is a Pope who abides by all biblical passages. I imagine Mark 9:38-39 would be on top of his list.

“Teacher,” said John, “we saw someone driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us.” “Do not stop him,” Jesus said. “For no one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me . . .”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.