The things you hear while on holidays!

Attended Mass at in a small parish this morning while travelling back home from son's wedding. Nice little wooden church in a small town with other churches that looked like it. Two plain stained glass windows in the sanctuary, flanking a large crucifix. Tabernacle plainly visible on side altar. Kneelers.

The organist was playing an electronic keyboard with canned accompaniment. It was Cape Breton so the presence of a violin wasn't surprising and the fiddler played beatifully.

The organist announced that all the songs were from "Glory & Praise" and that there was no music for us to follow for the Ordinary of the Mass. They use the Canadian setting by John Dawson. I noticed that some of the pews had the "Sunday Missal" by Novalis and the Canadian settings are in there but I guess she didn't know that. They obviously don't have enough money to spend on "Celebrate in Song".

It was the choice of "hymns" left me shaking my head.

The Opening Chant was "Sing to the Mountains", one of those irregular songs that drive me nuts but that in itself wasn't bad

Offertory Chant: "How Can I Keep From Singing" That was a new one for me and it was praise.

But the choice of Communion Hymn really threw me for a loop. "Precious Lord, Take My Hand" at Communion??

But the icing on the cake was the recessional. Go ahead, guess what we sang. Give up?

Boney M's "Rivers of Babylon", lyrics to which they have pasted in their G&P and which they sing to canned accompaniment -- oh, my, I just realized that it must be a Karaoke version. Agghhh!

Frightening ... :D
I once heard about a parish that played a Beatles song during the Mass.

Okay, I may be in the minority here, but I quite like the first three songs that you listed. If sung properly, I think that they have a special jollity to them. At least for me, those songs seem to joyfully praise God with their beautiful tunes, and really, isn't that what it's all about?

[quote="Phemie, post:1, topic:296570"]
Attended Mass at in a small parish this morning while travelling back home from son's wedding. Nice little wooden church in a small town with other churches that looked like it. Two plain stained glass windows in the sanctuary, flanking a large crucifix. Tabernacle plainly visible on side altar. Kneelers.

The organist was playing an electronic keyboard with canned accompaniment. It was Cape Breton so the presence of a violin wasn't surprising and the fiddler played beatifully.

The organist announced that all the songs were from "Glory & Praise" and that there was no music for us to follow for the Ordinary of the Mass. They use the Canadian setting by John Dawson. I noticed that some of the pews had the "Sunday Missal" by Novalis and the Canadian settings are in there but I guess she didn't know that. They obviously don't have enough money to spend on "Celebrate in Song".

It was the choice of "hymns" left me shaking my head.

The Opening Chant was "Sing to the Mountains", one of those irregular songs that drive me nuts but that in itself wasn't bad

Offertory Chant: "How Can I Keep From Singing" That was a new one for me and it was praise.

But the choice of Communion Hymn really threw me for a loop. "Precious Lord, Take My Hand" at Communion??

But the icing on the cake was the recessional. Go ahead, guess what we sang. Give up?

Boney M's "Rivers of Babylon", lyrics to which they have pasted in their G&P and which they sing to canned accompaniment -- oh, my, I just realized that it must be a Karaoke version. Agghhh!

[/quote]

I think you need to get out more.;) These songs, except possibly the last, are quite common, at least where I've been. Perhaps things are different in Canada?

The first two didn’t bother me, but “Precious Lord…” seemed totally inappropriate for Communion. I also have to admit that it’s the first time I’ve ever heard it in a Catholic church.

[quote="CatholicLife, post:2, topic:296570"]

[/quote]

I hate to say it, but that's happened at my parish. Our music generally varies between mediocre and pretty good, but a few times a year we have Youth Masses (generally for the students preparing for Confirmation) and they have a band. While most of the group's song choices aren't to my taste, the lyrics at least aren't objectionable. One week however they sang the Beatles' "Let It Be" :eek:
It only happened the one time, so I think Father might have had a word with them about it.

[quote="Phemie, post:5, topic:296570"]
The first two didn't bother me, but "Precious Lord..." seemed totally inappropriate for Communion. I also have to admit that it's the first time I've ever heard it in a Catholic church.

[/quote]

I can see your point about "Precious Lord" for communion. I feel that song is usually sung at funerals (at least around my area), not usually for Communion.

But I have heard the song quite a lot in my parish.

[quote="CatholicLife, post:2, topic:296570"]

[/quote]

Merriam-Webster
Folk Mass: a mass in which traditional liturgical music is replaced by folk music
first use 1966

It was Let It Be, McCartney, 1969, used at Folk Masses.

When I find myself in times of trouble
Mother Mary comes to me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be
And in my hour of darkness
She is standing right in front of me
Let it be, let it be
Let it be, let it be
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be

And when the broken hearted people
Living in the world agree
There will be an answer, let it be
For though they may be parted
There is still a chance that they will see
Let it be, let it be
Let it be, let it be
Yeah there will be an answer, let it be
Let it be, let it be
Let it be, let it be

Let it be, let it be
Ah let it be, yeah let it be
And when the night is cloudy
There is still a light that shines on me
Shine on until tomorrow, let it be
I wake up to the sound of music,
Mother Mary comes to me
Yeah let it be, let it be
Let it be, yeah let it be
Oh there will be an answer, let it be
Let it be, let it be
Let it be, let it be

Okay, I may be in the minority here, but I quite like the first three songs that you listed. If sung properly, I think that they have a special jollity to them. At least for me, those songs seem to joyfully praise God with their beautiful tunes, and really, isn't that what it's all about?

AltheCollegeGirl - you're not! I think it would have been a great Mass! "How Can I Keep from Singing" - Susan Bailey sings it beautifully. :)

I'm from Canada, and it's not a "Canadian thing". ;)

In my city alone, Masses are varied in style depending on the parish. At one parish alone (the beloved one where I received all my Sacraments, and recently got married at..) they have several masses: a Children's one in the early morning, a more traditional one late morning, and a folk Mass at night. The music style varies, but of course the Ordinary of the Mass is the same.

As long as the music you are singing is appropriate and approved by your pastor, I don't think we should get too bent out of shape about it. I love the more traditional hymns too (I cringe when I hear the Gather book version of "Faith of our Fathers"...ugh!!), but I also see nothing wrong with singing songs like "Everybody Get Together" by the Youngbloods or "Man from Galilee" at a folk mass. Bear in mind that the classical composers we love were the "pop musicians" of their time! As long as it's relateable, I don't see the issue.

I'd have a problem if it was irreverent and crude, but I have yet to see that.

[quote="CB_Catholic, post:4, topic:296570"]
I think you need to get out more.;) These songs, except possibly the last, are quite common, at least where I've been. Perhaps things are different in Canada?

[/quote]

Maybe Swing Low Sweet Chariot would have been a better ending? I'm kidding the music people are obviously not experienced in what to choose. At our parish I love the music but they sing the exact same communion hymn every week for well over a year. I try to look on the bright side, at least I no longer have to look at the words.

[quote="Vico, post:8, topic:296570"]
Merriam-Webster
Folk Mass: a mass in which traditional liturgical music is replaced by folk music
first use 1966

It was Let It Be, McCartney, 1969, used at Folk Masses.

When I find myself in times of trouble
Mother Mary comes to me
And in my hour of darkness
She is standing right in front of me
Let it be, let it be
Let it be, let it be

And when the broken hearted people
Living in the world agree
For though they may be parted
There is still a chance that they will see
Let it be, let it be
Let it be, let it be
Yeah there will be an answer, let it be
Let it be, let it be
Let it be, let it be

Let it be, let it be
And when the night is cloudy
There is still a light that shines on me
Shine on until tomorrow, let it be
I wake up to the sound of music,
Mother Mary comes to me
Yeah let it be, let it be
Let it be, let it be
Let it be, let it be

[/quote]

Beautiful words but that song doesn't belong in Mass. I also think many other songs are pretty but they aren't for Mass. But when it comes to weird folksy masses I'll pass.

Yeah, I live in Nova Scotia. It's not a Canadian thing, or even a Maritime thing. It's a "that parish" thing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.