The Third Luminous Mystery

When I pray The Rosary I usually meditate on the main event spelled out in whatever Mystery I am praying and the significance of the event. I have a very hard time with The Proclamation of the Kingdom because I can’t seem to visualize a main event. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Perhaps these Biblical sub-meditations from rosary-center.org/luminous.htm will help:[LIST=1]
*]Repent, for the kingdom of God is at hand.
*]My kingdom is not of this world.
*]Unless a man be born again of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of heaven.
*]Whoever does not accept the kingdom of God as a little child will not enter into it.
*]I have come to call sinners, not the just.
*]Love your enemies, pray for those who persecute you.
*]Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
*]Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for justice, for they shall be satisfied.
*]Blessed are they who suffer persecution for justice’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
*]You are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church… I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven.[/LIST]

HI Holland,

I have four possible ideas from four different Rosary sources.
1.) Jesus teaching in the synagogues about the Kingdom - Mark 4:23- from PRAYING THE ROSARY booklet- Regina Press

2.) Sower sowing seeds.- Mt 13:24- from THE 20 MYSTERIES OF THE ROSARY tri-fold card- PrayCard Publications

3.) Jesus sitting down somewhere. Example: Sermon on the Mount.
from THE ROSARY- Barton- Cotton, Inc.

4.) Jesus standing up talking to people. From MY DAILY ROSARY small pocket-sized folder- Barton-Cotton, Inc.
I hoped that helped a little.

Patrick

The first thing I think of is the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew chapters 5-7).

Here is an article that relates the Luminous Mysteries to the Seven Sacraments:
catholicplanet.com/articles/article57.htm

I used to have a hard time with this mystery, too. But since the Luminous mysteries are connected to the institution of the sacraments, I try to think of all the repentant sinners in the Bible.

I think of Mary Magdalene washing Jesus’s feet with her tears and drying them with her hair.

I think about the man at the back of the temple who wouldn’t even raise his eyes to heaven and beat his breast and asked the Lord to have mercy on him while the rest of people in the temple thanked God they were not like the sinful man.

I think about the tax collector who promised to pay back what he had stole.

I think about the soldier who told Jesus that he was a sinful man and was not worthy to have Jesus enter under his roof.

When I say the rosary, I try to link certain mysteries to other mysteries–I always think of Jesus breathing on the apostles after the Resurrection & telling them whose sins you forgive are forgiven.

I began to understand the Third Luminous Mystery when I got about 1/4 way into the book:
Jesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict XVI
ISBN: 978-0-385-52341-7

For me, this book started out being very difficult to read. Then I brought it with me to Eucharistic Adoration one night. I am not kidding. As I sat before Our Lord, the book became easier and I could read more than four pages at a time. After that, I was reading it at home, in the car (as a passenger) and learning quite a bit which turned out to help my own spiritual life.

Perhaps I just got use to the Pope’s style of language. He does have a very good writing style once one gets into it. On the other hand, my heart knows that when I was at Eucharistic Adoration that night, Jesus leaned over and whispered in my ear that I should be patient–understanding would come.

Blessings,
grannymh

I always felt that the Rosary was whole and complete. But when the Luminous mysteries were introduced, it deepened my devotion.

It has been my practice to meditate on the daily Mass readings every morning before leaving for work.

With the Luminous Mysteries, I am able to incorporate the meditation from the day’s Gospel reading into the third decade, the Proclamation of the Kingdom. It’s like seeing that part of the life of Christ anew through the eyes of Mary. The best part is, every Thursday, the Gospel offers a ‘new’ meditation for this decade.

Hope this helps,

Joe

I became a Catholic in 1992 and have been praying the Rosary since then. It always struck me as odd that the Rosary excluded the public ministry of Jesus so it made perfect sense to me when Pope John Paul II added the Luminous Mysteries. The Rosary was made complete.

Thanks everyone! After reading all the replies I can see I was making this way to hard.

Hi Holland,

You’re welcome. Glad to have helped in a small way.:tada:

PatrickJT914

Perhaps you can meditate on Mark 1:14-15? That short statement by Jesus pretty much sums His whole ministry in a few words:

And after John was taken into custody, Jesus went into Galilee and proclaimed the gospel of the kingdom of God, and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand! Repent, and believe in the gospel.

all the info is really helpful

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.