THE THOUSAND YEAR REIGN (era of peace)

(Rev 20:1-6) talks about a 1000 year period of peace on Earth after the antichrist is defeated and before the second coming.

Here is an artcle by a Canadian catholic evangelist:
markmallett.com/blog/?p=389

My question is if this is really compatible with the Catholic teaching. The authors claims it is. He claims that this is also what the Fatima predicts.

quote="lee01238, post:1, topic:192485" talks about a 1000 year period of peace on Earth after the Antichrist is defeated and before the second coming.

Here is an article by a Canadian catholic evangelist:

My question is if this is really compatible with the Catholic teaching. The authors claims it is. He claims that this is also what the Fatima predicts.

[/quote]

**I usually try to stay away from speculation and particularly heresy condemned by several Church Fathers as "millenarianism." Much that I have read about End Times speculation concerning the 1000 year reference to this or that is mostly conjecture. Surely we have to conclude that any reference made about God's time frame has nothing to do with the concept as humans understand time itself. Personally I prefer this commentary on APOCALYPSE - Chapter 20 haydock1859.tripod.com/id306.html
and here in the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

The glorious advent of Christ, the hope of Israel

673 Since the Ascension Christ's coming in glory has been imminent,566 even though "it is not for you to know times or seasons which the Father has fixed by his own authority."567. This eschatological coming could be accomplished at any moment, even if both it and the final trial that will precede it are "delayed".568

674 The glorious Messiah's coming is suspended at every moment of history until his recognition by "all Israel", for "a hardening has come upon part of Israel" in their "unbelief" toward Jesus.569 St. Peter says to the Jews of Jerusalem after Pentecost: "Repent therefore, and turn again, that your sins may be blotted out, that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord, and that he may send the Christ appointed for you, Jesus, whom heaven must receive until the time for establishing all that God spoke by the mouth of his holy prophets from of old."570 St. Paul echoes him: "For if their rejection means the reconciliation of the world, what will their acceptance mean but life from the dead?"571 The "full inclusion" of the Jews in the Messiah's salvation, in the wake of "the full number of the Gentiles",572 will enable the People of God to achieve "the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ", in which "God may be all in all".573

The Church's ultimate trial

675 Before Christ's second coming the Church must pass through a final trial that will shake the faith of many believers.574 The persecution that accompanies her pilgrimage on earth575 will unveil the "mystery of iniquity" in the form of a religious deception offering men an apparent solution to their problems at the price of apostasy from the truth. The supreme religious deception is that of the Antichrist, a pseudo-messianism by which man glorifies himself in place of God and of his Messiah come in the flesh.576

676 The Antichrist's deception already begins to take shape in the world every time the claim is made to realize within history that messianic hope which can only be realized beyond history through the eschatological judgment. The Church has rejected even modified forms of this falsification of the kingdom to come under the name of millenarianism,577 especially the "intrinsically perverse" political form of a secular messianism.578

677 The Church will enter the glory of the kingdom only through this final Passover, when she will follow her Lord in his death and Resurrection.579 The kingdom will be fulfilled, then, not by a historic triumph of the Church through a progressive ascendancy, but only by God's victory over the final unleashing of evil, which will cause his Bride to come down from heaven.580 God's triumph over the revolt of evil will take the form of the Last Judgment after the final cosmic upheaval of this passing world.581

• II. TO JUDGE THE LIVING AND THE DEAD **

quote="lee01238, post:1, topic:192485" talks about a 1000 year period of peace on Earth after the antichrist is defeated and before the second coming.

[/quote]

I was just thinking about this today because I'm researching Fatima, and this is something my High School Theology teacher had talked about way back when. He had an ongoing correspondence with PJPII spanning several years, so I definitely trusted his instruction.

Anyway, an additional example of this subject matter is found within "The Apostolate of Holy Motherhood", a collection of private revelations (approved - nihil obstat/imprimatur) from the 80's in which Mary states, among other things, that the coming Triumph of her Immaculate Heart will give way to the Age of Christ's Sacred Heart, and there will be a period of Peace. There was no specific length of time attached to that. Had I not just returned the book to the library today, I would site specific passages and pages. I can't find any web-links at the moment (maybe someone else can).

So that said, to answer your question, I would say yes - it is compatible, but at the same time keeping in mind that we're not REQUIRED to believe such private revelations like the example above, and Fátama - we're encouraged to believe.

quote="lee01238, post:1, topic:192485" talks about a 1000 year period of peace on Earth after the antichrist is defeated and before the second coming.

[/quote]

I don't think there will ever be a "period of peace on Earth" this is just speculation and possibly heresy. We will live in heaven with the Lord.

Maybe the church will work through human governments to make things like pollution and war better but not peace all over the earth. That is my understanding.

There is no declaration from the Church that says that there will be a period of peace on Earth.

Hope that helps,
Cashue

[quote="Cashue, post:4, topic:192485"]
I don't think there will ever be a "period of peace on Earth" this is just speculation and possibly heresy. We will live in heaven with the Lord.

[/quote]

How would you know whether or not this is heresy?

[quote="Cashue, post:4, topic:192485"]
Cashue

[/quote]

Then what did Fatima mean by saying " At the end My Immaculate heart will triumph and a period of peace will be granted to mankind"

This to me clearly speaks of a peacefull time here on earth.

Obviously the Church isn’t able to ‘declare’ it in an official manner, but they do officially accept the Book of Revelation, Fatima, etc. which we’re encouraged to heed and have Faith (key word) in, and the message is consistent.

E.-A.

Isaiah 65:17-25 also talks about an era of peace. It clearly talks about people having children, building houses, planting vineyards, etc.. This is not talking about Heaven.

17 For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.
18 But be ye glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create: for, behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy.
19 And I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and joy in my people: and the voice of weeping shall be no more heard in her, nor the voice of crying.
20 There shall be no more thence an infant of days, nor an old man that hath not filled his days: for the child shall die an hundred years old; but the sinner being an hundred years old shall be accursed.
21 And they shall build houses, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and eat the fruit of them.
22 They shall not build, and another inhabit; they shall not plant, and another eat: for as the days of a tree are the days of my people, and mine elect shall long enjoy the work of their hands.
23 They shall not labour in vain, nor bring forth for trouble; for they are the seed of the blessed of the LORD, and their offspring with them.
24 And it shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear.
25 The wolf and the lamb shall feed together, and the lion shall eat straw like the bullock: and dust shall be the serpent's meat. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain, saith the LORD.

[quote="lee01238, post:8, topic:192485"]
Isaiah 65:17-25 also talks about an era of peace. It clearly talks about people having children, building houses, planting vineyards, etc.. This is not talking about Heaven.

[/quote]

Revelation 20 does speak of a 1000 year reign... and Isaiah goes into more detail...

vs. 2 - Satan is bound for 1000 years.
vs. 3 - Satan is sealed up and cannot deceive the nations during the 1000 years.
vs. 4 - The martyrs are resurrected to reign with Christ for 1000 years.
vs. 5 - The rest of the dead will be raised at the end of the 1000 years.
vs. 6 - Those in the first resurrection will reign with Jesus for 1000 years.
vs. 7 - Satan will be released at the end of the 1000 years.
vs. 8 - Satan deceives and gathers a great number of people for the final battle.
vs. 9 - Satan and this host surround God's City. Fire comes down and devours them.
vs. 10 - Satan, the Beast, and the False Prophet are thrown into the lake of fire.
vs. 11-13 - All the resurrected lost are judged.
vs. 14 - Death and Hell [Hades-Grave] are cast into the lake of fire, which is the second death.
vs. 15 - All the resurrected lost are cast into the lake of fire.

Revelation 20
1 Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven, holding the key of the abyss and a great chain in his hand.
2 And he laid hold of the dragon, the serpent of old, who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years;
3 and he threw him into the abyss, and shut it and sealed it over him, so that he would not deceive the nations any longer, until the thousand years were completed; after these things he must be released for a short time.
4 Then I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was given to them And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony of Jesus and because of the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received the mark on their forehead and on their hand; and they came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.
5 The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were completed. This is the first resurrection.
6 Blessed and holy is the one who has a part in the first resurrection; over these the second death has no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with Him for a thousand years.
7 When the thousand years are completed, Satan will be released from his prison,
8 and will come out to deceive the nations which are in the four corners of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together for the war; the number of them is like the sand of the seashore.
9 And they came up on the broad plain of the earth and surrounded the camp of the saints and the beloved city, and fire came down from heaven and devoured them.
10 And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are also; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
11 Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat upon it, from whose presence earth and heaven fled away, and no place was found for them.
12 And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne, and books were opened; and another book was opened, which is the book of life; and the dead were judged from the things which were written in the books, according to their deeds.
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead which were in them; and they were judged, every one of them according to their deeds.
14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.
15 And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

What the speaker in question is advocating (I read the post you linked) is not a literal 1000 year reign of Christ on earth. That would be a clear heresy that the Church has condemned this in no uncertain terms. Thus as Catholics, we are not free to hold this view.

There are a couple of important official statements that have been issued by the Church regarding this that are pertinent in that they affirm that the Church will, before the Second Coming, go through a final trial (i.e, no secret escape of believers via “rapture”), and at the same time rejects any form of “millenarianism that either propose a so-called “1000 year reign” of Christ on earth. One is the Catechism sections provided by a previous poster. The second is the *Decree of the Holy Office *dated July 21, 1944:

"In recent times on several occasions, this Supreme Sacred Congregation of the Holy Office has been asked what must be thought of the system of mitigated Millenarianism, which teaches, for example, that Christ the Lord before the final judgment, whether or not preceded by the resurrection of the many just, will come visibly to rule over this world. *"The answer is: The system of mitigated Millenarianism cannot be taught safely." *

While the writer you linked does not seem to hold to this particular heresy, he does seem to be among the camp of Catholics that are caught up in trying to do with private revelations what much what fundamentalists try do with the Bible; that is try to tie in events in the news with various "prophecies." Both of these are highly subjective at best, and a waste of time and damaging to the faith at worst.

One has to be very wary when it comes to how much stock to place in private revelation. First of all, it is not to be placed on par with public revelation, which is definitively interpreted and taught by the Church and is binding on all the faithful. Private revelation is binding only on the person who recieves it. Additionally, the recipient can never be sure he or she is interpreting it properly themselves, or even if they are reporting it accurately. When writings containing private revelation are given an imprimatur or nihil obstat *it does not mean that the one granting it agrees with everything in the work; only that there is nothing damaging to faith or morals (i.e. heretical or inciting lust). You may find this article from *Catholic Answers "This Rock" magazine helpful:

Revelations, Public and Private

Hope this helps. :)

[quote="Fidelis, post:10, topic:192485"]
What the speaker in question is advocating (I read the post you linked) is not a literal 1000 year reign of Christ on earth. That would be a clear heresy that the Church has condemned this in no uncertain terms. Thus as Catholics, we are not free to hold this view.

[/quote]

I agree, the author of the above article makes it clear that Christ will not be on earth visibly during the era of peace. However the idea of a 1000 year era of peace before the Second coming is clearly biblical and foretold in Fatima.

[quote="Fidelis, post:10, topic:192485"]

[/quote]

If the Church has used the verbiage "cannot be taught safely" in its Catechism, that doesn't exactly support your contention that it's been "condemned in no uncertain terms".

[quote="VitaminC, post:12, topic:192485"]
If the Church has used the verbiage "cannot be taught safely" in its Catechism, that doesn't exactly support your contention that it's been "condemned in no uncertain terms".

[/quote]

I disagree. If something cannot even be be taught safely, by any reasonable measure, that's clear condemnatory language regarding the theology in question.

If we say that it cannot be taught safely to learn how to blow yourself up, is that mean it's OK to go blow ourselves up on our own? I think not. :)

It is unsafe to teach mitigated millenarianism it because it is unsafe to believe it.

[quote="lee01238, post:11, topic:192485"]
I agree, the author of the above article makes it clear that Christ will not be on earth visibly during the era of peace. However the idea of a 1000 year era of peace before the Second coming is clearly biblical and foretold in Fatima.

[/quote]

The Church has consistently interpreted the 1000 year reign of peace mentioned in the Book of Revelation as the current age of the Church, the peace being that between God and man brought about by Christ's redeeming sacrifice on the Cross.

Perhaps there will be a period of peace after a period of chastisment as was prophesised at Fatima. But to apply Revelation 20 to the period of peace prophesied in Fatima (or to any private revelation) is to misinterpret the Scriptures. The author of above article errs in this regard.

[quote="Fidelis, post:14, topic:192485"]
The Church has consistently interpreted the 1000 year reign of peace mentioned in the Book of Revelation as the current age of the Church, the peace being that between God and man brought about by Christ's redeeming sacrifice on the Cross.

Perhaps there will be a period of peace after a period of chastisment as was prophesised at Fatima. But to apply Revelation 20 to the period of peace prophesied in Fatima (or to any private revelation) is to misinterpret the Scriptures. The author of above article errs in this regard.

[/quote]

What about this:

St. Augustin:
Those who, on the strength of this passage [of Revelation 20:1-6], have suspected that the first resurrection is future and bodily, have been moved, among other things, specially by the number of a thousand years, as if it were a fit thing that the saints should thus enjoy a kind of Sabbath-rest during that period, a holy leisure after the labors of six thousand years since man was created… (and) there should follow on the completion of six thousand years, as of six days, a kind of seventh-day Sabbath in the succeeding thousand years; and that it is for this purpose the saints rise, viz.; to celebrate the Sabbath. And this opinion would not be objectionable, if it were believed that the joys of the saints in that Sabbath shall be spiritual, and consequent on the presence of God… —De Civitate Dei [The City of God], Catholic University of America Press, Bk XX, Ch. 7

If before that final end there is to be a period, more or less prolonged, of triumphant sanctity, such a result will be brought about not by the apparition of the person of Christ in Majesty but by the operation of those powers of sanctification which are now at work, the Holy Ghost and the Sacraments of the Church. —The Teaching of the Catholic Church: A Summary of Catholic Doctrine (London:Burns Oates & Washbourne), p. 1140

This is our great hope and our invocation, ‘Your Kingdom come!’—a Kingdom of peace, justice and serenity, which will re-establish the original harmony of creation. —POPE JOHN PAUL II, General Audience, November 6th, 2002, Zenit

…when His Son will come and destroy the time of the lawless one and judge the godless, and change the sun and the moon and the stars—then He shall indeed rest on the seventh day… after giving rest to all things, I will make the beginning of the eighth day, that is, the beginning of another world. —Letter of Barnabas (70-79 A.D.), written by a second century Apostolic Father

Therefore, the Son of the most high and mighty God… shall have destroyed unrighteousness, and executed His great judgment, and shall have recalled to life the righteous, who… will be engaged among men a thousand years, and will rule them with most just command… Also the prince of devils, who is the contriver of all evils, shall be bound with chains, and shall be imprisoned during the thousand years of the heavenly rule… Before the end of the thousand years the devil shall be loosed afresh and shall assemble all the pagan nations to make war against the holy city… "Then the last anger of God shall come upon the nations, and shall utterly destroy them" and the world shall go down in a great conflagration. —4th century Ecclesiastical writer, Lactantius, "The Divine Institutes", The ante-Nicene Fathers, Vol 7, p. 211

[quote="lee01238, post:1, topic:192485"]
(

[/quote]

I've read about Fatima umpteen times, and I never read about the 1000 year reign, can those that say it supply you with the relevant info linking this to Fatima ? the CCC rejects millenarianism, the 1000 year reign.

At Fatima it says " a period of peace " but that peace is conditional, it never mentions 1000 years.

[quote="hawkeye, post:16, topic:192485"]
the CCC rejects millenarianism, the 1000 year reign.

[/quote]

Yes, but only the idea that Christ will come back and reign on earth physically. Ther idea of an era of peace (or "period of peace" as Fatima puts it) is not rejected. Of course a 1000years doesn't need to be taken literally,it can.mean a prolonged period which can last less (or more) then 1000 years.

To me the interpretation which equates the 1000 years reign with the current age of the Church since the resurrection of the Lord Jesus seems totally wrong.for many reasons.

For one, the devil is clearly free to tempt the nations. That doesn't fit the Revelation 20-3 which clearly says that "Satan is sealed up and cannot deceive the nations during the 1000 years"

What about them?? None of these quotes equate the 1000 year reign in Revelation 20:9 with a literal 1000 year period of peace on earth. The quote by JPII is especially non-applicable, but none of the quotes can be interpreted in this way unless one has a severe predisposition to do so.

The attemped quote by Augustine is especially ironic since he is very much recognized as one of the earliest and most influential Church Fathers to put to rest the notion that there will be a literal 1000 year reign and that Revelation 20:9 should be interpreted spiritually. For this reason he is public enemy number one with hard core fundamentalists, most of whom are also dispensationalists.

[quote="lee01238, post:17, topic:192485"]

For one, the devil is clearly free to tempt the nations. That doesn't fit the Revelation 20-3 which clearly says that "Satan is sealed up and cannot deceive the nations during the 1000 years"

[/quote]

You aren't wrong there, he certainly hasn't been sealed up, he's burning the midnight oil, and keeping himself nice and warm, wondering what tha HELL next to throw at us.

[quote="lee01238, post:17, topic:192485"]
Yes, but only the idea that Christ will come back and reign on earth physically. Ther idea of an era of peace (or "period of peace" as Fatima puts it) is not rejected. Of course a 1000years doesn't need to be taken literally,it can.mean a prolonged period which can last less (or more) then 1000 years.

[/quote]

The Church doesn't reject it or accept it. It is private revelation and not part of Church teaching.

To me the interpretation which equates the 1000 years reign with the current age of the Church since the resurrection of the Lord Jesus seems totally wrong.for many reasons.

Yes, this is a familiar argument by Protestant dispensationalists, in their case because they wish to deny the reality of the Church. The fact is, the devil was unrestrained before Christ came and established his kingdom; he is restrained (though still active) at this time; he has no power over us unless we give it to him because of our new life of grace in Christ. It will be at the end of time when he is unleashed (Revelation 19:7), then the tribulation and the Second Coming will occur.

Christ his followers: the Kingdom of God is among you. To deny that Christ reigns over his Kingdom now (albiet in an invisible and not yet complete way) is to fall into the errors of the dispensationalists. I highly recommend you read the Catechism sections on the Church, found here.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.