The three bars icon is wonky

I’m on an android phone while writing this.

Usually I use the three bars symbol next to the picture of my avatar to navigate around the forum. But right now it seems it’s only displaying 8 of the categories as opposed to all of them, which makes navigation a little more cumbersome as I have to go to the category list and scroll.

Anyone else having this issue?

It’s doing that for me too, and I’m on my laptop. I preferred it when all of the categories were shown.

What theme are you using? I’m using the Dark theme. And I also noticed I can’t switch to another theme.

I’m using dark too. And I just tried to change theme but it didn’t work. :thinking:

Could anyone using a different theme be able to weigh in on a couple things?

1. Does the three bars work as normal?
  2. Can you change theme?

I normally use the CA Theme but I’m now stuck on Dark.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes
  2. No

Do you have all categories showing under the three bars? I can see eight, but then I need to click categories to see them all.

Edit - never mind. I wonder why it’s happening!

No, I only have eight categories, like you.

Additional info: all these anomalies appear on my Windows 8.1 laptop, my Android 8 smartphone and my Android 7 tablet…in both Chrome and Firefox.

I would guess they wanted to reduce the amount of info there and that the category change is deliberate.

Possibly. I would like it if I could change them around though, because some forums/subfora I never go into.

I have Catholic Living, Prayer Intentions, In the News, Casual Discussion, Apologetics, Spirituality, World News and Philosophy. I wonder if others’ are different or if we all have the same?

I have different categories, which doesn’t surprise me since your list includes fora I’ve muted.

On the other hand, I was able to get my preferred theme back by adjusting it in my account preferences. The links on the hamburger menu still don’t work for me.

I think it’s a new feature, not a bug. I’m on a PC right now with the CAF theme. It only displays 8 categories, but immediately above those 8 it says “Categories (17 more)…” and I can click on that.

Clicking on that takes me to the main categories page.

I have to say, I do not like this change. Clicking on the hamburger icon to go to a specific category was how I have been navigating the forum since the change. Making me go to the categories page is just introducing an extra step into the process. Perhaps they didn’t like the way it functioned on smaller mobile screens.

It worked fine on a phone screen so far as I’ve been able to tell.

I was just wondering if having all the categories listed made the popup box too big on some phones. That’s the only reason I can think for why they would cut it back to 8.

Mine are different than yours also. Interesting.

Mine have changed around since I posted. They did use to move around in their order.

I have Apologetics, Catholic Living, Moral Theology, In the News, World News, Liturgy and Sacraments, Social Justice, and The Lounge

If it’s based on how often we visit, it would be odd as I visit Philosophy more than Social Justice. And In the News has really only ever been a misclick.

Same with the order change. (And I’ve noticed order changes before when all were shown.)

Right now mine says Apologetics, Moral Theology, Liturgy & Sacraments, Traditional Catholicism, Catholic Living, Spirituality, Casual, and Sacred Scripture.

Maybe it has to do with frequency of posting in each forum?

I’ve got Catholic Living, Apologetics, In the News, Liturgy and Sacraments, Prayer Intentions, Spirituality, World News and Vocations. I don’t know if it is related to my personal usage - being Agnostic, I don’t venture into Prayer Intentions at all. Possibly it’s to do with overall use at a certain time.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.