The Three Musketeers

Has anyone else read this book?

It is kinda exciting at parts, and I will finish it (60% finished). However, I have a problem with this book. The characters are basically just nasty people. Their moral system is twisted to say the least (honor means murdering someone over some flippant affront in a duel? Porthos picks up married women at Mass! Thievery by the 4 is rampant) and the whole point of the plot so far seems to be to cover up an extramarital affair.

Of course, it might all come around in the end, and it might end up being some kind of moral warning rather than just glorifying sin, but maybe not!?

Anyway, what do you guys think of this book?

I must admit that I enjoyed the book, and its sequels. However, I agree with your analysis of their morals.

I later found out that it was on the Index of Forbidden Books.

I’ve read The Three Musketeers, Twenty Years after, and The Vicomte de Bragelonne so far and loved them all. From a purely literary standpoint they are utterly superb.

I do see your point about the morality. It’s a reflection of the times. There are some good points though too. The books paint Catholicism in a positive light (see my sig), and particularly in the later books there are some splendid examples of loyalty and honor mostly on the part of Athos and his son.

I’d suggest sticking with it. :slight_smile:

I havent read the book so dont know much about it, I did see the movie a while ago, but can`t remember much about it. What makes me laugh is here in Montréal is when someone sports a goatée people call him D’Artagnan. I find it hilarious.

That’s how people were back then. Duels over honor were quite common and lots of people were licentious (Dumas was notorious).

Its an adventure story, but the morals are a bit loose. Still, its a good tale of bravery, and loyalty.

When Dumas wrote The Three Musketeers, dueling was still permitted in New Orleans so while there might not be swordplay in the streets, duels were fought at “the dueling oaks”. Dumas was very much a product of his times.

I have read this book several times since I was in high school.

It was considered okay to have affairs? :eek:

No wonder why they used to call the clap the “French disease”.

I don’t know if it was all right to have affairs but Dumas was writing what he considered a male adventure story, sort of like James Bond today.:shrug:

Its a great book and I, also, read it several times. I have to admit, Dumas wrote one of the best female villains of all time.

I don’t believe HMC would say it was OK but it was part of the culture at the time. Here In French Louisiana it was not uncommon for a man to have a wife and family and then to have a “second family” (as it were) and to provide for both. I know. I have a copy of my great-great grandfather’s will in which he provides for both families. Shocking and sobering at the same time. Dumas is merely reflecting his times.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.