The Tower of Babel: Dose it explain all the arguing and disagreements in the world?

It amazes me how the world grew at such an astounding rate over the past 150 years when all we do is argue and disagree, There's got to be a higher intelligence that guides and controls us.

This is a very philosophical question. Since my childhood, I have been convinced that Christianity is not only the best, but really the only way that all people can live together -- if they all were Christian.

[quote="sirach2v4, post:2, topic:322239"]
This is a very philosophical question. Since my childhood, I have been convinced that Christianity is not only the best, but really the only way that all people can live together -- if they all were Christian.

[/quote]

Christianity teaches love for all so I see and agree with what you say :) Though homogeneity isn't always the answer for co-existence.

This explains it to me...Romans 1: 18-32...the passage speaks of the flesh...but God's modus operandi...in this can be applied to any grievous sinfulness by mankind/cultures/nations...IMHO.

It shows "...how God plays the hand we dea*l to Him..." with our free will choices...singularly and collectively. The Good news...He is always *dealing from the perspective of His Divine Economy of Salvation Plan...His Divine will...always in love and for our greater good. The Bad news...the unjust will suffer greatly...but so will the just...His sun shines on the good and the bad...and his wrath envelops the bad and the good.

Romans 1:18-32
Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSV-CE)

The Guilt of Mankind

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and wickedness of men who by their wickedness suppress the truth. 19 For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. 20 Ever since the creation of the world his invisible nature, namely, his eternal power and deity, has been clearly perceived in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse; 21 for although they knew God they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking and their senseless minds were darkened. 22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools, 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man or birds or animals or reptiles.

24 Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, 25 because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed for ever! Amen.

26 For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. Their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural, 27 and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in their own persons the due penalty for their error.

28 And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a base mind and to improper conduct. 29 They were filled with all manner of wickedness, evil, covetousness, malice. Full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malignity, they are gossips, 30 slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, 31 foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 32 Though they know God’s decree that those who do such things deserve to die, they not only do them but approve those who practice them.

If we just used our simple common sense: when you find yourself in a hole...the first order of business is to stop digging...but just look at the hole we are in as a culture/nation...and what do we do...we keep digging at a fiendish and deadly pace. The only thing that will change this is not practicing our faith and prayers...but holiness and sainthood by each and everyone of the faithful...so since I am not holy or a saint...I have to take a share of the responsibility for the mess we are in.

Pax Christi

Our nature of putting our own interests first, is the main reason for our disharmony. Not speaking the same tongue did magnify the problem. However the main gist of that bible passage was that we had become egomaniacs we were striving to become Equal with God. It was a no win situation as far as I see it.

[quote="Lughi, post:5, topic:322239"]
Our nature of putting our own interests first, is the main reason for our disharmony. Not speaking the same tongue did magnify the problem. However the main gist of that bible passage was that we had become egomaniacs we were striving to become Equal with God. It was a no win situation as far as I see it.

[/quote]

This is a good post.

All argument & disagreement come from the sin of Adam. We can already see the scurrilous contradiction when man knew his nakedness: he blamed Eve, who blamed the serpent. There was disagreeableness and argument in Cain's soul when he took up the stone to slay his brother Abel. All sin and hatred is a result of the Fall; Babel was just another sad manifestation of its effects.

But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ - whose Spirit came here at Pentecost to resolve the confusion.. :)

For Christians, the Tower of Babel was repealed at Pentacost when all were able to hear the Gospel in their own native tounge.

-Tim-

The Tower of Babel is an allegory about Man's Pride and about the end of the creation stage of civilization-building. Man, when unified, of one mind, builds great empires that thrust buildings into heaven. Think of Rome during Jesus' time; Babylon before; the Assyrian empire; Egyptian empire...and of course the current American empire.

To punish man for his pride, God not only confuses the tongues of the world, so they can no longer communicate with each other and he sets the tower on fire with lightning. Plato wrote about the orignal Whole (or Round) Man who alienated Zeus/Jupiter for the same reason and Jupiter punished man by striking him with lighting (Jupiter's weapon of choice) and dividing his nature in two, so he was no longer of one mind, and was divided against himself.

Think of 911 as the Tower of Babel in America's experience of pride, civilization building, and empire.

The poster below is correct about the connection with the Tower of Babal and Pentecost. The Babel experience is the fission of the unit into a duality, an opposite -- different tongues and languages; and Pentecost is the opposite fusion of the duality back into the unity -- that is the Father-Son division into the Father-Son unity, as the Son becomes the Father -- metaphorically, the Tower of Babel is the fission of the Father and Son.

The Holy Spirit is connected with the Divine Fire of Babe and Pentecost -- and the Holy Spirit is the Mother, the Female Energy, Shakti, Kundalini, or Mary.

[quote="Lughi, post:5, topic:322239"]

[/quote]

Very well said. Ego, staying on top, being "Number One", is cleary a problem. The Tower of Babel is the story of God wounding or even killing the Ego. When the Ego dies, the man gets small, and, if he can get small enough, he can fit through the eye of the needle, and be initiated into God's presence.

The Mind is separative, isolated, competitive. The Soul, the Heart, through Love, is attractive, draws all the elements together.

The Greeks had an interesting view. They said Love was the Female Principle or Mother who, through force of attraction, drew all the elements of the world together, creating Chaos. They said Will, or Hate, the Male Principle or Father, through the force of Will as Repulsion, separated all the elements into the hierarchy of the formal world, and thereby created Cosmos.

The Mother is Chaos, the Ocean, the Night, that created all the forms of the Day world.

In a political sense, the Earth is currently descending into Chaos, from which a new world will be born.

At one point the human brain was divided into the left hemisphere and the right, the masculine and feminine hemispheres, respectively...

The tower of Babel was the unity of man without the Holy Spirit.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.