The Trail of Blood

Please give me all the information you can on the trail of blood theory. I am in a discussion with a calvinist who claims his roots to the anabaptists. He mentions a pope apologizing for the Catholic Church killing 50 million anabaptists. I would like to thoroughly debunk this guys theories. I thought there were some threads on here about the trail of blood but I did a search and found nothing.

Well, right off the bat, you can tell you Calvinist friend that there weren’t even 50 million people in the whole of Europe at the time the anabaptists came on the scene. It would be a great trick indeed for the Church to have murdered more people than were alive at the time. Doncha think? :rolleyes:

[quote=Della]Well, right off the bat, you can tell you Calvinist friend that there weren’t even 50 million people in the whole of Europe at the time the anabaptists came on the scene. It would be a great trick indeed for the Church to have murdered more people than were alive at the time. Doncha think? :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I think his claim is that they were in existence before the reformation.

[quote=jimmy]I think his claim is that they were in existence before the reformation.
[/quote]

Ask him for a breakdown by century and country. One shouldn’t be allowed to toss around such numbers without showing their proof.

I would begin by asking him for his exact sources and the non-secular references for his sources.

[quote=jimmy]Please give me all the information you can on the trail of blood theory. I am in a discussion with a calvinist who claims his roots to the anabaptists. He mentions a pope apologizing for the Catholic Church killing 50 million anabaptists. I would like to thoroughly debunk this guys theories. I thought there were some threads on here about the trail of blood but I did a search and found nothing.
[/quote]

The “Trail of Blood” is a book/chart published by the “Landmark Baptists” – a small sect within the greater Baptist movement. The essential claim is that (of course) the Landmark Baptists represent the true church and have always existed from the beginning of Church History, and that “Landmarks” (hence the name) show up from time to time, demonstrating that the “true church” was always present, in spite of the “corruption” of Rome.

They claim that the Montanists, the Tertullianists, the Novationists, the Paterines, the Donatists, the Cathari, the Albigenses and the Waldenses (among others) were all Baptist “Landmarks”.

Read the whole silliness here (if you feel the need)

trailofblood.com/The%20Trail%20Of%20Blood.htm

Even the enormous majority of Protestant Church Historians – including Calvinists – recognize the off-the-wall nature of this “theory”.

[quote=jimmy]I think his claim is that they were in existence before the reformation.
[/quote]

It wouldn’t matter. There never were 50 million anabaptists before or after the 16th century. His idea about this is pure nonsense. Ask for unbiased documentation.

I know! They were hiding out with the Church of Christ who has been around the whole time too. Any writings from them? No. They all just stuck together and waited 1700 years, migrating from Europe to America (yes, every last one of them). Then Mr. Campbell came to tell them that they can come out now!

Notworthy

Here is an excellent article on this whole nonsense:

envoymagazine.com/backissues/2.4/coverstory.html

[quote=NotWorthy]I know! They were hiding out with the Church of Christ who has been around the whole time too. Any writings from them? No. They all just stuck together and waited 1700 years, migrating from Europe to America (yes, every last one of them). Then Mr. Campbell came to tell them that they can come out now!

Notworthy
[/quote]

How could they write? They were being killed off! I mean, if the church kills more anabaptists than actually exist, you got bigger problems than finding a good publisher :smiley:

Wow, its getting interesting now isn’t it. :stuck_out_tongue:

I find that the more I investigate the many denominations that claim to be Christian, the more I am convinced that I was truly born into the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church… just like my mother taught me. Imagine that! :wink:

God bless,

Agricola

[quote=Fidelis]Here is an excellent article on this whole nonsense:

envoymagazine.com/backissues/2.4/coverstory.html
[/quote]

Blah!:whacky:
Evangelical Protestants at the Council of Nicea? The idea would be funny, if it weren’t so sad that some people actually believe it.

'The “Trail of Blood” is a book/chart published by the “Landmark Baptists” – a small sect within the greater Baptist movement. ’

Christs last command to His Church was to 'go and teach the nations’
His ‘True Church’ must possess this universal quality.
This small sect does not fulfill this prophesy of Christs.
The Catholic Church alone, can claim to have fulfilled this prophesy.
It has taught the nations.

[quote=Della]It wouldn’t matter. There never were 50 million anabaptists before or after the 16th century. His idea about this is pure nonsense. Ask for unbiased documentation.
[/quote]

especially after the Church killed off 9 million during the Inquisition :bigyikes::whacky:

if memory decides to serve me right this morning… didn’t the author later write a book/paper that recanted his silly revision of history?

Hey, don’t forget the nine million witches killed during the Witch Hunts!

It’s amazing that there was anyone left for the bubonic plague to kill. Seriously, though, because of the numbers of people killed, the plague affected the society and economy for quite some time. You would think that 50 million would have created similar havoc, but there’s no indication of this. It didn’t happen.

You can, based on the kinds of evidence he has (which is to say, none) counter-claim that anabaptists slaughtered 100 million Catholics—the evidence clearly shows that every anabaptist that was killed actually slew two Catholics in the process. You may not know this (because the RCC has kept it from you) that Baptists invented phasers long before Star Trek (kept them hidden in their KJVs), and so were better equipped than their Catholic would-be oppressors. Unfortunately, primitive phasers only delivered two shots, so only two papists could be sent to hell at a time when they came to slaughter one holy anabaptist.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.