The Trinity - Three in one or one in three?

I have read the CCC on the Trinity but it is still a little hard to understand. How would you describe the Trinity/God? Are there proof texts in the bible to support this?

Thank you and God Bless!
Donna

Dear Donna,

The word “Trinity” is not in Scripture, but the reality is. Jesus said: “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit…” (Matt 27: 19) “I and the Father are one.” (John 10: 30) “No one comes to the Father, but by me.” (Jn 14:6) “And I will pray to the Father, and he will give you another Counselor, to be with you for ever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him,” (John 14: 16-17) So we have plenty of evidence in Scripture regarding the Trinity.

We believe in one God in three Persons. Each Person is distinct and yet one God. The love of the Father for the Son and the love of the Son for the Father is the Holy Spirit. The three Divine Persons form the perfect community of love and are the ultimate model for all of our relationships. We have been created in the image of the Holy Trinity. Everything about us speaks of our origin which is this Triune God. Certainly, we don’t fully understand the Trinity, but one day we will. We don’t fully understand ourselves, for that matter.

For more on the Trinity, see:
[LIST]
*]The Blessed Trinity[/LIST]Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.