The Trump Organization Ordered Golf Course Markers With the Presidential Seal. That May Be Illegal

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/‘trump-inc’-podcast-extra-the-trump-organization-ordered-golf-course-markers-with-the-presidential-seal-that-may-be-illegal/ar-BBJSt5G?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

You know there’s no actual scandal to worry about when the “news” resorts to commenting on the President’s golf course markers. All is well.

2 Likes

Actually we do not know that at all. It is just another apparent impropriety that adds to the list.

2 Likes

Except for the whole “personally profiting from misuse of government property thing”.

3 Likes

I respectfully disagree. I think it’s a nothingburger.

1 Like

If he ordered them, they’re not government property.

1 Like

This particular item on the list maybe a nothingbuirger, but it would be good to get straight on the facts.
As the article linked notes: “Under federal law the seal’s use is permitted only for official government business. Misuse can be a crime.” https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/713?qt-us_code_temp_noupdates=0#qt-us_code_temp_noupdates

1 Like

Improperly following branding and trademark guidelines is a persistent problem for any enterprise and organization. Somebody is always making a mistake or pushing boundaries.

It is important to deal with, but hardly deserves scandal status.

Agreed. It may reflect a certain mindset, but it pales in comparison to other matters. i do not expect the appointment of a special counsel for this.

My point is that this problem afflicts every organization with a marketing team (improper use of branding), it has no reflection on Trump personally. I worked in Marketing for a top brand, and we ran into this problem constantly between central marketing that was responsible for the guidelines and protecting the brand, and the teams executing marketing project and campaign.

Creating chotskies is done at low levels in the organization. Only a very few people in an organization are well versed on the branding guidelines, and serve a cops for the rest of the organization.

Well, noted. I suppose context is important here. If he’s just looking to sell them, yeah, that would likely be illegal, but still unworthy of scandal I think.

Perhaps, but hard to say for sure.

We’ll just have to wait for more info, I suppose.

Even if Trump asked for the ball markers personally, POTUS is not expected to know the intricacies of branding guidelines for the office. Someone else in the org is responsible for catching misuse of branding.

1 Like

Agreed on this count. I will venture to say that, if he DID order them personally, as a businessman he probably should have known better, but that’s sheer conjecture on my part. Worth an eyeroll, perhaps.

1 Like

Just some more casual law breaking to personally enrich Trump.

1 Like

It does. It’s in really poor taste.

But, if you’ve ever been inside Trump Tower, you wouldn’t expect anything different.

Well if he’s already using his office with the seal and his mugshot or his name on mugs in his gift shoppes and he is already getting away with profiting from the office, I don’t see anything from preventing presidential tees to be showing up at his golf shoppes.

Yes we already know. No matter what Trump might do that could be questionable or just plain wrong, it’s a nothingburger to his faithful. Trump himself told us he could even shoot someone and wouldn’t lose support.

“Faithful”? Hardly. I simply refuse to give any credibility to the hand-wringing, hair-pulling, pants-wetting brand of absolute, eye-bugging idiocy that many on the left seem to throw themselves into when dealing with Trump. They’re welcome to make themselves absolutely miserable over the man. I’m above such child-like behavior.

2 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.