The truth about Mary Magdalene & Cain

What does Genesis 4:15 mean? I thought Cain and Abel were the only children of Adam & Eve so they would be the only people in existence? Yet the Lord says:“Not so; anyone who kills Cain will suffer vengeance seven times over.” Then the LORD put a mark on Cain so that no one who found him would kill him.

IIRC, there’s a later verse saying that Adam and Eve would end up having a third child. But as for who would be around to want to kill Cain, I don’t know.

Seth was Adam and Eve’s third son. As far as where did people come from, we must remember that Adam and Eve lived to be very old, Adam living to 930 years of age. Who knows how many kids Adam and Eve had, let alone how many their kids had?

At any rate, this is from St. Augustine:

As, therefore, the human race, subsequently to the first marriage of the man who was made of dust, and his wife who was made out of his side, required the union of males and females in order that it might multiply, and as there were no human beings except those who had been born of these two, men took their sisters for wives,—an act which was as certainly dictated by necessity in these ancient days as afterwards it was condemned by the prohibitions of religion . . . and though it was quite allowable in the earliest ages of the human race to marry one’s sister, it is now abhorred as a thing which no circumstances could justify. (The City of God XV.16)

Edit: reference here:

catholic.com/quickquestions/adam-and-eve-had-three-children-cain-able-and-seth-who-married-and-had-children-whom-

My opinion is that Adam and Eve were two real historical persons. But the named succession of generations after them may skip some generations. The first 11 chapters of Genesis are highly figurative. Perhaps Cain and Abel were not literally the direct descendants of Adam and Eve, but later descendants. Similarly, Jesus is said to be the “son of David”, even though David is a distant ancestor.

My belief is that the Genesis 4 is symbolic, and intended to teach about mankind’s relationship with God and with one another, not to teach history.

But what does any of that have to do with Mary Magdalene?

I’m wondering that also. :confused:

Wasnt there a city starting with “N” ( cannot recall the cities name), somewhere close to the garden of eden? Seems like I remember reading about it, and the question came up about how can there be another city, when theres only supposed to be 4 people in existence…??

:thumbsup:

Gen 5:4 The days of Adam after he became the father of Seth were eight hundred years; **and he had other sons and daughters. **

What is your point or question about Mary Magdalene?

I t

Gen 4:16 Then Cain went away from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, east of Eden. (RSV)

Gen 4:16 And Cain went out from the face of the Lord, and dwelt as a fugitive on the earth at the east side of Eden. (DR-Haydock)

Near as I can tell, the Hebrew and Greek do not include “land of”; they both just say “Nod” – “dwelt in Nod”. Also, the word translated as “east of/side” is the word for “opposite” or “over against” or “before; in the sight of”.

Ditto.

No idea unless it’s a reference to the common misconception that Mary Magdalene was a prostitute for which there is no actual scriptural basis and which arose due to various issues over the years.

Yes…Nod…thank you. this is where Cain met his wife as well…also interesting, as it shows, his wife would have had to have parents, grandparents, etc etc.

???

I’m just saying this from my personal view, but a person under the influence of seven demons is probably going to do lots of things.

Very likely but it’s a logical fallacy to make a leap from that to presuming the woman was a prostitute. Also the notion she was arise from a mistake made by a particular Pope.

You have no basis for such a view. Neither Scripture not the Church teaches that Mary Magdalene was a prostitute.

Indeed. unfortunately due to an error by a Pope in that it’s become one of those things everyone know it’s true even though it’s not. I grew up believing it, but there is no support for it whatsoever. She seems to have been conlfated wiht other individuals as time went on in Christianity who may have been loose women.

I personally like the title she is given sometimes of been the ‘apostle to the apostles’.

That is true. But the gospels of both Luke and Mark attest that she had had seven demons cast out.

Still waiting. :popcorn:

tee

There’s nothing in Scripture that says he met her in Nod, at least not that I’m aware of.
She would either have been his sister or niece, or grandniece…

The text in Luke says that the woman who anointed Jesus’ feet was a sinner. A person with seven demons would certainly be involved in a lot of sins.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.