The Truth: We Are Saved By Faith Alone

Don’t allow anyone or any church tell you that you need to do good works to win your way to Heaven. It is a lie. Scripture screams that we are saved by our faith in Christ and that works are the results of our faith, not the saving mechanism. Jesus said to accept Heaven like a child accepts a gift. That doesn’t mean going to mass everyday and going to confession once a week is going to buy your ticket to Heaven because it won’t. You won’t find Jesus through the mazes of the Roman Catholic church. You will find him by reading and studying Scripture and praying to him and seeking him in all that you do. The church can’t save you, Mary can’t save you, only faith in jesus Christ can save you no matter how much of a sinner or how little of a sinner you are!

Oh boy, are you wrong…
Its called the eucharist

The eucharist is receiving the real Jesus but if you only have faith in the saving mechanisms of the church and not in him, you’re dead. I’ll bet on my belief over yours, thanks.

And I’ll bet on my belief over yours any day. Because as catholics, we believe in Jesus, and we have the grace that comes through the sacraments. I’ll take that any day.

BTW, while you’re reading and studying scripture, keep in mind that it’s scripture given to you by the catholic church.

It is always a sad point to hear someone say that because it only proves how much a person can be brainwashed. The canons were decided upon in the 4th century. No Roman Catholic church then. Sorry. Check your history. No Orthodox nor Anglicans either. Just the early Christian church. Jesus said I am the way the truth and the life and nobody enters unto the father except through me. Not the Catholic church, not Mary, not the rosary nor any combination therof. Only Jesus. He said it.

Now this is before the 4th century dont you think?

Again the ignorance of another Protestant boosts my Catholic faith! You have absolutely no knowledge of Catholic teachings and speak from the side of your head. Educate yourself so that we won’t want to laugh at the rediculous unsubstantiated comments you make. You really are an embarrassment to your fellow Protestant brothers and sisters…God Bless you and may you someday find the truth my lost friend…teachccd:)

I think a better scenario would be for you to prove that the Roman church did exist in the 4th century. You can’t do it, period.

Again your ignorance preceeds you. The Early Church Fathers of the first three centuries wrote numerous acclamations to the teachings of Roman Catholicism. Sacraments and liturgical worship was long in the practice of the christian Church far before the 4th century. Please educate yourself. You are truly embarrassing yourself…

You’re on a catholic site, you prove it to us.

The Catholic Church IS the Body of Christ on earth. If you’re looking for Jesus, nowhere else is better than Holy Mother Church.

Your position makes me sad. I’ll pray for you. And I’ll pray for Mary to pray for you.

just did, go back and read my post…

Now this is before the 4th century dont you think?

:thumbsup: How can one be so uninformed and boast his ignorance??

yes i know…

By who???

By the leprechaun that lives on his right shoulder :stuck_out_tongue:

No wonder you are an ex-Catholic, you sure didn’t learn much about what the Church teaches. In Matt 25:31-46; and 16:27, Jesus will determine our eternal destiny based upon what we have done with our lives, not how much faith we had. Unless Jesus got it wrong, that is. The Church teaches that we are saved by a free gift of Grace, BUT, as James says,* Faith without works is dead.* It’s not either/or, it is BOTH.

Jesus said to accept Heaven like a child accepts a gift. That doesn’t mean going to mass everyday and going to confession once a week is going to buy your ticket to Heaven because it won’t.

Jesus taught His disciples to pray, “Give us this day our DAILY bread.” He later said in John 6:35 "I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall not hunger: and he that believeth in me shall never thirst. "

Read the rest of John Chapter 6 and ask yourself why it is that Catholics take the Bible literally while non-Catholics pick and choose what “hard sayings” they can accept and what they can’t accept.

After the Resurrection, what was the first thing Jesus did when He appeared to the Apostles in the Upper Room?

John 20: 21-23 *He said therefore to them again: Peace be to you. As the Father hath sent me, I also send you. When he had said this, he breathed on them; and he said to them: Receive ye the Holy Ghost. **Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained. ***

How could they retain someone’s sins if they did not know them. Confession has been a part of the Church since the time of the Apostles. Read the Apostolic & Early Church Fathers.

You won’t find Jesus through the mazes of the Roman Catholic church.

It is Protestant denominations where you will find a maze, not in the clarity of the Catholic Faith that comes to us from the Apostles.

You will find him by reading and studying Scripture and praying to him and seeking him in all that you do.

Amen. In the collection of books known as the Bible that was decided on and given to the world by Catholics, taught by the Catholic Church and preserved by the Catholic Church down the ages.

The church can’t save you, Mary can’t save you, only faith in jesus Christ can save you no matter how much of a sinner or how little of a sinner you are!

The Church is not the author of salvation. This comes from God alone. The Church teaches that Jesus is “the source of eternal salvation” and “merited justification for us”.

It might help if you put your misconceptions aside and read the Catechism of the Catholic Church to see just what it is that the Church really teaches before you come here and tell us things that simply are untrue.

The sad thing is up until this point, you’re right. Just going to mass and confession isn’t going to buy you a ticket to heaven. Doing good deeds isn’t either. IF you don’t have faith. Because without faith in Jesus, none of that will do you any good. But it is through our faith in Jesus and God that we receive grace, and it is through that grace given to us by God that we do good works. And we do them as an act of faith, to increase and multiply that faith. Just like we do the sacraments through faith to receive grace from God. Without faith, just going through the motions of mass and the sacraments won’t save us at all.

But with faith, the good works we do to spread that faith and strengthen that grace. And with faith, the sacraments we receive through the church multiply God’s grace.

As a catholic, faith in Jesus IS the center of my life and the reason for salvation. Thankfully, He gave us His church on earth, the catholic church, to help us along with that salvation.

It’s easy for someone who has never received the grace of the sacraments to dismiss them. It’s too bad you’ll never know that, simply reading your bible and starting fights with catholics on message boards.

No, just the Catholic Church that was headed by the Bishop of Rome. The term Roman Catholic wasn’t coined until after the English Church broke away.

I am so sorry that you really feel that way. Do you really feel that way or are you just trying to be the best Catholic you think you can be? The truth here is that what I said is backed totally by scripture after scripture. What so you have but statements from mere men who claim that their Tradition trumps scripture. I’m sorry to say here that it is your ignorance that makes you look embarrassing in front of the saints and other fellow Christians. God bless and forgive you. :slight_smile:

some more brainwashing. So so sad that you don’t know Jesus

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.