"The Two Babylons" by Alexander Hislop

Hi everyone,

On a different forum, I posted a thread about the basic beliefs of Catholicism dispelling myths about Catholics.

A rabid anti-Catholic Protestant posted a comment about how a book called “The Two Babylons” by Alexander Hislop “proves Catholicism is pagan”. Here it is:

All you need to do is read The Two Babylons by Alexander Hislop.

I’ve seen and heard about this book before and I know this book is a load of BS but, could someone provide a link to a refutation of this book or write a refutation here?

There are not too many Catholic sources talking about this.

Thanks.

Here Dylan:
Did the Catholic Church Have Its Origin in Paganism? (This Rock: May-June 2005)

TRACKING THE FIRST PAGANS (This Rock: November-December 1999)

Is Catholicism Pagan?

Chapter & Verse (This Rock: March 2000)

No Rapture for Rome (This Rock: November 2000)

Catholic Answers Special Report: Chick Tracts
Description: Catholic Answers Special Report: Part 5 of 6

More
Hislop’s Babylonian Mystery Religion Teaching Exposed

Alexander Hislop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alexander Hislop: critique

Tell him the “The Two Babylons” proves that the Catholics Church is Pagan in the same since that “Holy Blood Holy Grail” “Proves” Jesus had kids.

In Christ

Ralph Woodrow, who plundered Hislop’s book for much of the material in his own best-seller, Babylon Mystery Religion, has been powerfully forthcoming in withdrawing that book from the market and in publishing the errors it contains.

Hislop’s book is still in print but Woodrow’s is getting hard to come by. Pity. I’d like to build a library of this stuff along with Chick tracts.

I’ve often wished I could do this too. I saw a copy of the anti-Catholic classic “Roman Catholicism” by Loraine Boettner in a used bookstore and now regret I didn’t grab it.

A anti-Catholic reference library would probably consist of, at least:

*“Roman Catholicism” by Loraine Boettner
*“Two Babylons” by Alexander Hilsop
*“Babylon Mystery Religion” by Ralph Woodrow

• The Jack Chick tract collecton

When I became Catholic, a young Pentecostal minister friend of mine gave me Roman Catholicism so that “you would know what people think about this.” Looking it over, I saw how malignant (and STUPID) it was and put it in the trash. BAD mistake!

Frazer’s Golden Bough

Paganism in Our Christianity by Arthur Weigall

these two books employ Hislop’s logic and proves with that faulty logic that all of chrisitanity is pagan in origin.

Ask them how they would refute those books.

They will not be able to present any “logical” reasons to reject those books.

If Hislop is true about catholicism, then those two books would be true about all of christianity, including protestants, bible believers, etc.,

. . . which leads to the point (as St. Paul points out in Romans 1) that even barbarians are capable of “reading” the face of creation and coming up with aspects of the Truth. A Pagan worshipping the sun is at least pointing in the direction of the light, even if falling short of it by worshiping the lamp.

Lay this link on them, “The World’s Sixteen Crucified Saviors (or Christianity before Christ)”

infidels.org/library/historical/kersey_graves/16/

It will “prove” that all of Christianity itself is pagan.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.