The two witnesses of Revelation 11

I think it might be the same two witnesses that God sent to witness against Sodom and Gomorrah. They were two angels who were disguised to look like two men. The powers it describes the two as having are also powers that are attributed to angels. And the End Times are described as being as it was in the days of Lot. God's judgment against Sodom was an early foreshadowing of God's final judgment on the world at the end of time. So I think it's reasonable to speculate that God might do it in a similar way again using the same two witnesses. This interpretation isn't in the commentary of either of the two types of bibles I own (RSV-CE and NAB). But it makes sense to me. Anyone have any thoughts about it?

P.S. - I do not claim to know when the Second Coming of Christ will be.

In my RSV-CE Ignatius Catholic Study Bible it says:

11:3 two witnesses: Represent the Church's witness to Israel and, more specifically, her conviction that the Law and the Prophets bear witness to Christ. So understood, the fate of the two witnesses symbolize the rejection of the gospel by unbelieving Israel (11:10), as well as the Church's conformity to Christ in his dying, rising, and exaltation (11:7, 11-12). Some see the witnesses as two historical individuals, either as two unknown martyrs or as two figures from the OT, such as Moses and Elijah or Enoch and Elijah. The actions of the witnesses recall those of Moses and Elijah: they "shut the sky" (11:6; 1 Kings 17:1); they turn water "into blood" (11:6; Ex 7:20); they are taken up to "heaven" (11:12; 2 Kings 2:11); and they give "testimony" to Jesus (11:7; Lk 9:28-31). Sackcloth: A coarse garment of goat hair worn as a sign of mourning and repentance (Dan 9:3; Joel 1:13).

The interpretation in this commentary contains a lot of truth, and I think it could be just as it says here. Or maybe it could be that elements of my interpretation in the OP and elements of this commentary can in some way coexist.

Some preachers believe the two witnesses are Enoch & Elijah.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.