The Ultimate Apologetics Question

Will you think I’m crazy?
Will you think it’s not worth your time to investigate?
Will you get bored?
Will you think it’s obviously a sin to ask such a thing?
Will you not realise that I am dead serious?
Will you walk past me like I was a bum?

…when I ask the ultimate apologetics question:

Is the movie Mulholland Drive the Second Coming of Jesus Christ?

Will you watch a scene of mastrubation?
Will you question the morality of two women making out?
Will you manage to finish the movie?

Well, I thought it wasn’t much of a movie. In fact, I hated it. It sucked. As for the symbolism, maybe. But maybe not. I personally saw a very odd independent film with too many jumps and incoherent plot lines, and nothing more. Then there was the monster that lived behind the dumpster. What??? As for the Second Coming, I don’t think I agree. Mostly just a lame excuse for a movie embelished with sex. But then again, I haven’t seen it in a while.

Eamon

Here’s your ultimate answer:

No.

I’ve seen your posts on this movie in other threads, so in the words of Ace Venture: “Obsess much?”

Here’s why the answer is no: Jesus would not tempt man to sin. Displaying immodest and unchaste sexual images tempts impurity.

[quote=Genesis315]Here’s your ultimate answer:

No.

I’ve seen your posts on this movie in other threads, so in the words of Ace Venture: “Obsess much?”

Here’s why the answer is no: Jesus would not tempt man to sin. Displaying immodest and unchaste sexual images tempts impurity.
[/quote]

If a skyscraper fell in the midst of a (spiritual) city and everybody (but one) refused to hear it, would it still make a sound? And would we call the one who did hear it obsessed for acknowledging it? Either *Mulholland Drive * is or is not what I claim it to be.

If you saw my other posts you will remember that I made the claim that David Lynch uses (allows) sin in *exactly * the same way that God uses sin. God’s world is rated NC-17, at least. It’s not the sin that is important, but the return from sin. This is what the great film directors have understood.

[quote=Pace]If a skyscraper fell in the midst of a (spiritual) city and everybody (but one) refused to hear it, would it still make a sound? And would we call the one who did hear it obsessed for acknowledging it? Either *Mulholland Drive *is or is not what I claim it to be.

If you saw my other posts you will remember that I made the claim that David Lynch uses (allows) sin in *exactly *the same way that God uses sin. God’s world is rated NC-17, at least. It’s not the sin that is important, but the return from sin. This is what the great film directors have understood.
[/quote]

Well, then you are saying Lynch is the second coming. The world has sin. God is not the world. The world is His creation just like the movie is Lynch’s creation.

Likewise, Scripture says we will all know when the Second Coming is at hand. Jesus is going to return the same way he left…and he didn’t leave as a movie.

Egad.

Was this really a serious question?

[quote=gomer tree]Egad.

Was this really a serious question?
[/quote]

This fella (lady?) has posted on this a lot. I’m convinced he truly believes it. Check his post history.

[quote=Pace]If a skyscraper fell in the midst of a (spiritual) city and everybody (but one) refused to hear it, would it still make a sound? And would we call the one who did hear it obsessed for acknowledging it? Either *Mulholland Drive *is or is not what I claim it to be.
[/quote]

God came to save the world, right? Why are you the only one He’s returned for? Sounds a little narcissistic, no? (forgive me, I can’t resist…) What were you eating while you watched that film–popcorn with a little mushroom salt?

Also–What about people who don’t have access to theaters or DVDs or VCRs? Are they doomed to Hell because they missed that one? Nope. I’m sorry, but if you really believe this–something is NOT RIGHT–see a doctor.

. God’s world is rated NC-17, at least. .

IN THE BEGINNING it was not so…then the serpent entered the garden…Beware of serpents with false promises…

[quote=Genesis315]Likewise, Scripture says we will all know when the Second Coming is at hand. Jesus is going to return the same way he left…and he didn’t leave as a movie.
[/quote]

I thought about adding “…or the beginning of the Second Coming” to the title of this thread but decided against it, because I figured that the Second Coming is the Second Coming, no matter how it begins or ends. So maybe Mulholland Drive is the first emergence, the first outline, of the face of Christ returning? After all, won’t what happens at the Second Coming be only a confirmation of the truth of what is already in our hearts. That’s why I point to this movie: it is a mirror that tries to tell us who we are, what we love and what we hate, what is sin and what isn’t sin. Catholics have lost track of these things. We are equal to the pagans in lost-ness and they are equal to us in faith. That’s why God could only unite all through a movie. Because movies are something we ALL have faith in.

The movie itself also contains a scene that would fit well with the Bible passages of the Ascension. That was one of the final things that made me consider the possibility that maybe the angels who said he would return “just as you saw him go” meant that he would return in the way that it is shown in Mulholland Drive.

[quote=Pace]That’s why I point to this movie: it is a mirror that tries to tell us who we are, what we love and what we hate, what is sin and what isn’t sin. Catholics have lost track of these things. We are equal to the pagans in lost-ness and they are equal to us in faith. That’s why God could only unite all through a movie. Because movies are something we ALL have faith in.
[/quote]

Wouldn’t that leave a whole heck of a lot of people out? Like people who live in third world countries and barely have homes to live in, let alone a local movie theatre? Besides, I don’t put my faith in movies. If it wasn’t for The Passion, I would believe that Hollywood is about as far from God as you can get.

“Because movies are something we ALL have faith in”

Yeah right.:rolleyes:

That’s one of the most ridicules posts I’ve read on this forum.

If Jesus were going to use a movie as a vehicle for His second coming I would have to say The Passion would qualify before Mulholland Drive.

I have not even heard of this movie Mulholland Drive and that shows what a non-event it happens to be. Might a suggest that a visit to a psychotherapist might be in order to get rid of this obsession.

smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_2_100.gif

Maggie

**Pace: **the meaning of insanity is when one loses one’s grip on reality. Insane/deranged individuals often have obsessive attachments to books, movies, songs etc. (e.g. Charles Manson, Mark David Chapman) Please see a trained psychologist about your obvious delusions.

Mulholland Drive is a terribly warped movie. It does try to mess with your head, and of all movies, this is probably one of the worst to watch after dropping acid (present subject a case-in-point). Clockwork Orange ranks in a close second.

[quote=st_felicity]God came to save the world, right? Why are you the only one He’s returned for?
[/quote]

If you believed as I do, that would make two of us. :slight_smile:

Also–What about people who don’t have access to theaters or DVDs or VCRs? Are they doomed to Hell because they missed that one? Nope. I’m sorry, but if you really believe this–something is NOT RIGHT–see a doctor.

Mulholland Drive is already present within each heart, just like Christ is.

IN THE BEGINNING it was not so…then the serpent entered the garden…Beware of serpents with false promises…

Adam and Eve also tried to hide from God in the garden.

AFTER the serpent filled their heads with lies! Duh! I’m sorry, man, please…see a doctor…

[quote=turboEDvo]Will you watch a scene of mastrubation?
[/quote]

God chooses to watch many scenes of masturbation rather than to destroy the masturbator.

Will you question the morality of two women making out?

Maybe I’m the only one who has?

Will you manage to finish the movie?

That is the very thing that happens with most people. There is a vague feeling that one is sinning, so the search is given up. This is what I think ‘the movies’ have taught us. It has somehow happened that our habit of movie judging has transferred over to human judging. So now, movies are persons and persons are movies. This is what makes it possible that a movie could eventually become the Christ.

But, then again, I haven’t seen it in a while.

This is the key to it all: You still have an open mind.

And I want to make it clear that I’ve asked myself many of the same questions that you all are asking about this film, so I know where you are coming from.

You seem like a peacable guy, you’re not hostile, seem genuine…that’s why I fear there is some organic illness going on here…

~What does your family think of your revelation?
~What do your friends think?
~Has **anyone you know **come to understand where you’re coming from on this?
~Do you have a movement started–not just internet stuff–do you meet and worship?
~What is it that you hope to accomplish?
~Have you considered that maybe you are delusional?

I don’t mean that disrespectfully–please think about it…

Answer any or all of these, I’m sure it would help enlighten us.

[quote=legeorge]Besides, I don’t put my faith in movies. If it wasn’t for The Passion, I would believe that Hollywood is about as far from God as you can get.
[/quote]

Mulholland Drive is like the Eucharist. We receive it through our eyes and ears. It is in the disguise of a movie. This is what makes it possible that all people can receive it. After it is willingly let inside of us we are forced to identify who it is we have let inside. Because the thing we have let inside is a living thing freely wandering around in the city of our soul.

I sometimes wonder if The Passion doesn’t have the opposite effect, in that it imprisons Our Lord within a ‘movie’ in our minds.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.