"The Ultimate Challenge" Debates

Has anyone listened to “The Ultimate Challenge” Catholic/Protestant debates that were held in Dallas about 10 years ago? If so, how did they go? Phil, the debate junkie, have you heard them?

I have copies of the debate of cd. I didn’t think they were a decade ago, though, although maybe I’m wrong.

I thought they went very good for the Catholic position, in my humble opinion. The best debate by far was the justification debate with Dr. Hahn. It’s funny that none of the participants saw it as a debate, they all saw it as a “dialogue.” Dr. Hahn did an amazing job clarifying the Catholic position and also demonstrating how the term “faith alone” might be acceptable for Catholics but also why it should be “retired from active duty” as a phrase used to describe justification. I thought Fr. Groeschel’s debate was good on the Eucharist. He stuck to the Church Fathers pretty much throughout, while his opponent was more focused on Scriptural proof. But I would purchase the debate set for the first 2 talks featured on it. Fr. Groeschel gives an amazing lecture on the historical evidence for the Eucharist, and Dr. Hahn gives one of the best talks of his career entitled “The Beauty and Truth of the Catholic Faith, aka How Do You Spell B-E-L-I-E-F?” Those talks are awesome.

<< Has anyone listened to “The Ultimate Challenge” Catholic/Protestant debates that were held in Dallas about 10 years ago? If so, how did they go? Phil, the debate junkie, have you heard them? >>

Yeah I got them when they came out. I don’t remember much, mind is a little fuzzy after listening to a million debates, they all tend to blur.

I remember that Robert Bowman (former Catholic, and former CRI cult apologist) is a fair and decent guy, and he and Scott Hahn had a nice debate on justification. If I remember the opponent of Fr. Groeschel was unfortunately some nasty anti-Catholic from Australia, kind of a Jack Chick type. But its been a while, I have the original cassettes somewhere. A third debate in that set is ever-boring Kenneth Samples (I’m sorry the guy puts me to :sleep: ) :smiley: vs. Mitch Pacwa on sola scriptura. Samples isn’t much of a debater and I don’t think it went well for him. Bowman was more aggressive so it was a little more interesting.

And yeah it was a decade ago (1997) but it had a different title originally (Evangelization in Dallas or some such, before they re-named it “Ultimate Challenge” debate).

Phil P

You can get the Ultimate Challenge Debates cheaper as only audio too.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.