The Unforgivable Sin - and forgiving each other

Truly the concept of the “unforgivable sin” is one that has been thoroughly discussed, but lately I have pondering a somewhat different aspect of this - in light of Scripture - and would like to share it and get feedback.
From Scripture we have…
14 For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father also will forgive you; 15 but if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses. (Mt 6) - This immediately follows the teaching of the Lord’s prayer.

23 “Therefore the kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who wished to settle accounts with his servants. 24 When he began the reckoning, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents; 25 and as he could not pay, his lord ordered him to be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and payment to be made. 26 So the servant fell on his knees, imploring him, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay you everything.' 27 And out of pity for him the lord of that servant released him and forgave him the debt. 28 But that same servant, as he went out, came upon one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denarii; and seizing him by the throat he said,Pay what you owe.’ 29 So his fellow servant fell down and besought him, Have patience with me, and I will pay you.' 30 He refused and went and put him in prison till he should pay the debt. 31 When his fellow servants saw what had taken place, they were greatly distressed, and they went and reported to their lord all that had taken place. 32 Then his lord summoned him and said to him,You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you besought me; 33 and should not you have had mercy on your fellow servant, as I had mercy on you?’ 34 And in anger his lord delivered him to the jailers, till he should pay all his debt. 35 So also my heavenly Father will do to every one of you, if you do not forgive your brother from your heart.” (Mt 18)

So it would seem that, if we do not forgive, we will not be forgiven…Thus failure to forgive is a sin and one that cannot be forgiven (so long as we refuse to forgive)

This seems to be tied also to Judgement of others…For in Mt 7 we see…
1 "Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and the measure you give will be the measure you get.
So - While Judgement itself is not actually condemned…we are cautioned that we will be judged by the same standards that we ourselves have used.

Taking the above observations - it would seem that the unforgivable sin (blaspheming the Holy Spirit) can take some different forms. But that all of the forms really come down to not embracing and living a life of Love - that of a true Christian.

Peace
James

I’m so confused. All the talk on forgiveness, it makes you wonder - have I forgiven properly? and if so, should I be reconciled and in relationship with the forgivee? or is it okay not to be? and what if being in relationship would lead me into sin - which is my preferred position with God? - forgiving the forgivee and in relationship and sin, or apparently not (forgiving the forgivee) but refraining from sin. What if I am being judged by those who are all knowing? What if I am judging myself? It seems so confusing… Is this mental cruelty?

So, thankfully, the salvation of the old fallback: ‘when in doubt - do nothing’.

If you desire the good of the other person then you have forgiven properly

and if so, should I be reconciled and in relationship with the forgivee? or is it okay not to be?

It is OK not to be in a relationship with the other person.

and what if being in relationship would lead me into sin -

Then don’t be in a relationship with them…but still forgive and wish only good for them.

which is my preferred position with God? - forgiving the forgivee and in relationship and sin, or apparently not (forgiving the forgivee) but refraining from sin.

Avoiding sin is always the preferred position

What if I am being judged by those who are all knowing?

Well ultimately you are…

What if I am judging myself?

Scripture indicates that on some level you are…

It seems so confusing…

Yup - it can be

Is this mental cruelty?

I don’t think so

So, thankfully, the salvation of the old fallback: ‘when in doubt - do nothing’.

I don’t think that is necessarily the best choice.

Peace
James

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.