the unforgivable sin

Since some protestants claim that the church became corrupted, could they be committing blaspheme of the Holy Spirit by denying him the ability to protect the church from teaching error & allowing the gates of hell to prevail over it?

Gee, OP, you haven’t made much sense in your question.

Are you asking :** Could Protestants be blaspheming the Holy Spirit, when they deny the Holy Spirit the ability to prevent the Pope from making mistakes in his teaching?**

If so, I don’t understand.

If no, could you please re-phrase your question?

No, their ignorance of the faith Catholic precludes that. The CCC notes
818: However, one cannot charge the sin of separation those who at present are born into these communities that resulted from separation and in them are brought up in the faith of Christ, and the Catholic Church accepts hem with respect and affection…as brothers…clipped for Brevity. (Wounds in Unity Section: CCC is Catechism of the Catholic Church and free online for anyone that wasn’t aware of that)

Mary.

:thumbsup:

Exactly.

Besides, Saint Augustine teaches that “the unforgivable sin” is final impenitence - refusal to repent and believe that Christ can save you. I don’t think too many Protestants fit that description. :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot guys, your answers make sense. It was just a thought I had & decided to share with you

:thumbsup:

The beautiful thing about the “unforgivable sin” you refer to is that if you are worrying that you might have committed it, that very fact demonstrates that you haven’t. :wink:

As I understand it, it’s not that the sin itself cannot be forgiven. It’s that once you are so far gone that you behold the Holy Spirit himself and declare Him to be something evil or reprehensible, you simply no longer have repentance in you. If this were not so, then the existence of Hell would prove God to be a tyrant. Hell isn’t just an eternal punishment, it’s what results when God gives those who hate Him what they’ve asked for and really want: an eternity absent of His presence.

The other nice thing about the “unforgivable sin” is that NONE of us puny humans are capable of assessing who has committed it. God’s job and He’s welcome to it! Remember Rule #1: “I am the Lord, your God. You shall have no other gods besides me.”

The first sentence isn’t just introduction. It’s part of the command. Don’t take it on yourself to do God’s job.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.