The unforgiveable sin?

HI everyone

I have something on my mind and I’m not sure who to ask, so I thought I’d ask here.

I’ll just get to the point :wink:
I used to struggle with OCD. Because of this, I tend to repeat things over and over again in my mind, and sometimes in my actions (like when I’m checking something), or I get really stressed out. Well for some reason, when people say swear words…it affects me so much that they begin “playing” in my mind repeatedly, and I can’t really control it well. One time, a friend of mine saw something horrible written on the wall of her building about God. When I was a Protestant, I went through a really difficult time where that exact phrase would just repeat in my head and I felt like I was sinning each time. I know there’s a difference between sinning and temptation…but I couldn’t tell what this was. When I became Catholic, thankfully it all went away!! but last week…I had a really rough week spiritually, and it came back, to a lesser degree. It’s really bothering me. In addition to swear words, I also keep on getting horrible thoughts about my family and friends, like really angry and hateful thoughts that don’t seem to come from me at all. Maybe this is demonic? :frowning: it feels like a temptation. Also, I read in the Bible that everything could be forgiven *except *blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Well one time the devil started putting this horrible thought in my mind, that kept on repeating, like the other ones… (maybe because of my - now very mild OCD). and it was against the Holy Spirit. I’d never say it here. But it’s bothering me sooo much, because I’m scared now that I’ve committed the unforgiveable sin :frowning: it’s the WORST thought that could ever be about the Holy Spirit… :frowning: I’d never come up with it on my own…

I hate swear words so much. Whenever I hear people say swear words, it affects me so badly I want to run away. It actually causes me pain.

I don’t know what to do :frowning:

does anyone have any advice? please say a prayer for me if you have a moment

I’m really struggling…but praise God!! I was able to go to Confession today!!! :smiley: I was sure that I wouldn’t be able to (transportation reasons…) but I guess I REALLY needed it cause God made a way :slight_smile: I’m so glad…and the priest was so kind too and said a prayer for me. I confessed the evil thoughts btw. But I want this to end forever.

Dear Monica
Don not fear for you have not commited the unforgivable sin.

The sin against the Holy Spirit (Matt 12:30) is simply not believing in the forgivness of sins. This is how all the great theologians of the Church have understood it.

If you have a rubbish truck, it will go along and pick up everything. If you throw the rusbbish men into the truck as well it can’t pick up anything.

This is most claearly shown in the life of St Peter and Judas. Both committed serious sins, denial and betrayal. Judas was not condemned because of what he did. It was because he didn’t believe he could be forgiven. Judas could not face Jesus. Peter commited a terrible sin, yet he returned to ask Jesus for forgivness. people don’t end up in hell for commiting serious sins, if that was the case many saints would be there. hell is a place where unrepentant sinners go.

If you don’t believe in forgivness you can’t be forgiven. That’s the sin againts the Holy Spirit.

Don’t despair, sister. Seriously, don’t despair! That is the unforgivable sin, as Michael explains above.

Relax and trust in God. Jesus tells his disciples at the Last Supper, “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You have faith in God; have faith also in me.” (John 14:1)

You have no idea how much God is pleased with your intentions to please Him, but don’t let this fiery love burn down the structures which the Lord has and is attempting to build within you.

Monica, you really just need to understand what the unforgiveable sin is. Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is, according to the CCC, deliberate refusal to seek forgiveness that leads to final impenitence. Permanent refusal to seek forgiveness, not just temporary refusal that one repents of later. This long-term impenitence is despising and denying the gift of the Holy Spirit, eternal life, and so is blasphemy. So you don’t have to worry that you’ve committed it. You definitely haven’t, and I’m certain you never will.

[quote=CCC 1864]"Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven."136 There are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit.137 Such hardness of heart can lead to final impenitence and eternal loss.
[/quote]

As for the dreadful thought, it isn’t your own and you fight against it rather than consenting to its presence or taking pleasure in it, so you don’t need to fear that it has polluted your soul in any way. I wouldn’t even confess it, if I were you (unless just for your peace of mind). Christ has you firmly in His hands of love. As He said in Scripture, “I know my sheep and my sheep know me. No one can snatch them out of my hand.”

thank you everyone :slight_smile:

that really helps. I was really worried.

I think it happened to me that because of my pride I resisted repentance for a while :frowning: but eventually, this caused me so much pain and unrest in my soul that I eventually did repent. I think it does require humility to ask for forgiveness :slight_smile: so I think if we are asking for His mercy, the Holy Spirit IS in fact working in us.

God bless :slight_smile:

I think if you differentiate the true inner ‘you’ from these uncontrolled thoughts, in other words, discern and strengthen the inner self that defies them, you will learn some good spiritual lessons. :slight_smile:

The St. Michael prayer is a wonderful prayer.

Awareness of how you truly feel and are inside, in defiance of any blasphemous thoughts, a differentiation, ‘I am with God, I do not think or want this stuff!’ is a good way to begin. :slight_smile:

If you place yourself in that strength and God’s peace rather than rapt up in the thoughts which are there in defiance of your will, you will not lose the strength to fight them.

Jesus, I trust in you!

Hi,

I too suffer from repeated unwanted thoughts popping in my head from a life-time of sin. I think this has already been said but, if it is not your intent then there is no sin. So unless you consciously thought " I am going to say xyz" its not a sin. If “xyz” just pops in your head it wasn’t you. Again it has to be a conscious and willful act.

Along with St. Michael (as stated above) I would also ask St. Maria Goretti to pray with you for “total purity” not just against “sins of the flesh” but to return to your baptismal purity (this was recomended to me by my confessor and spirital director). :slight_smile:

–Cadian :knight1:

I’m sorry I’m struggling again with this same thing :frowning:

(I’m Monica4316)

I know that the Church teaches that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is refusal of forgiveness… but I don’t understand, I looked up ‘blasphemy’ and it says: “blaspheme - speak of in an irreverent or impious manner”… and that’s what these thoughts are… I don’t even know where they come from, I think from the enemy.

for the past few days I’ve been so afraid :frowning: I’m afraid there’s no hope for me, but I don’t actually believe that, I believe in God’s mercy… but I FEEL very afraid and nervous. How do I know I’m not committing this sin? I keep on being tempted with this horrible thought against the Holy Spirit, and I try to resist it, but sometimes I’m so weak and give in and it ‘plays’ in my mind. =( I’m praying to the Holy Spirit every day for greater devotion to Him, and that’s been helping a lot, but one thing that’s still in the way is this fear…

please pray for me :frowning:

I’m so afraid that no matter what I do, I’d go to hell for having this horrible ‘irreverent’, ‘impious’ thought against the Holy Spirit, though I never meant it… but I can’t even tell anymore the difference between temptation and sin, I’m afraid that somehow I did mean it and felt it when I thought it. How do I know?
is this the devil tormenting me again.

I’m sorry I’m complaining so much, I don’t know how to deal with this anymore, I hope this is not a cross I’d have to bear for the rest of my life… it scares me so much to think that I CAN’T be saved.

I was taught in RCIA that this sin is the rejection of God and His mercy right through the last moment of life. It is the only unforgiveable sin because one cannot ask for forgiveness after death. It is not possible given that definition that you have committed it. Clearly you are still alive and here, so you are capable of confessing any and all sins and accepting God’s forgiveness. We were told that it is not the common definition of blasphemy that you mentioned.

I hope soooo much that is right…

I’m wondering then, **why is it called “blasphemy”? **Christ called it that… is it an accurate translation? I know that in the Gospels, He talked about it to people who said that His healings were done by an ‘unclean spirit’… so they rejected the work of the Holy Spirit… I’ve never done this to my knowledge… but these thoughts have been so horrible :frowning:

all this is preventing me from trusting God as much as I should, and I know that’s very dangerous.

maybe the devil tempted me in this way to drive me to despair :frowning:

It’s time for you to consult the practitioner who’s helping you with the OCD. Unwanted thoughts such as you describe are a common symptom, as I’m sure you will recall.

In the meantime, go back and read the post you just made. Does that sound like a person who is consenting to the sin of blasphemy? NO! It’s a person struggling with unwanted thoughts that are beginning to overpower her. You have no responsibility for these thoughts. Your responsibility now is to get some help.

God bless you!

Betsy

Pray, pray, and pray more! Prayers for times like these. . .

An Offering of the Hearts of Jesus and Mary
by St. John Eudes

O Jesus, only Son of God, only Son of Mary,
I offer Thee the most loving Heart of Thy divine Mother
which is more precious and pleasing to Thee than all hearts.
O Mary, Mother of Jesus,
I offer Thee the most adorable Heart of Thy well-beloved Son,
who is the life and love and joy of Thy Heart.
Blessed be the Most Loving Heart
and Sweet Name of Our Lord Jesus Christ
and the most glorious
Virgin Mary, His Mother,
in eternity and forever.

Act of Renunciation of Evil

I renounce, from this moment and for all eternity, the devil and all his works and pomps. I abhor all his suggestions and temptations. Suffer not, O Lord, this mortal enemy of my soul to have any power over me, either now or at my last hour. Let Thy holy Angels ever keep me and defend me against all the powers of darkness. Amen.

Act of Hope
from the Small Roman Missal

Since Thou vouchsafest to come and dwell within me, O my Redeemer! What may I not expect from Thy bounty! I therefore present myself before Thee with that lively confidence which Thine infinite goodness inspires. Thou not only knowest all my wants, but Thou art also willing and able to relieve them. Thou hast not only invited me, but also promised me Thy gracious assistance: “Come to Me all ye that labour and are burdened, and I will refresh you.” Behold, then, O Lord, I accept of Thy gracious invitation; lay before Thee all my wants, my misery, and my blindness, and confidently hope, without the fear of being disappointed, that Thou wilt enable me to persevere, unto the end of my life, in Thy service. “In Thee, O Lord, have I hoped; I shall not be confounded forever.”

Act of Charity
from the Raccolta

O my God, because Thou art the highest and most perfect good, I love Thee with my whole heart, and above all things; and rather than offend Thee, I am ready to lose all things else; and moreover for Thy love I love and desire to love my neighbour as myself.

Precious Blood wash over me and protect me from the snares of the devil. Jesus, Mary, Joseph, St. Maria Goretti, guardian angel help me. .

Precious Blood of Jesus Christ, save souls.

Psalm 23

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want; he maketh me to lie down in green pastures. He leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul. He leadeth me in paths of righteousness for his name sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies; Thou anointest my head with oil, my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Psalm 103

The Lord is compassion and kindness,
full of patience, full of mercy.
He will not fight against you for ever:
he will not always be angry.
He does not treat us as our sins deserve;
he does not pay us back for our wrongdoing.

As high as the sky above the earth,
so great is his kindness to those who fear him.
As far as east is from west,
so far he has put our wrongdoing from us.
As a father cares for his children,
so the Lord cares for those who fear him.

For he knows how we are made,
he remembers we are nothing but dust.
Man - his life is like grass,
he blossoms and withers like flowers of the field.
The wind blows and carries him away:
no trace of him remains.

St. Michael the Archangel Prayer
Sancte Michael Archangele
by Pope Leo XIII

Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle: be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray: and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all the evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium. Imperet illi Deus, supplices deprecamur: tuque, Princeps Militiae Coelestis, satanam aliosque spiritus malignos, qui ad perditionem animarum pervagantur in mundo, divina virtute, in infernum detrude.

www.saintsprayers.net

thank you… I don’t have anyone helping me :frowning: I think I have several symptoms of OCD though…

I think what’s bothering me about these thoughts the most is that they’re about the Holy Spirit, of all things. Since the unforgiveable sin also concerns the Holy Spirit, that’s causing me anxiety…

God bless

thank you :slight_smile:

God bless.

Dear Monica

I don’t thnk there’s any sin here. You really need to talk to your doctor all about these thoughts and get medical help. I sort of understand because I used to be plagued with diabolical suggestions where the enemy wanted me to consent to being possessed and other very blasphemous thoughts. Extremely annoying and often frightening but not sinful if not consented to. It may be the enemy with you, he will ake adanage of any weakness to annoy us. You really need your doctor regardless.

I’m praying for you still. Hope it helps

God bless you:thumbsup::slight_smile:
John

Thank you John… to be honest I’m kind of worried about contacting a doctor cause I don’t want to be on any meds, as this is not severe enough that it’s affecting my day to day ‘functioning’… it’s affecting my spiritual life though, with all these temptations. :frowning: I’m also really afraid cause I’m a Psychology student, and in university we’re taught that everything has a neurological basis to it, and if that’s what the doctor thinks it might be hard for me…

the OCD symptoms used to be much worse but they’ve gotten better over time, I’m not sure why…

I do hope these temptations will go away… I’m sad that these thoughts have been about the Holy Spirit… =(

in the end, how do I know for sure it’s not blasphemy? how do I know I’m not consenting? I know it seems like an obvious question, but a few times, the devil even tricked me into feeling like I am meaning these words. I was even afraid of thinking about the Holy Spirit as a result of all this… until recently… it’s been much better since I’ve started the novena, and I feel closer to Him :slight_smile:

before I was Catholic, I had this horrible hatred for Our Lady, but God took that away. It was scary… but this is scary too, cause it reminds me of the unforgiveable sin.

It’s interesting that you mention the enemy put thoughts in your mind like consenting to be possessed… cause I’ve had this happen to me too. I resisted it but it was very annoying, yes.

God bless

Dear Monica

I think if I ask you do you love the Holy Spirit you will tell me I think so but I have these blasphemous thoughts. I might say do these thoughts reflect what you will to believe about the Holy Spirit and are they pleasing to you and do you cnsent to them and delight in them? You will answer No, of ourse not, That is your answer dear friend. These are just thoughts and are not sinful. It probably is the devil I think. I suggest praying a lot to the Holy Spirit and telling Him you love Him and expressing love in whatever way you can, even in silence. Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is forgivable anyway. I don’t know the original langage but what catholics believe follows on this. You insult the Holy Spirit by refusing forgiveness is more what this likely refers to.

edit] Roman Catholicism & Orthodox Christianity

The Roman Catholic, Eastern and Oriental Orthodox Churches believe blasphemy against the Holy Spirit to be an unforgivable sin (i.e., eternal sin).
According to the Catholic Catechism, there are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit. Such hardness of heart can lead to final impenitence and eternal loss. [1]
However, it should be noted that the Church further believes there is no offence, however serious, that the Church cannot forgive. There is no one, however wicked and guilty, who may not confidently hope for forgiveness, provided his repentance is honest. Christ who died for all men desires that in his Church the gates of forgiveness should always be open to anyone who turns away from sin. [2]
The Orthodox Churches essentially hold the same principles in regards to this doctrine although their understanding of the nature of “The Church” may differ slightly.

I’ve known you a good while on here Monica and you are not guilty of this sin.

God bless you and I’m praying for you:thumbsup::slight_smile:

John

Your spiritual life is the **most important **part of your day to day functioning. I’m surprised that you are not more open and informed on the assistance that meds can give you, as a psychology student. I am close to someone who, for many years, was bothered as you are with OCD and the unwanted, obsessive thoughts that come with it. Once diagnosed and treated with appropriate meds, this person has ceased to be bothered by the OCD symptoms and has become much closer to God.

I hope you will give serious consideration to seeking medical help. God does not want His children to suffer when there is a remedy easily available.

Betsy

God knows what’s in your heart and what’s going on in your mind isn’t coming from your heart. You obviously have a wonderful heart. I have had almost the exact thing happen to me, and the way I cured myself was by asking the Lord to put a filter on my thoughts. He did it! Relax, God loves you and understands your psychological issue!!!

The enemy kept to this particular method by giving her for a long time the temptation of blasphemy – for which she never found any remedy either in confession or in any other way – until finally the devil came to her one night while she was sleeping and opened her ears and told her to blaspheme God. She, still sleeping, refused, saying: “I will not do that.” And when the evil one saw how much she despised him, he made such a loud racket that she woke up and felt him depart. And in this way, she realized clearly that it was the enemy who had afflicted her so by putting in her heart such blasphemies and then leading her to think that they came from herself in order to make her fall into despair. And after this, she remained victorious over temptation, seeing openly how the enemy insinuated such blasphemies into her spirit. So if any of you, beloved sisters, should be tempted in a similar struggle, do not be alarmed nor saddened by thinking that it proceeds from yourself rather than only from diabolic envy which cannot stand it that God be adored and praised. But in eternity, without any respite, he will be blessed and praised and magnified and superexalted in despite and derision of Lucifer and all his companions and the dark brigade. Amen. Amen.’

St. Catherine of Bologna

from the book, ‘The Seven Spiritual Weapons’

The incensive power usually troubles and confuses the soul more than any other passion, yet there are times when it greatly benefits the soul. For when with inward calm we direct it against blasphemers or other sinners in order to induce them to mend their ways or at least feel some shame, we make our soul more gentle. In this way we put ourselves completely in harmony with the purposes of God’s justice and goodness. In addition, through becoming deeply angered by sin we often overcome weaknesses in our soul. Thus there is no doubt that if, when deeply depressed, we become indignant in spirit against the demon of corruption, this gives us the strength to despise even the presumptuousness of death. In order to make this clear, the Lord twice became indignant against death and troubled in spirit (cf. John 12:27, 13:21); and despite the fact that, untroubled, He could by a simple act of will do all that He wished, none the less when He restored Lazarus’ soul to his body He was indignant and troubled in spirit (cf. John 11:33) - which seems to me to show that a controlled incensive power is a weapon implanted in our nature by God when He creates us. If Eve had used this weapon against the serpent, she would not have been impelled by sensual desire. In my view, then, the man who in a spirit of devotion makes controlled use of his incensive power will without doubt be judged more favorably than the man who, because of the inertness of his intellect, has never become incensed. The latter seems to have an inexperienced driver in charge of his emotions, while the former, always ready for action, drives the horses of virtue through the midst of the demonic host, guiding the four-horsed chariot of self-control in the fear of God. This chariot is called ‘the chariot of Israel’ in the description of the taking up of the prophet Elijah (cf. 2 Kgs. 2:12); for God spoke clearly about the four cardinal virtues first of all to the Jews. This is precisely why Elijah ascended in a fiery chariot, guiding his own virtues as horses, when he was carried up by the Spirit in a gust of fire.

St. Diadochos of Photiki

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.