The Univerisity Of Notre Dame

Well it has always been my dream to go to the University of Notre and I am on the right track into being accepted ( I graduate from High School in 2012) but my parents do not want me to go all the way to Indiana to study, they want my to go to a local University ( I live in Sourthern California) it is not that they don't trust me, its that they want to keep me from harm and they can't do that when I am thousands of miles away. I don't want to give up on my dream but I don't want to go aganist my parents wishes. What should I do to keep my dream a reality?:confused:

Of course it is! You’ve worked hard to earn the grades to go to Notre Dame, and if you get in and can pay for it, you should go!

I understand that as a parent there is a desire to keep the kids near and protect them. I am sure I will have very mixed feelings when one of my little chicks wants to fly the coop! Unfortunately, sometimes we parents can “overprotect” - to the child’s detriment. On top of that, you will be 18 years of age or close to it by the time you leave for college - a grown man. Technically, they cannot keep you from doing what you want at that age. Sure, they can withhold financial assistance in an attempt to control what you do, but many people make it through college on their own dime and the appropriate use of loans.

Your parents must love you very much. Tell them how you feel ready and confident to strike out (to some extent!) on your own at the university of your dreams. Tell them that they did a great job raising you, and that you will be sure to make good choices once you leave the home. If they are good people, they will understand that sending you on your way will be bittersweet, but a great step in helping you become an independent adult.

Best of luck!

Why have you selected Notre Dame?

Allo

When picking a university you might consider this list of who not to pick.... From Cardinal Newman society.

blog.cardinalnewmansociety.org/2011/04/11/more-than-150-catholic-college-ties-to-planned-parenthood/

If you have your heart set on Notre Dame, you should go there. It is not realistic to expect your parents to approve of or support your decision; they just have to accept it. I assume you are financially able to support your self while in college. ND is very expensive and traveling far from home will add to that expense.

If you do not have the means to pay for it yourself (or the scholarships), you can usually file for aid as an independant student. You may have to take a year off to establish yourself as no longer financially part of your parents’ responsibility.

Good luck.

Are you looking for a Catholic University, or just a private University? This makes a big difference.

If you are looking for a Catholic University here is the list of the top 21.
cardinalnewmansociety.org/CardinalNewmanSociety/tabid/36/ctl/Details/mid/435/ItemID/634/Default.aspx
· Aquinas College, Nashville, Tenn.
· Ave Maria University, Ave Maria, Fla.
· Belmont Abbey College, Belmont, N.C.
· Benedictine College, Atchison, Kan.
· The Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C.
· Christendom College, Front Royal, Va.
· The College of Saint Thomas More, Fort Worth, Tex.
· DeSales University, Center Valley, Pa.
· Franciscan University of Steubenville, Steubenville, Oh.
· Holy Apostles College & Seminary, Cromwell, Conn.
· John Paul the Great Catholic University, San Diego, Calif.
· Magdalen College, Warner, N.H.
· Mount St. Mary’s University, Emmitsburg, Md.
· Providence College, Providence, R.I.
· St. Gregory’s University, Shawnee, Okla.
· Southern Catholic College, Dawsonville, Ga.
· Thomas Aquinas College, Santa Paula, Calif.
· The Thomas More College of Liberal Arts, Merrimack, N.H.
· University of Dallas, Irving, Tex.
· University of St. Thomas, Houston, Tex.
· Wyoming Catholic College, Lander, Wyo.

As a parent, I personally would not pay private tuition for a College or University that does not adhere to the Catholic Faith as stated in the "Catechism of the Catholic Church, Second Edition".
The CCC should be a student text book in the first or second year as part of the core ciricumlum.

I have a son at Notre Dame, it is as wonderful a school as it gets. He is about 1,000 miles away. We don’t see him very often but he is living his dream and we support that completely. We are happy and honored that he was accepted, and thank God every day that he is there even though we sometimes disagree with the administration on several issues. A top rated college. I have another son who will probably go to ND next year, he graduates next month.

I have a daughter at Thomas Aquinas College in Southern California. She’s even farther away and like her brother, she’s living her dream. Another top rated college, in fact one of the most authentic Catholic colleges in the nation. It has been a tremendous blessing to have her there. It is a great school, but like Notre Dame, it’s not for everyone.

It is very painful to have both of them far away, but it’s their lives, their dreams, their student loans, their future… in short it’s their decision and it’s a privilege to support them in that, whatever that is, we support them. It’s not about me, I cannot imagine withholding from my child his most important dream just because I’ll miss him. That seems rather selfish. It is an honor to any parent to have a child accepted to a school like Notre Dame. The standards are extremely high and let me tell you the student body is made up of fabulous young adults, so many are devote Catholics.

Apply for early decision and also there is a new scholarship called the Hesburgh-Yusko scholarship. Google on it, it’s the only academic based merit scholarship that ND offers. You can go to your school counselor and ask your counselor to nominate you for the scholarship. Very competitive. Do service this summer if you have the time, not only is the scholarship $25K per year, but it provides summer leadership/travel opportunities. Remember, most families get financial aid based on need (and just about everyone needs money to go to Notre Dame-believe me!), don’t let the money keep you from applying. Encourage your parents to talk to financial aid next Fall, early, for general advice.

Finally, have faith, if God wants you there, He will get you there. Be always respectful toward your parents and ask Our Lady to intervene for you. If God wants you there He will make it possible for you to go. If you are accepted, and if your parents still doubt, ask your parents to give you one year there. Also, tell them that there is a priest and a chapel in every guys dorm, there are no co-ed dorms, and that all females must leave the guys dorms by 12:00 on week nights and 2:00 am on weekends. Likewise for the girls dorms. That in itself should convince them to send you there. It’s easier to be virtuous under those rules. The priest who married us is a Notre Dame priest, he is a saint. You cannot ignore your faith at Notre Dame. There are probably more Masses every day at Notre Dame then there is anywhere else on this continent.

Ask your parents to list their three highest objections and/or concerns about your attending Notre Dame other than distance. Ask them if the three of you can address these impediments together so that they might feel more comfortable. You can certainly apply locally as well.

Fear of sending a child far from home is one that most parents share, but it’s too generalized to address. If they can be more specific, you may be able to focus on solutions together. If the school is beyond their means or their specific concerns are totally legitimate, then that is something you will have to respect. I’m struck that you do not want to go against your parents’ wishes. It’s refreshing.

[quote="ANNE_2, post:6, topic:236601"]
Are you looking for a Catholic University, or just a private University? This makes a big difference.

If you are looking for a Catholic University here is the list of the top 21.

As a parent, I personally would not pay private tuition for a College or University that does not adhere to the Catholic Faith as stated in the "Catechism of the Catholic Church, Second Edition".
The CCC should be a student text book in the first or second year as part of the core ciricumlum.

[/quote]

Just for the record, I once felt this way. But now I believe that if a highschooler wants to go to Notre Dame, it might be a good decision.... every case is unique. There is far more to Notre Dame then just a few issues. The university had similar problems thirty years ago, yet I met my husband there. It's not as simple as being on this list or on that list. Notre Dame is strict about parietals and has a statement about pre-marital sex (that sex should be reserved for marriage and pre-marital sex is damaging to all parties involved). The students at ND work very hard, the work ethic is strong which keeps everyone fairly busy.

We are talking about someone who is young and his most dearest dreams.... he is not asking for recommendations of other Catholic colleges. Let's not criticize his choice, but support it.

To the original poster, pray for your parents, pray that you may know God's will through the course of the application process. Pray for peace. And if you can, visit ND on a home game football weekend. That alone might sell your parents on the school. Football then Mass at the Basilica, then dinner and an evening Rosary at the Grotto might be all it takes to convince them. ND is a beautiful place and I hope that you are accepted and win the lottery too!

Sorry but I would never support or pay for going to Notre Dame, nor the Jesuit University that was my alma mater - until and unless they become once again faithful to the teachings of the Catholic Church that we all are required to adhere to.

There are many Universities that offer a good Catholic Education, and many good secular Universities if a religous education is not important.

Parents have the responsibility to teach and guide their Children.

I’m not talking about pro-abortion Obama speaking at the University - here is the recent latest.
•Watch-- “an independent collective to inform, mentor, and support women faculty at the University of Notre Dame”-- offers links to the Center for Reproductive Law and Policy, the National Abortion and Reproductive Rights Action League, and the Planned Parenthood Federation of America, which “believes in the fundamental right of each individual, throughout the world, to manage his or her fertility, regardless of the individual’s income, marital status, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, or residence.”

Why should anyone want to deprive this High Senior from hearing both sides of the issue?

youtube.com/watch?v=3NLOd9cXMjo

[quote="Catholic15, post:1, topic:236601"]
Well it has always been my dream to go to the University of Notre and I am on the right track into being accepted ( I graduate from High School in 2012) but my parents do not want me to go all the way to Indiana to study, they want my to go to a local University ( I live in Sourthern California) it is not that they don't trust me, its that they want to keep me from harm and they can't do that when I am thousands of miles away. I don't want to give up on my dream but I don't want to go aganist my parents wishes. What should I do to keep my dream a reality?:confused:

[/quote]

Hi Catholic 15.

I'm from California, and like you, I always wanted to go to Notre Dame. I got in, and I traveled the 2000 miles to go there. I didn't know a single person there. But I assure you, Notre Dame is the kind of school where friends are never in short supply.

As for safety, the campus is very safe. The 'dangerous' parts of South Bend are small and remote, and the university is well-patrolled. Also, the incidence of crimes among the student body is very low. Now, I'm a 6'5" male with an athletic build, so I tend to not think of personal safety as much as a petite young woman, but do I know plenty of women who felt safe at night walking back from the library or gym.

As to the naysayers about Notre Dame's lack of orthodoxy, Notre Dame is no bastion of heresy. If anything, it is split 50-50, and what you're not hearing about are the victories in the direction of orthodoxy.

So to any young prospective, I say this: If you want to be on the front lines of fighting for our faith, Notre Dame needs you. You won't be alone, thousands of other students are on your side, and scores of brilliant professors are available to provide you with guidance that is 100% with the Magisterium. Will you be challenged by people preaching heretical beliefs? At some point, no doubt. But guess what, you can challenge them, too! Even if they're tenured profs. I say, go get 'em...

Onward to victory! :shamrock2:

Weigh up how strong you are in your faith. How much does it mean to you to remain a Catholic? If you are weak in knowledge of the faith, I wouldn’t go to a college like Notre Dame. In fact, I agree with the people who have answered - if one of my sons wanted to go there, I would not pay for it and I would not approve of it.

Why is it your dream to go there? What is it about Notre Dame that you cannot get at another Catholic university?

I received a graduate degree in theology from the University of Notre Dame. NEVER did I encounter anything unorthodox. In fact, many of the young theology students are very orthodox and surprisingly conservative. The campus itself oozes Catholicity, from the statues around campus, the chapels in almost every building, the magnificent basilica, the outstanding campus ministry, several masses celebrated every day, the daily rosary in the grotto, eucharistic adoration, an outstanding sacred music program. You can’t go anywhere on campus and not know its Catholic. The minute you step on campus you are treated as family. They really care about the students.

And their football program IS making a comeback and will rise again. GO IRISH!

If any of my kids had the grades to get in, which they didn’t, I would have sent them there in a heartbeat.

I just want to thank everyone about the comments they posted, they have given me a lot to think about, whether it is still my top choice or not but I will trust in the Lord and if he wants me to attend the University of Notre Dame then I will go but if I am not meant to attend then I will know that I am meant to study somewhere eles.

God Bless all of you for showing your concern for me and my faith thank you for everything…

[quote="Catholic15, post:14, topic:236601"]
I just want to thank everyone about the comments they posted, they have given me a lot to think about, whether it is still my top choice or not but I will trust in the Lord and if he wants me to attend the University of Notre Dame then I will go but if I am not meant to attend then I will know that I am meant to study somewhere eles.

God Bless all of you for showing your concern for me and my faith thank you for everything...

[/quote]

You will love Notre Dame! It is beautiful. It is wonderful. It has the #1 business school in the nation (says Business Week) and is ranked 19th out of all American universities. It is a bastion of Catholicism. Confessions 3 times daily, daily rosary, Eucharistic Adoration, 150 public Masses per week!!! Nowhere else but Notre Dame. I am jealous. I wish I could do it all over again.

GO TO NOTRE DAME AND NEVER LOOK BACK!!! Our Lady will protect you. GO IRISH!!!

Hi - I had some reservations about Notre Dame when my son decided to go there. That was right when the whole mess with Obama was happening. The Notre Dame I heard about from the media was not the Notre Dame I encountered at orientation week. I was so impressed and felt to safe leaving my son there. Are there some problems? Yes - but I definitely feel the good outweighs the bad - by far. I have a second son heading there in August.

As for the distance - I can understand that too. We are pretty far from Notre Dame and have a hard time getting him home for breaks, etc. The airport in Southbend is small and the next airport is Chicago. So, traveling is expensive and time consuming. If there is a problem - we can't be there in a few hours. I think depending on the student and the family - that is something to be considered.

Now the tuition is another matter.........Yikes!

I am a pretty “orthodox” Catholic, who graduated from what has become a liberal Jesuit university (still pretty traditional when I was there.) I have little respect for institutions who call themselves one thing, but often act in another way entirely in order to attract a wider customer base.

That said, and despite thinking it was appalling that Obama was invited, some of the very best, most orthodox Catholic families I know have sent their (brilliant) children to Notre Dame and their faith was only strengthened. The Catholicity is pervasive (we’ve been there to check it out for younger dd who decided the cold and wind would have done here in!) and it seems that there has been a decided shift back to more traditional Catholic values. Frankly, I wish that my alma mater took as much pride in its (supposed) Catholicity as does Notre Dame.

Which 50% are you talking about? 50% of the faculty are heretics? :wink:

I think it would truly be a sad day when our Lady’s university could only boast being 50% Catholic (or when people would see that as a good thing).

Then there’s this link:

blog.cardinalnewmansociety.org/2011/03/02/at-notre-dame-pro-abortion-rights-former-senator-gives-address-on-common-good/

If you can, arrange a campus visit. The place is amazing, especially on football weekends. Also, check to see a out local alumni clubs where you can meet and ask questions.

I was married there 17 years ago today. My folks and I never regretted the sacrifices we made for me to go there (I wasn’t a legacy). My son wants to go there, and I would love nothing more.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.