The Universal Priesthood

As Catholics, we believe in a three-fold priesthood: Jesus Christ is the High Priest, and the Head of the Church. There is also the universal priesthood of all members of the Church, as well as the ministerial priesthood that we commonly know as “the priesthood”. What does this universal priesthood mean in the Catholic Church? I come from the Mormon Church, where they believe in a priesthood for all men, which (they believe) allows these men to bless, give the gift of the Holy Spirit, baptize, etc etc. What is the role of the universal priesthood of the Church in comparison to the Mormons? Are there books on this subject? I think that’s something we sometimes forget as Catholics. Through baptism and confirmation, we become part of that universal priesthood of believers, but what does that mean?

Random late night thoughts :slight_smile:

My dear friend

you can get some info from my blog about what’s so special about catholic priests… It’s in my siganature- the link to my blogs that is.

God bless you and welcome to Gods family - the church. The biggest family on earth.:thumbsup::slight_smile:
John

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.