The University of Dallas

Anyone familiar with the University of Dallas? Any opinions on it? How does it compare to schools like Steubenville or Christendom?

Thanks,
Sarpedon

As I understand from various sources, it is a university that is
faithful to the magisterium (sp?) Many of its graduates have
become priests, religious or go into lay ministries. One young
lady who was President of her high school pro-life club, is
a student there now and I have seen her on Jason Evert’s
show on EWTN. I

I work nearby the university and have friends who have attended classes there. Additionally, I often receive the sacrament of reconciliation at the Church of the Incarnation, the on-campus church. Further, I have attended Mass there on occasion. My feelings on the quality of education are mixed, however. As the previous poster has admitted, some of the students have gone on from there to do good work for the Church and for the lay faithful, however, I have known some personally who have since left the faith after attending courses there. The environment overall, seems too liberal for my tastes, though I am more conservative than most Catholics I know…Presently, I would probably not send any of my children there for higher education. I would rather see them attend courses at Ave Maria or Christendom College or perhaps even Franciscan (StewbyU), as a last resort, as an alternative.

Fr Mitch Pacwa used to teach there at UD, I believe.

Just to be picky :wink: it’s Steubie U

I attended UD for a brief period of time and loved it!! I was also 10 hours away from my fam so I was very homesick and didn’t last too long:o But I am still friends w/ the people I met there and they are all very faithful CAtholics. I do know that as far as academics go that Steubenville is easier (I had a brother and a sis that went to Franciscan, so I can honestly say that is true) than UD. I didn’t feel that UD was liberal at all (and I am a very conservative CAtholic). I went to daily Mass when I attended there and so did many of my friends. It was an awesome feeling for me to have friends that actually WANTED to go to Mass and Confession (whereas my DH went to a state uni and didn’t have that feeling at all in college:shrug: )

Overall, I say if you are in High school that you should visit there. I loved the people, staff, and Dallas (it’s a nice city w/ lots of things to do) If only I could have stuck it out longer…:blush: :shrug:

I am an alum of UD. (My last year there was in 1999- a couple credits short of my degree, but that’s another story.)

It’s a family school, and one of my cousins attended after I did, till 2006. I loved UD and wouldn’t trade my years there for the world. It was extremely and rigorously devoted to a classical education, focusing on literature, philosophy, theology, etc. Strong, vibrant, conservative Catholic faith community.

However: I have heard through the family grapevine that it’s not quite as orthodox as it used to be. The last couple of years I was there, we got a new provost. Under his influence, I did see a gradual shift toward a more liberal “state school” atmosphere. Since I left I hear that things are still generally moving in that direction. Which is such a shame, if it’s true.

Don’t take this post as the final word. It’s just the experience and observations of one alum. UD is, or at least was, so exceptional that I think it’s definitely worth a second look. Keep doing your research, and visit if you can.

Basically, I love UD!

I’m a current UD student. There are some people here who go to Mass every day and/or go to the 6-something AM mass at Cistercian. All the Catholics I know fulfill the Sunday obligation and I think most have attended confession at least once. Most of the students are Catholic, but there are some Protestants (like me!) and a handful of Muslim students.

There is some partying, but most of it goes on off campus and I have not come into contact with any of it. The West side of campus tends to be the more “typical” college side. I’m not sure how typical it is, though. The East side is more conservative. People will stay up late and hang out, but they very rarely break any rules.

Academically, UD is challenging. Anyone who doesn’t like to read SHOULD NOT come here! There’s a lot of emphasis on papers in some/most classes, as well. Six credits of theology are required of everyone. The Core Curriculum is extensive, but I’m glad it exists. I’ve heard nothing but good about the Rome program.

I have no idea how it compares to the other universities you mentioned, because I’m not familiar with them.

Hah! I never thought about that, but it’s kinda true. Generally speaking, of course. I lived in the West quad. :slight_smile:

As far as partying off campus…I guess Old Mill and the Student Apts. count as off-campus…? Do they still do Groundhog?
There was actually quite a lot of partying, especially drinking, when I went to UD. (Class of 1999). At the freshman orientation, we were told that UD stood for “you drink?” Didn’t seem to have changed much when I went back to visit when my cousins attended later.

But honestly, it wasn’t/isn’t worse than most college campuses, and like you said, it’s probably a lot better.

People will stay up late and hang out, but they very rarely break any rules.

Weelll…Broad brush there.

Academically, UD is challenging. Anyone who doesn’t like to read SHOULD NOT come here! There’s a lot of emphasis on papers in some/most classes, as well. Six credits of theology are required of everyone. The Core Curriculum is extensive, but I’m glad it exists. I’ve heard nothing but good about the Rome program.

100% agreed! I was always the “smart girl” in grade school, top of the class. UD humbled me. It is extremely challenging academically, in the best possible way. They expect a lot from the students. For me, I took that as faith in my potential, and it inspired me to do better.

Hannah: does Fr. Maguire still teach there?

Old Mill counts as off-campus, though I believe the school is going to be controlling it soon so it’ll become on-campus. Student Apts. are controlled by the school and so they are on-campus. They do have Groundhog still, but it’s school sponsored (not sure if that happened before, during, or after your time there).
I have never heard for UD standing for that. I have a couple friends that drink, but they don’t go to parties or anything. Though, I’m not on the West side. I’ve heard stories from over there…

It really depends who your friends are, I suppose. You can find parties if you want, but you can also avoid them very easily.

Weelll…Broad brush there.

Okay, to expand: that usually means watching movies and talking in a dorm lounge late at night and possibly going to a restaurant.

Hannah: does Fr. Maguire still teach there?

YES! I haven’t had him, but I’ve seen him brought to the jail during Charity Week…Did he put up a fight like that when you were there?

I graduated from UD in 1982. Compared to state schools and even other Catholic schools my friends attended, UD was morally conservative and educationally challenging. There was a lot of partying, but of course, back then the drinking age in TX was 18. It isn’t for the academically faint of heart. To whom much is given, much will be expected in return. The admissions criteria is tough (but not impossible), so they know that those they accept have the smarts to do well. Motivation is another thing altogether.

People do well out of there. I have maintained a strong Catholic faith (with ups and downs, like most everybody). Lots of doctors and lawyers come out of the pre-med and pre-law tracks. At the time I graduated, UD boasted a virtually 100% med school acceptance rate for those who graduated pre-med. The school had (don’t know if it still does) a graduated GPA requirement that allows for some slip ups during freshman and sophomore years, but to stay on as a junior and senior requires better GPAs. Studying was not an option there, and I had graduated high school at the top of my class. I wouldn’t do it any differently if I had it to do over again. Of course, I met my wife of 25 years there, so maybe I’m a little biased.

The school had a very strong conservative bent toward politics, also, as well as overwhelming support for the military.

Holy Trinity seminary was collocated with the school, so many classes have both “lay” and seminary students. Quite a few in my class jumped over to seminary after the first year. I guess the call comes in many ways.

The school’s Rome program is fantastic, giving all students the opportunity to spend a semester at the school’s own campus in Rome at just about the same cost as a semester in Irving, TX. Virtually everybody participated in the Rome program, and I still have incredibly great memories of art classes in the Pantheon and Western Civ lectures on the ancient Olympian grounds in Greece.

They still have that requirement.

I had one class last semester with a seminarian in it. Nearly everyone still goes to Rome.

I have never been to the U of Dallas but the Poli Sci program is grounded in political philosophy and respects the Great Books. it has a distinct conservative flavor. It is a very unique and solid program. You can’t go wrong if your interests are in government and politics.

What are “the Great Books”?
I am not a poli sci person, but DH is. But I don’t want to seem silly and ask him.

In a nutshell, it is a list of the works, from ancient times to the 20th century, that have shaped our civilization. A few examples: the works of Homer, Aristotle, Sophocles, the Bible, Plato, Virgil, St. Augustine, St. Thomas Aquinas, Dante, Chaucer, da Vinci, Milton, Locke, Voltaire, Sir Walter Scott, Austen…you see where I’m going with this.

i’ve heard that it USED to be faithful to the church but that there was a big rift and those professors that were faithful left…anyone else here this???

There are at least two priests who teach there (probably more – I don’t know all of the professors).

I highly doubt this story is true.

I’m still doing research on UD. I have a water project adjacent to the campus. Yes. That’s my fault. But I try to go to the 12:05 P.M. mass when time permits. I’ve heard mixed reviews about it. I dind’t even know it was there or Catholic on top of that unitl my reversion. I’m the guy with the blue dog chain around my neck. I either wear my old seminary jacke or the gray mariner jacket I bought in Germany. Sometimes I use a cat tail for penance…oh okay that parts a lie.

I’ve decided to go throug Franciscan University via distance learning for a Graduate degree in theology. I’m afraid I might terminate an unorthodox theology professor in a Catholic seminary and I’d certainly call him /her on heresy. I’ve already had my heart sewn back into my chest after having it torn to pieces by those we should be able to trust the most.

If time and money permit I would like to use UD for a PhD. But that’s up to God. FYI: Holy Trinity Seminary is on campus to the north. I took my son there about a month ago for a special invitation.

This is exactly how I spent most weekends! I loved it so much. Gregory and Madonna were the real party dorms when I was there. I was in Jerome first year, then Augustine for the rest. Had a lot of East Quad friends, tho! :slight_smile:

YES! I haven’t had him, but I’ve seen him brought to the jail during Charity Week…Did he put up a fight like that when you were there?

LOL! Yes, he was known for that even before I started (1996). The challenge was to build a jail that could hold him…They never could, at least not when I was there. I don’t know how long you have left at UD but I recommend taking one of his classes if you possibly can. Even as an elective. I had him for Lit Trads I and III, if I remember correctly.

To this day, whenever I hear anyone talk about the “best teacher they ever had,” I always think of Fr. Mcguire.

I also doubt that this is true.

UD had a few flaky professors 10 years ago. I know a few of them are still there. A couple are department heads, actually. But we’re talking about the resident oddballs- every campus has them, and they don’t reflect on the school as a whole.

Another thing is, yes…in my opinion UD did start to sway in a generally more secular direction during my last couple years there. At least compared to my first years, and what I knew about the school from even before that. (7 people from 3 generations of my family have gone to UD.) I think this shift was primarily a leadership issue, and I wouldn’t say at all that the school is not “faithful” to the Church.

And who knows, some of these issues may have corrected themselves over the past 10 years…From the posts on this thread so far, I’m kind of relieved to see that it hasn’t really changed maybe as much as I’d feared. :slight_smile:

I very sincerely recommend UD to anyone who’s looking for a serious education in the Classics.

Is Sybil still there? I remember her very well.

Groundhog, aww, those were the days…(as I sit here daydreaming:D ) and yes, Old MIll I would consider off campus, I was there constantly in my short time there (had a family member that lived in there and went to UD, graduated in 1997)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.