The use of Dream Herbs

Hello everybody, my name is The Guardian. It is a pleasure being with you all on this forum.
My question pertains to dreaming and the use of dream herbs. I am very curious about this subject. I don’t intend to use herbs to find answers or open up my mind to something more spiritual. My intended use is to use them just to have vivid and more interesting dreams.

Calea zacatechichi is a herb I am interested and I wanted to know your thoughts and using herbs to enhance dreaming and if you think it is against biblical laws or teachings or against church doctrine.

Thank you very much.

I would avoid the stuff, “The Guardian.”

Frankly the use of any drug for anything other than strict medical purposes is stupid.
If you need to take drugs to become more spiritually enlightened then I think you have problems.

I react strongly to the question and I’m sure my American Catholic culture has much to do with it. But I think it is universally understood in our faith that faith and spirituality comes from God, not from things we find or grow in the soil. The herbs can ruin your brain and we are taught our bodies are temples. Why would you ruin the temple?

I don’t want spiritual enlightenment from herbs. I am aware that enlightenment comes from God. I said I am not seeking anything spiritual. I like to dream. I like to write my dreams down and reread them. I am wondering about a single purpose. Which is just to have vivid dreams. Not seeking any guidance or astral projection. Just to enhance the dream state to remember dreams more.

Let me repeat what I said.

Frankly the use of any drug for anything other than strict medical purposes is stupid.

My question does not pertain to that. My question is about doctrine or teachings that prohibit
the use of dream herbs. I said my interest, and I am looking for positive feedback.

Does that mean you want people to be positive about it, and tell you it’s o.k.?

FWIW, I have no idea whether or not it’s o.k. from a Catholic theological standpoint.

My guess is that any dream enhancing herb, if it really works, is probably illegal.

The Church usually doesn’t make a laundry list of forbidden practices because they simply couldn’t keep up and would be impractical.

But there are principles that are fairly easy to apply even though many people work really hard to pretend not to understand them (look at Chastity and the 6th Commandment for example).

One of those principles is that just because one’s subjective intentions are good (or in this case, not bad), that doesn’t I’m free and clear to do things.

One of the things that is highly problematic is taking things and practices with known associations with other religions and pretend to drain it of its religious significance.

I remember one guy who liked Tarot cards and defended it on the grounds that he didn’t use them for divination, he just liked the pretty pictures. He was married, so I suggested an experiment: keep a bunch of pictures of ex-girlfriends around the house. When your wife demands an explanation (hopefully not at the point of a kitchen knife), tell her you have no intention of doing something naughty with them, you just like the pretty pictures.

That’s how it is with God. You don’t get to dance before the golden calf and then say, “Hey, I’m not reveling. I’m just getting some exercise!”

You will not get positive feedback.

The Church, as another poster has mentioned, does not list drugs which are not permitted because that is not practical.
However, the Church teaching on the use of drugs is clear.

CCC 2291 The use of drugs inflicts very grave damage on human health and life.** Their use, except on strictly therapeutic grounds, is a grave offense.** Clandestine production of and trafficking in drugs are scandalous practices. They constitute direct co-operation in evil, since they encourage people to practices gravely contrary to the moral law.

Thank you. That is all I wanted. What I meant by positive feedback is answering my question without hostility. Saying that taking herbs as drugs is stupid did not answer my question. Stating something from the CCC was great and biblical examples.

I am a very curious person and I wanted to know what you all thought of dream herbs
before I set out to actually try it. Now I won’t because it does go against biblical standards.

Thanks

And like I said, from teachings standpoint, we are taught our bodies are the temple of the Lord, and everyone is telling you that since herbs are not good for you not to take them. So what? if you like to dream. If someone likes to jump from a stair step, does that mean they should try jumping from a roof?

I think using herbs not certified by the FDA as safe and effective is a problem. I’m not against all herbs since some do have legitimate medicinal properties but paying money to have lucid dreams? Why? Also, consult with your doctor. Especially if you are taking prescription or over the counter medicines since complications might occur.

The original use of the plant is described as “a plant used by the indigenous Chontal of the Mexican state of Oaxaca for oneiromancy (a form of divination based on dreams.)” Which is against Catholic teaching.

God bless,
Ed

I’ll speak to you in the language of my ancestors. Bro, you totes should. Peppermint tea is known to cause more vivid dreams, and I started drinking it just to have cooler dreams.

Don’t let anyone tell you something that doesn’t even cause you to be intoxicated is wrong.

But yeah, if you are wanting to dream and access some dream powers (occult), then definitely don’t do it. That would be mortally sinful. But if you’re just wanting some awesome dreams, go for it.

EDIT: I read some of the previous posts, if it is specifically connected to Mesoamerican divinity worship, you probably shouldn’t do it. Sounds suspicious. Drink tea though. I don’t think its actually caused me to have any better dreams… but it does taste good!

I am not into divinity **** and magical powers and psychic dream stuff.
I always been fascinated with dreams and sleep. Dreams are like movies to me.
I drink chamomile and valarian root is very good if you cant get to sleep. It is a sleep aid like melotonin but safer to take and no after affects. Valarian root helps with R.E.M.

As far as calea goes, yet shamans of mexico and other cultures use it for spiritual and divinity purpose and seek guidance through dreams. My intention is just to have cool dreams but I think I’ll stick to tea haha.

Much appreciated.

The only method to encourage communication with god not as a primary venture but as a side effect is a radically holy life.

Initially your dreams will pertain to issues of yourself but as you mature it will pertain to other people or nations. All if which you must pray and make penances for. It is not to satisfy vain curiosity.

Bk

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.